Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone order this protective case? Is it possible to use the kickstand when putting the tablet inside the case?..>>

...Artistebot owns one of these cases and posted about it. See Posts # 947 and 943 in this thread.

The case is shown in the HP parts store at this URL: https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/business-solutions/cases-242532--1#!&tab=vao and is shown in stock.

(See next post for the image and comment about the kickstand.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. Steve S

@testplayer

X2 Case.jpg

In Post # 947, Artistebot presents several pictures; one shows the kickstand open, so the case clearly permits its use...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I have that case, check my earlier post. Yes the stand works well w the the case installed. FYI it can be bought much cheaper than that, I got mine for ~ $15.00

4. Steve S

This evening via HP Support Assistant
    • Intel Sensor Driver for KabyLake
    Installation was routine...

artistebot likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, I have officially joined the Zbook X2 Camp

Having more tablet devices then sense....I opted for the Zbook ironically not for Art, but rather to use it for a Coding Bootcamp I'm starting next month.

Not counting my more portable devices, iPad Mini 5, Galaxy Book 10.6, Surface Go........my main devices have been my Surface Pro 5 and my Mobile Studio Pro....using the Pro 5 as my general Laptop and the Mobile Studio solely for Art. The Zbook was always a personal desire of mine since it's pretty much the perfect amalgamation of the of both the Surface and Mobile Studio, but since I owned both I couldn't justify it. I was going to use my Pro 5 for the bootcamp, but felt a new device would be a better investment to start off fresh. Honestly I was going to get the Surface Pro 7, but after Microsoft unveiled it......honestly it's not enough of an update for me to upgrade. The lack of Thunderbolt 3 nor any significant change to the Pen or keyboard made me look for other options. And the Zbook seems to be fitting the bill perfectly. I have....Multi Monitor Aspirations I want to play with for the bootcamp....and the Zbook's superior port selection, and removable bluetooth keyboard helped narrow the choice. The fact that this is also a great art tablet further swayed my choice.....truthfully I have no plans to do any serious art on this device (for the next six months anyway) since I want to concentrate on the bootcamp.....but I'm very much looking forward to really just using one device for a while instead of bouncing or deciding to bring either my Mobile Studio or Pro 5 around with me every day. The Zbook will be my Jack of all trades for all intended purposes.

Currently I'm using it in conjunction with a Asus Zen Touch Monitor....the monitor has a larger screen (15.6, but lower HD res), multitouch and a built in 4 hour battery life. Even though its a bigger screen....the monitor is almost the exact same physical size as the Zbook, so Its actually a really balanced combination when I stack them next to each other, with the bluetooth keyboard right in the middle. the Zenbook has an origami cover with limited positions, but with the Zbooks kickstand, I can make them perfectly even. (and, yes, I am contemplating a 3rd monitor option...my mobile set up at Starbucks will look hardcore as hell)

Here's a pic of my new mobile set up.....stealing all the table space at a coffee house near you!

zbook.jpg

Marty and artistebot like this.
  6. Steve S

@darkmagistric : Congratulations, and welcome to our merry little band!

artistebot likes this.
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, you might be "That Guy" at Starbucks huh? Glad to have you on the zBookX2 bandwagon! :)

IMHO you might want to look into getting the HP case/cover?
    • First, it helps make the Zbookx2 keyboard edge make more sense, as they fit into each other forming a really good seal when closed.
    • Second, it holds the pen much better than that silly card slot thingy.
    • Third, it attaches vary securely to the Zbook and even has carry straps.
    Neat to see it paired w the Asus Zen Touch Monitor. It seems there is a bunch of "Portable Montiors" lately, like the Gemini. I will be interested in hearing about your experiences in this setup.

Cheers

JH

triykiy and darkmagistric like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious, whats the total weight of whole setup, adapters and all, once it's packed in your bag? Still quite portable with extra space for books/moleskines?

Could you take picture of it all stacked together sliding in your messenger bah/backpack?

On a related note, have you checked out the C-Force 4K monitor options? They are super thin and I think you could double up on 2 these while still having a sleek package in the bag.

darkmagistric likes this.
  9. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello you all.
    I read the whole ZBook x2 thread which is really well documented. However, I have a few questions, because some things remain unclear to me.

I'm looking for a replacement for my... Cintiq Companion 1. Yes, there are still people using it :)
    And I use it every day for long hours of illustration work.
    It still works well for what I do, but I feel the need to upgrade : better screen, better performances,...
    I use too, on a regular basis, a Galaxy Book 12. Really nice and light. But the screen is a bit too small for everyday use, and the glassy screen is a bit less pleasant to me to draw on than the wacom one. (I could live with it but every time I switch back to the Wacom I really feel at home again).

So, today, with 8Go RAM and no dedicated graphic card, and no ultra powerful processor, I can do my regular job.
    I mainly use Clip Studio Paint (drawing comics and doing many illustrations on comission), a bit of Photoshop and rarely illustrator (+ a bit of basic Blender).

The ZBook X2 seems to meet a lot of my expectations regarding performances, screen quality, all the Wacom interface and physical shortcut buttons, and the fact that it still have USB A and HDMI connectors (only USB C is not always simple).

Question 1 : I read different things about palm rejection on the ZBook X2. Some people say it doesn't work and that the only way to draw on this device is to desactivate the Touch input. Other people discussed in this thread about the ability to choose items in the menus with a finger while palm is resting on the screen and the pen is seen by the screen (so, too much of palm rejection from what I understand).
    So, is it possible to draw in a pleasant way, with Touch activated and the hand resting on the screen, on Clip Studio and Photoshop ?

I know plam rejection isn't always perfect : on the Galaxy Book I sometimes get some disturbing things when I put my hand on the screen just before drawing : the canvas moves a bit, I can select anotehr layer,... but it's not that often to be really bothering.

Question 2 : about the video outputs. I see an HDMI and a USB-C output. Is is possible to plug two different screens at the same time on each of one, and getting 2 different displays ? For example : plugging a big Cintiq on the USB-C and an regular screen on the HDMI port ?

Question 3 : does the stand supports drawing with a bit of pressure and palm resting while not openened at the maximum ?
    From what I can see on the pictures of the Zbook X2, when the stand is fully opened, the screen seems to bit a bit too flat for my liking. I like it a bit more angled toward me. So if every time I push the screen a bit it flattens, the stand will not be very useful to me.

Question 4 : regarding the Shortcut buttons. I understood it's not possible to press two of them at the same time. For example, it's not possible to have one shortcut set to Alt, and another one to Shift and then press the two together to get Alt + Shift ? But is it possible to create a shortcut for Alt + Shift in a single button ?

Question 5 : Dreamcolor and Battery Life.
    The trick to disable the Graphic Card in the BIOS that I read in this thread has a real impact on battery life ? And it doesn't affect the quality of the colors but only affects the way to change them in a simple way ?

I would still be interested in a Wacom alternative but buying a now 3 years old design Mobilestudio pro doesn't sounds right to me, especially with the prices remaining so high and all the problems linked to these models. The new 16" version is way too much expensive for me (if it's available one day...). And there are no infos about the future 13" version.
    So today, the only viable choice seems to be the Zbook X2. (the 16 Go RAM / 500 Go SSD with dreamcolour can be found for less than 2000 € at the moment). But I'm not in a rush. I'll wait a few monthesif needed.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

10. kivuli

kivuli Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I just tried installing and running that software on my HP X2 (8650/1TB/32GB)

I just ran the automatic "Remove All Bloatware" Setting.

I was initially running Windows 10 1809, and ran the program, then upgraded to 1903 and ran the program again.
    The HP Create control panel and the Softkeys software still are installed and work correctly.

Touchscreen, Softkeys and pen are still working as well.

Hope that helps.

artistebot likes this.