Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Mine is showing LGD05A4...>>

...I am showing the same entry

2. Rip2137

Rip2137 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I appreciate all of your help. I honestly can't figure out what is tripping the installer to fail. Its really frustrating but I will have to deal with it until some fix is found(If it ever is)

3. Steve S

Well, I'm bummed. My X2 is stuck on a BSOD and absolutely refuses to boot. It's stuck in a loop; the only option that works is "Shut Down This PC"...

I was sketching with the keyboard detached and everything was normal. But when I reattached the keyboard, touch became inoperative. Tried a system restore, no change. Tried HP's touch troubleshooter, no change; in fact, no recognition that there was even a problem. Started through HP's advanced troubleshooting instructions; after advancing through several elementary screens ("...Make sure your computer has a touch screen..."), I arrived at "try a hard restart." At that point, the X2 crashed and wouldn't reboot. Kind of ironic that I was following HP's own instructions...

I have the extended warranty, so I'm not overly concerned, but I am surprised at how fragile the BIOS / OS appears to be. Sure Start is apparently not so "sure"...

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm...that’s troubling to hear.....by chance maybe it has something to do with Windows updates. I haven’t had this issue with the Zbook (not yet anyway) but for the past year with my Mobile Studio Pro 13...there would be random times when the touch (or sometimes instead the pen, but more often the touch) would stop working randomly. And every time that happens.....when I go to restart my computer......there’s that ‘Install Windows Update and Restart” option. It’s like..,,since Windows is downloading the update data rather discreetly.....it feels to me like its deliberately trying to facilitate the update installation by making the computer partial inoperable, and once the update is installed. Touch works just fine again. Even though your case ending a BSOD.... maybe it’s HPs update software butting heads with Windows Update.

5. Steve S

<<...And every time that happens.....when I go to restart my computer......there’s that ‘Install Windows Update and Restart”...>>

...Needless to say, the very first thing that I tried was a simple restart, but no joy. Also tried restart and shut down / start with various combinations of keyboard attached / not attached. I saw no indication that Windows Update might be involved.

Will try to talk to the Workstation Support group today or tomorrow.

PS: I think you've said that you find the Surface Pro pen OK for art. Get the new Slim Pen...! (See the Microsoft forum)

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. PapaCrazy

PapaCrazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Huge red lights flashing here. This is the second time in the thread I read of HP stopping production. Does anyone have anymore info? Is this due to update or axing? I think HP owes the Z Book's intended market - who are trying to plan their workflows for the long term - some transparency.

This has been my dream device for a while, but lack of GPU grunt, battery, and other minor issues have been keeping me from spending the money, hoping HP would refine the design. I seriously hope they don't interpret lack of sales for lack of interest. It's the specs (and maybe price) that drive people off, not the beautiful form factor.

If this is the end of the road for the Z Book I'm not sure what to do, compromise for what it is and purchase an EOL device that's slightly dated and graphically under-powered to achieve a user experience I have dreamed decades about? Or have hope in the future? I said "have hope in the future" when the modbook came out over ten years ago. The price was ridiculous and it was underpowered. Things change, and yet they stay the same. It's amazing how slow this form factor (serious workstation slate) has been to catch on.

This is my first post. You people seem to get it. So, tablet denizens, what should I do?

Marty likes this.
  7. Steve S

<<...Huge red lights flashing here. This is the second time in the thread I read of HP stopping production. Does anyone have anymore info?..>>

...I may get some information about this soon, but my take is the same as yours; it certainly looks like the X2 may be (probably is?) getting sunset.

<<...I seriously hope they don't interpret lack of sales for lack of interest...>>

...I don't mean to offend, but this is a stupid... uninformed?... comment. Of course lack of sales is taken as lack of interest. Companies spend their profits developing products; if the products don't sell, most companies will throw in the towel and move on. VAIO did it on the Z Canvas and although it looks like HP may have sold more X2s, the signs do not look good for the X2, either.

<<...This has been my dream device for a while, but...issues have been keeping me from spending the money, hoping HP would refine the design...>>

...If you and others made this decision, thereby depressing the sales of the first version, why would HP be incentivized to make an updated version...?

<<...If this is the end of the road for the Z Book I'm not sure what to do, compromise for what it is...Or have hope in the future?..>>

...First of all, I think you need to be realistic about what can be done in a tablet form factor. The X2 is just a few ounces short of five pounds! Computing and graphics power comes with size and weight. Given contemporary technology and "reasonable" operating expectations, the X2 is probably near the upper right limit of what is acceptable. And, as you point out, workstation grade tablets are not very common. So I would say consider buying now while at least some of the 8th gen X2s are still available. The good news may be that, if we are right, prices will come down accordingly. Being slightly dated can have its advantages...

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That was a bit harsh. I know what @PapaCrazy is talking about.

I was on the fence about the Z Canvas because of the price tag, even after dedicating a lengthy thread and hours of research on it from Japanese sources. It was only after multiple testimonials and a sale from MS that I decided to go through importing to Canada.

Every OEM should also account for latent demand for a product (especially first-gen products), not just realized sales.

MS did that with the Surface Pro line—despite almost everyone calling it a failure out-the-gate—and eventually achieved success.

9. Steve S

<<...Every OEM should also account for...MS did that with the Surface Pro line...and eventually achieved success...>>

...What we think OEMs should do, and what they do are two separate things. In the case at hand we're talking about a niche product and those are always the one that are least likely to be rousing successes. Businesses aren't charities and if a product can't even break even, it's not going to survive.

As for Surface, that was different. Microsoft was establishing a product line and knew that the first few rounds would likely not be profitable. They stuck with it until Surface turned the corner, because that was their strategy. Their eyes were wide open.

<<...That was a bit harsh...>>

...No, it was realistic. People who want to talk about companies and their behavior should first understand business cases. The real business world is much colder than you think it is...

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. PapaCrazy

PapaCrazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, more info would be extremely helpful.I'd be sad to see it go.

No offense taken, I did not claim to speak for HP suits. I’m making this decision as a user, not an influencer of market trends. And as a user, it seems stupid (to me) to sell a mobile workstation that crests market prices with an M620 as the max GPU.

I am not convinced EOL status is caused by sales either. We have no idea what the limitations of HP's licensing deal with Wacom were.

I am fairly clear-eyed on the limitations here. I've built SFF PCs, balanced size vs. thermals/power before, and can understand the wattage limitation HP is up against. In fact, I tried to design my own theoretical version of the Z Book using the same wattage envelope in the Z BookX2. I was left with the conclusion that it would be very difficult to upgrade CPUs to H series. However, I believe a GTX 1650 Max-Q should replace the M620. It is only 5 watt higher (35 vs 30) and doubles VRAM. Some may complain about GTX vs Quadro architecture but Nvidia recently made professional drivers available to the GTX line. This would solve what I believe to be the biggest weakness of this tablet. I can live with the battery.

I will be keeping my eye on the prices. Your opinion is appreciated and taken in earnest.