Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Aren't the 8000 series processors in the X2 quad core and the 7000 series dual core?..>>

...Yes, that's correct.

artistebot likes this.
  2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

As you see in my sig, I have the 8650U model.

Yes the 8550 and 8650 are quad core.
    Yes the 7500U series in dual core.
    The screen on my model has been very good w no (or very little) screen edge light bleed.

I still use daily a 2014 15" Macbook Pro and a 2010 MacPro, so I expect the zBook to last comparably. A big reason is how well built and tough the device is, plus the stellar tech support I have gotten from HP. My previous Wacom Companions (1 and 2) barely lasted a year each, IMHO Wacom device build quality is terrible and their tech support is not much better.

3. artistebot

Has anyone run a win10 debloat script on the zBook X2? I will only use the device for 2d/3d editing software, no games, no office, no browsing etc.

I have an older Dell WS that I have run the Windows 10 Debloater found on GitHub, and it did a great job of removing all the MS crapware, cortana, onedrive, MSedge (!!) plus the pinned MS ****ware in the start menu. The machine starts up in a fraction of time now.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/windows-10-debloater

I guess my concern is regarding Wacom/HP digittizer/expresskey software still being available.

cheers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  4. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

It's not exactly a debloater like you're asking about, and I haven't run it on the X2, though I have run it on 3 other machines, but ShutUp10 is quite nice. It's easy to use and it shuts off most of the data collection and background network communications that Windows 10 does. Also, Microsoft will reset a lot of that upon major updates, but another round of ShutUp10 will show you which settings got reset and allow you to set them back.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

After that I just go through my Windows programs and uninstall things manually.

artistebot likes this.
  5. artistebot

Cool, thanks.

I have used ShutUp10 on the same "olde" Dell WS (Optiplex 990MT) before, yeh it works well. Good tip about MS updates. Still hoping someone has done so on the zBook x2.

I guess I could try it myself someday, I did one Win 10 full re-install when I first got the machine. Need to find the time to muck with it if things go sideways, however that might be "never". :)

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I personally use the Spiceworks decrapifier script, but I don't recommend it for others unless you understand powershell well enough to really understand the script and change it to your liking. It's very thorough in cleaning up stuff and works great if you follow the directions. I've used it at work with no issues. For personal use though, I forgot I do use the weather, mail, and calendar apps, so I had to reinstall those. (Note to self- amend script again.)

HP Create Control Panel is no issue- just download it from HP's site and install.

--

Look at what I found! Official disassembly videos from HP! I looked at the display disassembly out of curiosity and it says to pry the screen off with your fingernails, lol. So I guess it's not that hard to take apart the X2!

The videos require flash to play, just fyi.

triykiy, testplayer, Marty and 2 others like this.
  7. artistebot

Selofain, awesome!

Neat to see ZbookX2 disassembly videos. This might be the most recent pen tablet that can have the ram and HD user replaced?

:)

8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone order this protective case? Is it possible to use the kickstand when putting the tablet inside the case?

9. testplayer

I can confirm that the 1VY59AA (ordered from Amazon for as low as $31.72) is in fact the pen bundle containing everything including the 6 hard felt nibs + 4 slippery plastic nibs, pen case and nibs extractor.

triykiy likes this.
  10. testplayer

In fact, according to this post, the HP's white paper PDF links to another white paper of PCIe SSD for HP Workstations http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04200260.pdf. And according to this white paper, the performance of Z Turbo Drive G2 512GB and 1TB MLC is:
    Sequential Read 3200 MB/s
    Sequential Write 1700 MB/s
    Random Read 330K IOPS
    Random Write 300K IOPS
    While the performance of HP Z Turbo Drive G2 1TB TLC is:
    Sequential Read 3000 MB/s
    Sequential Write 1150 MB/s (1700 MB/s max/Turbo)
    Random Read 360K IOPS
    Random Write 330K IOPS
    So if most of your concerns are about random read/write, then the "vanilla" TLC SSD is indeed ~10% faster than the older generation MLC SSD. But again, the TBW of TLC drive is still poor. But if HP is really using the Western Digital Black SSDs (https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-nvme-ssd), then the durability will be the same, and the performance will completely beat the older generation MLC.