Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't remember where I got the idea that it was a module. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro the Quadro M620 has an MXM-A interface rather than PCI-E. The whole idea behind MXM was to allow users to upgrade, and other Zbook models have been upgradeable. I guess I put 2 and 2 together and made 5. Apologies and thanks Marty for pointing this out.

In light of this, any suggestions on how to compare Quadro M620 with Geforce GTX 1060 mobile for SolidWorks? I've studied SolidWorks 2017 benchmarks (http://www.solidworks.co.uk/sw/support/shareyourscore.htm) but I get the impression that SW benchmarks can be flakey and the gpu performance is probably heavily influenced by cooling and other components. However, the fastest scores in laptops appear to be:

M620 in a Dell Precision 3520: 8.3s
    GTX 1060 in a Lenovo 80YY: 8.1s

For comparison and to give a sense of scale:

M1000M in a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro: 10.2s
    My 2012 T902 with HD4000 graphics: 24s
    M4000M in a colleague's Dell Precision 7000: 3.8s

If the M620 and GTX 1060 SolidWorks performances are really that similar, I'm thinking the HP is probably a better bet for SolidWorks because the Quadro card will enable realview in SolidWorks without having to muck about in the registry, and also because of the detachable bluetooth keyboard, Thunderbolt 3 ports, and Quick keys. I wonder how long before it's available with the i7-8650U quoted on the spec sheet...

2. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

There are some interesting images of a Zbook 17 G3 in post #48 here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-zbook-17-g3-owners-lounge.788223/page-5

It's a larger machine but the architecture and particularly the cooling has similarities to the ZBX2. It does have a GPU module. If the ZBX2 had a module in the same location, it would be behind the silver/white area in Marty's image and you wouldn't necessarily be able to see it. Could it be an upgradeable module after all?

Attached Files:

3. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I don't know how relevant to this thread this is, and a lot of you know way more than me when it comes to tech, but...

today, the full program of clip studio paint has been launched on the iPad Pro 2, and that's actually my main program for illustration (i use a bit of photoshop to add a few special glow effects here and there...).

and the iPad is here now, and will likely be a lot less than the Zbook x2, especially for what I need it to do.
    does anyone know how much stress it can handle...?

Marty likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Take a look closely along the bottom of the white area. The blue of the motherboard PCB runs continuous across the area between the fans. In the orientation you are suggesting there would be no room for the MXM connector. The space simply is too narrow for 70x82mm of a MXM-A card.

Though not specifically for Solidworks, the best general comparison I can give is from this post on the Autodesk forums:

[​IMG]

"The Quadro rules the single-fixed legacy now obsolete rendering pipeline (which CAD uses), but by implementing modern rendering methods this can be significantly reduced (virtually no speed gain in Maya's Viewport 2.0, it uses GLSL effects - very similar to game engine)."

In my estimation, a GTX1060 in a gaming laptop would trounce the M620, especially considering the relatively small shared heatsink on the ZBX2.

(And I also feel the Quadro driver lockout on GTX cards is borderline collusion between Nvidia and CAD developers, and I wouldn't support it if I had the choice. ;))

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

What kind of details are you looking for? The screen protectors I used were Photodon. I always save the plastic covers they come with so I can put them back on the screen protector for exactly this reason.

You can reuse them infinitely until they fall apart, since they depend on static cling to stick rather than adhesive or something other such nonsense.

6. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm interesting

7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

At $8.99 a month after the six month free trial. Nice free trial, but they can get bent at that price. They couldn't even be bothered to adapt the UI properly.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Oh, they did: they made it worse than how it would have been if they left it completely unchanged. :D

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Hey, that's this Tuesday! Do we have any takers?

godofiron likes this.
  10. zedata

zedata Pen Pal - Newbie

I was holding out till I could hear about all the configuration options and prices to sell my Vaio Z Canvas. It looks like tomorrow will be the big day.