Zbook X2 just anounced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What are your goto apps for drawing and painting? Both Photoshop?

Have you tried Painter? Does it has realistic support for brush rotation?

Any other apps you recommend thst have a good brush engine (with rotation)?

DaniJoy likes this.
  2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Yes i use Painter 2017 and Photoshop. Both are great. Rotation and tilt work also in Paintstorm, Artrage and possibly Black Ink. I didnt have time to figure out the interface on that one and it was not stable when i tried it a year ago.

Im really hoping Wacom releases a Art Pen 2 for the new EMR

Marty likes this.
  3. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Im loving my vaio z canvas, I cant live without having a dedicated physical button that disables touch input for when I'm taking notes and painting/drawing, not having to worry about palm rejection is invaluable. I draw portraits, but yea this machine looks interesting although I made a rule long ago, never under any cirumstances buy HP. Had problems with all there products in past from printers to laptops, plastic junk but this looks intersting. I know they have been making premium laptops for a long time, there laptop workstations always impressed me but they were always extremly expensive.

Im still playing around with the screenprotectors for the canvas. Iv got the heavy duty 6HS on it now but also an MXO one thats better suited for drawing and touch. Anyone know how to slick up your screenprotectors so your stylus glides across them better whilst drawing. Iv got profesional polish that I use on cars but Im not certain that would work in this situation. For some reason some spots have more drag then others on myn.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I need a Macbook Pro 15" replacement. The Zbook X2 seems like it...finally! My only reservation is build quality and tough components, The MacBook Pro is a tank.

godofiron likes this.
  5. zedata

zedata Pen Pal - Newbie

-
    I agree about the dedicated button to disable touch but even if the new Zbook X2 didn't have one it still seems like a worthwhile upgrade for the other features that I recall many Vaio Z Canvas users asking for. I say all this while still realizing that the price of the top tier model may be a deterrent. As for screen protectors on the Z Canvas, I've been using these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0169SB4MY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jbaks likes this.
  6. jbaks

hmm I think my screen protector was just greasy maybe, it seems to work a little better after trying a few different techniques using isopropyl/microfiber cloth/paper towel. Like i said im using the really thick scratch resistant shatter resistant one, but i got one that is better for touch as well. Which brings me to another question, Steve or anyone you guys ever saved a expensive screen protector for later use. I payed close to 50 for this one, and I want to try the MXO one, I seen a video of a dude putting an phone screen protector on sticky tape. Can they be saved and stored for later use?

7. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm stuck choosing between the Surface Book 2 and the ZBX2.

As a SolidWorks user, a Quadro card is generally preferable to and will outperform a GeForce, but the GTX 1060 in the SB2 is pretty powerful. As others have pointed out, the Quadro M620 offered by HP isn't a powerful card.

However, the ZBX2 has an MXM-A interface for a discrete gpu. It seems people have successfully upgraded MXM-A gpus in Zbooks before. Could that be a possibility?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module
    suggests that a Quadro M2200 is the most powerful GPU that can fit this interface. Its TDP is 55W versus 30W for the M620, so even if it could be made to work, there may be thermal issues.

On paper, the M2200 is twice as fast as the M620 or M1000M. Might be nice...

Looking at that wikipedia link, it's a shame there isn't a 15" version of the ZBX2 machine with space for an MXM-B interface!

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which source did you get this at? Considering the layout of the heatsink:

[​IMG]

It looks like the GPU is integrated into the motherboard for space and routing efficiency. It would be extremely difficult to fit an MXM module in that extremely tight configuration.

Floater likes this.
  9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I've done it. However, you will never get it as dust-free as the first time in subsequent uses. But they are washable, so you can wash away all but the most stubborn dust pieces.

jbaks likes this.
  10. jbaks

so fill me in on details