Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

In this morning's Windows Update:
    • HP - HID (something)? - no issues installing...

3. artistebot

I like putting hard shells on my portable computers, and thankfully HP made a clip-on hard case/shell for the Zbook X2. I just got one for ~$19 shipped and installed in on my ZBookX2.

The shell is well made, thick black plastic and clips on securely without any movement
    The insides have a "soft-touch" surface.
    It allows full access to all ports and buttons.
    Has VESA mounting holes
    Includes well made carry straps.
    Has an elastic pen holder along the top edge that holds the pen really well.
    It is about the same thickness as the Zbook X2 keyboard.

IMHO the case is way more secure than the "hard shell" that I had on my SurfacePro 2.

HP MSRP is ~$70 but it can be found for s low a $12 + shipping. I got mine from www.comptechdirect.com

[​IMG]

Yes, the ZbookX2 is built like a tank, but I am thankful for a bit extra since I often commute. It does add a bit more bulk and weight, but I really like the pen strap holder.

PS:

Updated to the laster ver on Windows on Sept 30, after running all HP updated. NO issues so far.

4. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

@artistebot Thanks for the heads up about the case. I remember seeing it when it was more expensive and decided to wait. Now no excuse lol

5. Steve S

Yesterday morning via the HP Support Assistant:
    • HP Client Security Manager: Installation was uneventful but no progress bar. Required a Restart.

6. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm possibly looking to sell mine if anybody is interested.

32 gb ram. 1tb ssd. Dreamcolor. Works great.
    Let me know if anybody is interested. Nothing wrong with it but I have been having bad eye strain and I need to get an eye operation so I can draw again as I get headaches whenever I try. Not even my glasses I got help.:(

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  7. artistebot

Pics w the ZbookX2 case installed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Steve S

...I'm not sure if this is indicative of good news or not, but here's my thought for what it's worth:

Possibly Good News: As I have posted before, I periodically check the HP website to see what the status of the ZBook X2 is. The good news is that the X2 is still listed, and more importantly, the customizable version of the X2 is still listed. That, and the continuing stream of periodic updates via the HP Support Assistant, would seem to bode well for the X2 for now.

Possibly Not So Good News: The "advanced" processor options for the customizable X2 (i7-8550 / 8650U) are no longer listed. The only options are the uninspiring i7-7500 / 7600U processors. However, some other customization options have been expanded (e.g., Adobe software, system mass memory), so that makes me wonder if this is just a temporary lull until new, 10th Gen processor options appear? About a year ago, during a conversation with an HP technical rep, I asked about the chances for an X2 refresh. The rep responded that HP's normal refresh cycle would suggest a hardware refresh at the end of this year (i.e., now). OTOH, the absence of advanced processor options might be the first step in sunsetting the X2.

So which is it? Don't know, but if the X2 is being sunset I, for one, will mourn its passing...

triykiy and artistebot like this.
  9. artistebot

Hey Steve, thanks for the update.

Yeh, I also noticed that HP had no 8550/8650 models or options anymore. There still seems to be zBooks with those processors via third party sellers.

10. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

After reading up, I suspect that HP has run out of stock on the 8000 models. It seems the display on the pre-refresh models isn't as good. So I think a lot of people jumped, and that they are a little more secure/resistant to the Intel bugs.

Aren't the 8000 series processors in the X2 quad core and the 7000 series dual core?

I know the i7-8650U is 4 core and 8 threads.

triykiy and artistebot like this.