Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

8850U?!? o_O

Edit
    Nevermind, I saw the datasheet. The four configurations on the HP site were misleading.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

:eek:

Only if you enjoy working with a tablet that is heavier than an entire ThinkPad Yoga 12!

3. Azzart

I read on an italian blog that the discrete graphics is inside the keyboard. Isn it possible?

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given the thickness and weight of both the keyboard and tablet.....I somewhat doubt they would put the discrete graphics in the keyboard. And it would be a bit unnessicary given the size of the device. As is, the keyboard does have its own battery and Bluetooth functionality....(like the Z-Canvas) but I can't seeing them fitting anymore let alone a graphics chip in it.

5. darkmagistric

Keep in mind this is a 14 inch screen with Express Keys on both sides.....there's no way it's going to match the portability of a 10-12 inch Surface Pro, Galaxy Book, or yoga....This things main competition is the Mobile Studio Pro and Surface Book more then anything. Once you're already at a large enough size, weight is far less of an issue, especially if they compensate by adding heaps of functionality which they did in spades on this thing.

Tams, Selofain and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Fair enough, but note that the Surface Book 2 15" weighs 4.2 lbs total including keyboard base, meaning the 15" tablet will be close to 2 lbs, compared to the 14" ZBook X2 tablet portion at 3.65 lbs. So even for its size it's pretty heavy. I'm sure it has many benefits like an onboard dGPU and long battery life, just saying that it's on the portly side.

Edit: yup, 70WH battery! That adds some heft. :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. Darth_Moose

Darth_Moose Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe I heard the same thing on a video hands on, but It does seem rather unlikely it would be in the keyboard, especially if they expect people to drive 2 additional monitors while having the keyboard detached for shortcuts (a mode they're advertising on their site).

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would also add that the HDMI port is only 1.4...seems odd to cheap out on this, given the other high-end specs.

But let's address the elephant in the room: screen size/aspect ratio. What are you sacrificing by going 16:9?

Here's a small graphic I created comparing the screen dimensions of various workstation slates:

[​IMG]

So the ZBX2 screen is basically a landscape-extended version of the Z Canvas screen, while the SB2 15" screen is like portrait-extended version of the ZBX2 screen. Overall, the ZBX2 has about the same area as the SB 13.5".

(And interestingly, the MSP16 screen is like a landscape-extended version of the SB 13.5" with about the same area as the SB2 15" screen.)

9. Azzart

Seems unlikely to me too, even if I read in more than one place.

10. darkmagistric

That and the Surface Book's form factor necessitates both the Tablet and Keyboard Portion be relatively similar in weight and size. In case of the Surface Book they are able to offset a larger portion of the Battery, the Ports, and the Graphics Chip in the keyboard Base.

I still think its unlikely the Graphics Card (or battery) are in the keyboard cover on this thing......so under that assumption, given the weight of the both the Book 2 and Zbook X2 are fairly similar....the Tablet Portion's extra weight on the Zbook is just more due to this distribution. That and the express keys/bezel certainly has to add a bit of heft.....which isn't an issue with the Book2, but one I'm rather glad to see since even Wacom is stepping away from Express Keys as evident by the current Cintiq Pro series.