Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Glad to know it was not just my imagination.
    I have purchased an external speaker, as it does distort if too loud.
    My Yogabook c930 10" 1/3" thick laptop has more sound than this
    huge laptop, it should blast you out of the3 room for it's size.

This is a really powerful Studio Pro substitute for everything else.

Have they updated the pen driver yet to get rid of the stray marks,
    when writing?

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Getting rid of Cortana gave me back a bunch of RAM.
    Disabling other features I dont use also helped.
    My machine runs pretty decent after I cleaned it up,
    seems like it took a few days.
    Just back up before doing any changes, so you can go back
    if the result do not work.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

An update for the HP MAC Address Manager popped up this morning via the HP support Assistant. It's just a small (2.7 MB) update, but I can't get it to install. Tried three times, so far. The usual tricks don't seem to help...

4. Steve S

<<...I'm wondering if I should suck it up and go back to the official HP image...Any experience or opinions to share?..>>

@incredulous ...You should definitely be using the HP image, for precisely the reasons that you're complaining about.

Once, a fairly long time ago, Windows users had at least some justification for scrubbing the OEM's typically bloaty software load in favor of a clean Windows load (but only some justification). I submit that the bad old days of small hard drives and excessive bloatware are over. Modern OEM software loads may still have a little bloat content, but on a 512GB or 1TB drive, is it really that big a deal? And what are you missing when you overwrite the OEM software? Just all the special modifications that the OEM installed for the proper interface with, and smooth operation of, the hardware and features of your particular machine! I've noticed for years that simply reinstalling custom OEM drivers (if you're lucky enough to find all of them) will not always restore all OEM hardware functionality (Thanks, Dell XT!). Just bite the bullet and restore the HP image.

If you want to disable features or uninstall apps, feel free, but I think that overwriting the whole software load is a mistake...

HeavyHanded likes this.
  5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I reinstalled the HP bloated image, one time only, a long time ago. I have no patience with trouble shooting windows (on top of OSX/Android). Kinda hoping someone else does it first, and I can copy their effort when successful.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did this right at the start with my zbook when I got it in December; I found that lots of things wouldn't work like the speakers and the keyboard just wouldn't connect. SO... I eventually downloaded the HP updates and everything has been fine ever since. I'm not really noticing the bloatware - any more so than the bloat Windows 10 installs like Candy Crush and all the stupid games. I uninstalled things I didn't want (mostly games) or features I don't use daily.
    Work offered to connect my zbook to the intranet if I ever brought it in but I turned them down: it was bought for artwork and creative use and it's SO easy to lose 3-4 hours wasting time on the net.

I suppose the short of it is I've been happy since and the HP stuff doesn't impact on me - I never see it. I only installed the bare basics which got keyboard and other essentials working as they should. That was 7-8 months ago so I couldn't tell exactly what I selected but the keyboard works great and the speakers are OK but weak compared to my MacBook.

Yeah, I've rarely ever found a PC laptop whose speakers can compare to my Mac laptops . The Bang & Olufsen set-up on the zbook doesn't do much that is positive for such a prestigious name in hifi.

triykiy and Steve S like this.
  7. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to everyone who responded to this query - it's very frustrating that any computer, but especially one intended for professionals can't be run reliably on a clean install of the OS when drivers and utilities for all the model-specific hardware are installed. My mother still has a surface Pro 2 & I'd say it's been the most reliable machine I've ever encountered, despite a format & clean install to Win 10.

Anyhow, I'm fed up with the glitches, so I'll take your advice and go back to the HP image!

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Surface Pro 2 was built by and uses an OS written by Microsoft so there are probably things in there you won't see. Other laptop makes probably have to create their own so as to make their computers work. If I was Microsoft and wrote and built computers I'd make sure they were both optimised and I'd have the people to make that happen.

Anyhow, keep us informed how you get on - particularly the HP stuff.

Like I wrote above I really don't notice it and I concluded that it wasn't affecting performance or taking as much space up as I felt it would. Having 2 or 3 browsers on my machine would take up more space and memory than the HP stuff does.

9. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi doobiedoobiedum, I bought & setup three Haswell generation machines at the same time when my mum got her Surface - the other two were a Vaio Fit 15A for me & a Fujitsu Lifebook U904 for my dad.
    I can't tell you how refreshing it was to boot the Surface for the first time to find vanilla Windows (Win 8.1 of course) with nothing added at all - not even the otherwise obligatory pre-installed anti-virus!
    The upgrade to Win 10 by the way was done from a stock Windows ISO, just as I did with the X2 - one has given no issues, the other frustrating ones!

Of course, Microsoft will make sure it's hardware runs properly with its plain OS, but I don't see why the same can't be true of other manufacturers. Undoubtedly, there will be drivers and BIOS tweaks to suit specific hardware - the X2 has plenty of examples of those, but in my view, the core OS should be unmolested.
    This becomes particularly relevant when you start thinking about machine longevity & obsolescence, because as machines age and manufacturers decide to stop releasing updates for their bespoke OS, hardware suffers & will inevitably be discarded before it wears out. The environmental consequences of this are obvious.
    On that note, I should add that for all the positives I've mentioned about the Surface, it's proven impossible to get the battery replaced, since Microsoft designs its products with no intention whatsoever that they will be opened - no upgrades & absolutely NO repairs are intended. I recently visited the new Oxford St store and spoke to one of the managers, who blithely told me that they expect customers to throw their hardware away and buy another when the battery wears out - this is the prmary reason I ruled out the Surface Book 2 when I bought my X2, since it is just as soldered-on internally and glued shut as the Surface.

Anyhow, the reason I formatted the X2 was to ensure I had the absolute best performance and crucially, minimum amount of superfluous demand on the battery, which as you'll probably attest, is one of its low points.

I'm about to call HP technical for a quick chat about the problems I've been having, since I did consult before going down this route and they helped me make sure I had all the necessary drivers & widgets etc when I'd got the OS running.
    If I learn anything enlightening, I'll report back..

10. Steve S

This evening, the HP Support Assistant delivered three updates
    • BIOS Update 1.29 (My current BIOS was 1.27)
    • nVidia Video Driver and Control Panel
    • HP MAC Address Manager
    The always scary BIOS Update installed without issue; just be patient as there are a few stretches of time when it appears that nothing is happening (screen black). Likewise, the nVidia update also installed without problems. Finally, the MAC Address Manger failed to install as before. The details mention that the address manager is intended to facilitate device deployment by IT asset managers, so I'm wondering if you have to have vPro enabled for the update to install...??? In any event, it doesn't sound like an essential update for individual users like us.