Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, been away. No, the HP Create Control panel is pretty extensive. You can fidget to your heart's content in there.

Forgot about the Spectre fix - this could be why sometimes even an illustration file goes slowly.

Oh no! I can't help anymore, I had to sell my Canvas when we moved home and the new house has way smaller rooms. (House cost more through GRR) I just had nowhere to put the thing which is a real shame. Sounds like you've had a right old experience with the Dell. I'm more and more convinced you got a faulty model and then 2 faulty pens - wow.!
    I have started looking at the Huion Kamvas models (not the 22) as my 13 worked great alongside my old Macbook but was just too small. Love the zbook but I still hanker for a big screen.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup, I did read that, but I was hoping to get more of your personal experience with TurboCAD and how it fit with your tablet workflow/ergonomic setup.

I checked out MoI and it's neat, but doesn't seem to be significantly more feature-rich or tablet-optimized than SketchUp. Also their node editor is very much a WIP/mod, rather than officially supported and integrated. It also doesn't seem to have any 2D drafting capability, which at least SketchUp can do passably with Layout.

Granted, that's only my initial impression and I know how that can drastically change after several months of using the product. For example, maybe you've managed to work in Moi3d into your TurboCAD workflow, or found some niche usecase you occasionally pull the tool out for.

Basically, just trying to build picture of first-hand tablet user experiences and scenarios for CAD.

Even if the future means you'll have go full Apple/iPad? ;)

As evidenced by my long search for a good tablet CAD, I feel like tablet software on the PC has basically crested. Developers only seem interested in innovating touch and pen UX on iPads...

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I was hoping to get more of your personal experience with TurboCAD and how it fit with your tablet workflow/ergonomic setup...>>

...TurboCAD is designed for a keyboard / mouse interface. I use it for occasional tasks where I need a precise model. Sometimes, it's as simple as a panel layout, sometimes as complicated as a cutting guide for a shape that has no right angles. The tablet is simply the platform that can execute the program; the keyboard and mouse are ergonomically conventional.

<<...I checked out MoI...It also doesn't seem to have any 2D drafting capability...>>

...All 3D capable systems will allow you to work in 2D; you simply work in one plane with the view set up normal to that plane. I have done 2D work in MoI. Regarding SketchUp, I agree that it looks like a simple and attractive alternative. If it meets your needs, I'd say stick with it...!

artistebot, WillAdams and Marty like this.
  4. Jackyhk

Jackyhk Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone has experience with these cheap zbook x2 pens on eBay/Amazon that are sold for around 32-35 bucks? They are obviously not OEM pens but has anyone tried them to see if they make a really big difference for the ~60 bucks of savings? ?

artistebot likes this.
  5. Steve S

<<...Anyone has experience with these cheap zbook x2 pens on eBay/Amazon...>>

@Jackyhk : For what it's worth, I reported somewhere earlier in this (or the other) thread that all of my old EMR pens work on X2. HOWEVER, several of them exhibited an offset of a mm or so from the point where the nib touched the screen. I assume that this can be calibrated out, but I never tried, so that's an assumption on my part. Any "penabled" Wacom replacement pen should be OK. Note that tilt may or may not be supported.

artistebot likes this.
  6. Steve S

An update was delivered this morning via Windows Update:
    • Conexant - Media: The update took a couple of minutes to install and did not report progress; it simply triggered a "Restart Needed."

artistebot likes this.
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have a link? I bought 3 sets from HP when they where on sale for roughly $30 a while ago. From what I see they seem OEM?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ZBook-x2-Pen/293141150921?hash=item444092fcc9:g:xs4AAOSwrI1dP9FV

Thanks for this been holding off on Win updates for some time, now diving into them, as I have all the HP updates,

8. Steve S

<<...From what I see they seem OEM?..>>

...It sure looks like the HP X2 pen...!

artistebot likes this.
  9. Jackyhk

Jackyhk Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking at this one on Amazon since their return policy is much more reliable if you get them from a Amazon Fulfilled Seller.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-1VY59AA-Z...+zbook+x2+pen&qid=1566941408&s=gateway&sr=8-3

But yes, such as the one from your link are what I was talking about. I think most of them are essentially the same thing, given they have similar price point. They sure do look OEM! Even under the description it even claims the manufacturer is HP. It's just that the price doesn't make a whole lot of sense since regular ones go for 105 each, so I don't know if they are cheap Chinese knockoff or whatever.

Do yours feel okay though in terms of pressure sensitivity and everything? Mainly concerned because I saw Youtube videos on counterfeit cheap S pen from eBay for Samsung note and notebook etc., and they found the pressure sensitivity is much worse and it's much harder / sometimes impossible to do light strokes.

Either way; I bought one and I will see if they work okay. Picked up a base model of this laptop from Walmart.com since the price of 859 seems so good even without the dreamcolor and only 8gb ram. I am fairly sure those low priced ones don't come with a pen unless they tell you it has one. I also have an original Surface Pro pen to test, lol, though I am kind of doubtful it will do fine since I read from another post that they updated their tips and pen design so the old wacom pens don't work as well on zbook x2. Let see if they are "calibrate-able" into good working condition. If nothing works then I will probably try to get one from HP instead.

Thanks for the input guys!

artistebot likes this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO I am pretty confident those pens are not chinese knock-offs. The pen/device has not been around very long, plus there are Tons of Wacom "pen-enabled" options out there. I have bought tons of EMR pens over the past few years (including a couple Chinese ones) and they all worked as expected on the devices I had at that time. Basically it seems to me the the EMR pens are fairly simple?

FYI

The price for Zbook X2 pen has fluctuated a huge amount directly from HP. over time since the Zbook x2 was introduced. Based off of memory, HP was selling them as low as the ~$30 I paid, to about $45, $60 and so on. All three of the Zbook X2 pens I have are identical to the one included w my device.

The Surface Pro 1 and 2 pens "will" work, but might have much more offset then you may like. I have gotten rid of my older pens as the more modern ones have better offset and detect tilt (the surface pen don't have tilt) One of my current favorite EMR pens is the Staedtler Noris Digital.

There are currently no pens with two side buttons other than the one from the Dell 27 canvas, but also its spec's indicated a lower range of sensitivity than all the other current pens? I am not aware of anyone who has tried one yet.

Enjoy the Zbook X2 I really like mine.

HeavyHanded likes this.