Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. triykiy

triykiy Pen Pal - Newbie

In reply to ticol, if I may help:
    Question 1: I only have experience in PDF note taking, but palm rejection has been excellent with touch enabled (Drawboard & Xodo, not sure about Photoshop, etc.)
    Question 2: Would like to know myself, probably answered in the documents linked earlier
    Question 3: Stand has been sturdy at all angles
    Question 4: Yes, according to earlier posts
    Question 5: I attempted this today myself. I'm sure battery life will be much better, but I was unable to apply any of the original Dreamcolor profiles (Adobe RGB, etc.). The Dreamcolor utility won't launch after enabling hybrid GPU mode and the previously enabled color profile isn't preserved. I couldn't restore it via Windows color management either. I need to tinker more, but it looks like the end result is a display with none of the Dreamcolor benefits

2. triykiy

triykiy Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else experienced coil whine/electrical noise from their x2 g4 machines? I've had my hands on 4 different units so far and all of them (!!!) had incredibly annoying high-pitched noise coming from near the charging port.

The noise isn't consistent and occurs during charging and on battery power. Have I just been incredibly unlucky with these? (No, it's not tinnitus.) I want to love this tablet, but the noise will drive me towards violent acts against it. I don't know if HP warranty support will help, but I'll contact them. Just wanted to poll others as I haven't seen this issue mentioned anywhere else online.

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, the zBookX2 will be a huge upgrade for you!

I have not had any problems with my Zbook in regards to palm rejection. Maybe it is the way I work? I also use a Samsung Tab S3 a lot and never have problems there ether.

Those are full Thunderbolt 3 ports, considerably faster than USB-C, but still compatible w USB-C. Yes, those ports are amazing, you can actually run the Zbook X2 with a external GPU (such as RTX 2080), huge monitors and so on. HDMI too of course.
    I think someone else posted hooking up two displays much earlier in this thread? Assuming you have enough VRAM two monitors should work.

The stand works fairly well for me, however at a fairly flat angle, resting your hand on it will push it down (drawing seems ok..?). At about a max 30-40 deg angle it seems to remain firm. YMMV I suppose. At least there is one built-in, unlike Wacom!

I use one button for brush resize in ClipStudio, that is Ctrl+Alt, so yeh, I think Alt+Shift should work too. Combo button press would have been nice, maybe and limitation imposed by the licensed Wacom software..?

I have not tried that in some time, but disabling it did seem to affect colors. I would not recommend it, just not worth the hassle for me.

Well if your CIntiq Companion has lasted so long, that is awesome, mine did not. I am sure there will always be something better, but for me I am really happy that the HP is built like a tank and has so many useful built in features. I hope HP continues the line in the future, as IMHO this one is a Unicorn.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Alot, thanks! Have you noticed any performance change, other that the lack of all the windows BS spam flashing in your face?

If you do encounter anything later on, please post here. Cheers JH

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

@triykiy and @artistebot , thank you for your answers.

Yes I imagine HP ZBOOK X2 would be a huge performances step up coming from my Cintiq Companion 1.
    It still works well and has proven to be very solid. It even survived to my son who made it fall from a bar table on a concrete floor !
    But it struggles when I have multiple layers in a large file that I want to resize for example. Screen gets black, then the Companion processes during many seconds before doing the resize.

The ZBook seems to really be what I need. I really like the fact there's the included keyboard which acts as screen protector when closed. I carry my Companion almost every day in my bag pack and I am always afraid to put too much pressure on the screen. It will be the same with a Mobilestudio.
    And palm rejection is vital for me. I use a lot the friction of my hand on the screen to control my pen. And I tried to work without using my fingers to pan,zoom and rotate. And I loose a lot of time when drawing. Far less instinctive.

Even the ZBook weight seems good. The whole ZBook withe the keyboard weighs less than the Companion + the stand + small bluetooth keyboard.

And thanks for the feedback about BIOS and Dreamcolor. I am used to live with 4 hours battery life devices. If I am in the same ballpark, it will be perfect.

I have to wait a bit before buying it and hope I'll still find a good deal in a few weeks. I phoned the french HP online store and, while they offered me an interesting discount, the guy told me they stopped the production of the ZBook X2. So there are some remaining, but stocks are not huge.

Finger crossed :)

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Rip2137

Rip2137 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone with dreamcolor display let me know what the display shows up as in the Device manager? Is it generic pnp monitor.

I had to replace my screen and figured, why not get a dreamcolor display and upgrade while I am at it? Problem is I can't install the dreamcolor assistant.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone with dreamcolor display let me know what the display shows up as in the Device manager?..>>

@Rip2137 : Yes, it shows up as a generic PnP monitor. No idea what to advise you to do about the DreamColor Assistant app...

Does your display adapter show the nVidia M620...?

Rip2137 likes this.
  8. Rip2137

Rip2137 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, everything shows up correctly if everyones is showing as a generic PNP monitor. Thanks for your awswer. I am trying to figure out what the installer is checking that doesn't allow the assistant to install.

I attached error. I know this is a dreamcolor panel, I assume the Model number being 3FT15UT#ABA is whats not letting it install. I think the 3WP24UT#ABA and 2WX08AV_MB are the ones that have dreamcolor panels from the factory, but oddly HP only provides dreamcolor panels as replacement parts now.

Outside of finding a way to change the product sku in the bios(and I don't think there is away to unlock it anymore) I don't think I can install it. HP has been no help.

Attached Files:

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think the 3WP24UT#ABA and 2WX08AV_MB are the ones that have dreamcolor panels from the factory...>>

...I have a model 2WX07AV with a DreamColor Display.

<<...HP has been no help...>>

...Are you talking to the Workstation Support group? 866-625-1175

Rip2137 likes this.
  10. Rip2137

Rip2137 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that is the original number that I started with. I have simply been told they will reach back out to me but I do see this same question being asked in other places, so it appears this might just be an issue that needs to be worked out.

One more ask if you don't mind.

Under the hardware id in the device manager what ID does it give you?

Mine is showing LGD05A4 which I don't think is right as the panel part number is LG LP140UD1 but this could be just what it displays as in they system. I'm kinda grasping at straws right now.