Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wondering... why part AA instead of UT? What is the difference between them?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...why part AA instead of UT?..>>

...See the next post.

If you need a replacement pen, my advice is to contact an HP sales rep by phone and ask them about the different part numbers. They have much better visibility into HP's inventory than what's provided by their website...

3. Steve S

<<...why part AA instead of UT?..>>

...Had a little better luck this evening. I think that AA is the pen alone. But HP also offers a pen bundle that includes the pen, several nibs and the pen case; you can reference it from the 1VY59AA page. I can't tell if the pen bundle is 1VY59UT#ABA (or if it's a different part number)...

4. Steve S

More HP updates arrived yesterday / this morning:
    • Three software updates (!) via Windows Update: Software, Keyboard and Extension (no details on what these are). See comment below.
    • One via HP Support Assistant: A big nVidia update (over 700 MB) that takes several minutes to install (again, no details).
    A possible caution about the 3 updates provided by Windows; after downloading, a restart was required. After the restart, I checked the I/O icon and, sure enough, another restart was required. However, I may have restarted (again) too quickly, before the X2 was fully up and running, because an error window briefly flashed on the screen as the X2 was shutting down. It was too fast to read, but it was something like a service couldn't start or something.

When the X2 had finished the second restart, I tapped the I/O icon to return to Sleep, but nothing happened! I didn't have time to work the problem, so I simply closed the cover with the intention to return to this later today. I expect that a hard restart will fix the problem...

UPDATE: I woke up the X2 from sleep and the I/O icon was still inoperative. I did a press and hold on the icon, and after a few seconds an action menu opened that allowed me to select Restart. After restarting, everything appears to have returned to normal, including I/O...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Steve S

By my estimates, we should find out in the Fall whether the ZBook X2 is that very rare artist's tablet that gets an Act II. In that regard, I find it encouraging that HP is still selling the customizable version of the X2 and that they still issue updates for it. VAIO, you may remember, put the Z Canvas on fire sale only months after introducing it in the US, making their feelings about a follow-on pretty clear...

Anyway, if HP offers a meaningful update of the X2, I'll be seriously considering it.

In the meantime, keeping my fingers crossed!

artistebot likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As much as I would as well hope for a proper successor to the Zbook X2.....the shift from EMR to AES for the Zbook Studio would give me concerns that they would retain EMR for an updated x2. Especially if Wacom has any plans to refresh the Mobile Studio Pro any time soon......wouldn’t be much of a surprise if 3rd party purchased EMR became “conveniently” absent again.

7. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the big concerns about the EMR system on the X2 is how HP implemented it. They took the touch system from someone else and bolted the EMR2 digitizer onto it. Wacom officially only does digitizer with touch, and so the results are weird and wacky palm rejection. So it's a setup that's reliant on HPs continued support.

I'm also hugely torn by the the buttons on the sides of the screen. They are dead weight once HP stops updating the software to support stuff. It's great in a sense but I think I'd rather have a multi button stylus if given the choice.

As for the Studio x360 G5 and it's AES system. I'm about to rant... It refuses to read my 1012 G1 stylus's completely. The stylus also discharges completely in less than a week, zero battery warning besides "stylus out of range" warning besides a little red led that flashes on the stylus. Oh and why did they kill off the clip on the stylus? I liked my more pen than pencil to keep it orientated for the barrel buttons in my hand, also made it easy to latch onto papers so it wouldn't run off. Oh and the evil stylus holder that basically tempts fate to destroy the sd card slot. On the flip side, it's light, it's got multiple buttons that are assignable, it's rechargeable, and as far as I've used it, it's pretty accurate and quick but I'll have to use it more.

Back on topic...

I want HP hold out for Ice Lake based Intel chips before they push an upgrade. Also give me back user upgradeable wifi/bt hardware. If you are going to force the dedicated GPU for dreamcolor then please give it at least 4GB of ram. A combined touch and digitizer system and a multi button stylus. 3 years of warranty should be standard too!

I'd buy it...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for this, I have not done ANY updates since last year ,it is ain't broke...) So glad to hear this wend smooth.

Can you detail what steps you took to get updated and in what order?

Cheers

JH

9. Steve S

<<...Can you detail what steps you took to get updated and in what order?..>>

@artistebot : It's pretty straightforward. For the updates via Windows Update, go to All Settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates. However, remember that Windows Update is context sensitive; if you are not running the 10 May 2019 Windows version (1903), Windows Update may not offer these three driver updates to you. Assuming that it does, simply let them install. There does not appear to be any preferred order. (PS: Unless you have completely turned off Windows Update, there is a chance that one or another of these driver updates may have been installed without any noticeable fanfare. Check your update history.) At the prompt, restart. As always, I suggest letting the desktop stabilize and then restarting a second time.

For the nVidia update, start the HP Support Assistant by clicking on the blue circle icon which should be on the right side of the task bar, or find it in your programs list. When the window opens, click on "Check for Updates and Messages" in the right center area. If the nVidia update is available to you, it should then be offered. Again, it will likely be context sensitive.

Although I did Windows Update first and the HP Support Assistant second, I don't think it matters which order that you use. Good luck...

artistebot likes this.
  10. ramosdesign75

ramosdesign75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently, I purchased the actual WACOM pen grips for the intuos pen on ebay for $16 imported from Hong Kong. 2 come in the pack but the price went up. I also had a ergo grip from amazon which ran about $24. The "thinner" WACOM looking pen grip (shown in pic) came from Fintie also on amazon which was about $7 and came with another grip. SEE PIC
    Fintie
    Fintie [2-Piece] Silicone Grip Holder for Apple Pencil 1st / 2nd Gen, Protective Skin Sleeve Case Accessories

Both pen grips give you a similar intuos style feel.

Fintie will require you to cut out a hole for the button though

Both will be a struggle to put on.

The pen tips for the Samsung Galaxy book 12 are "finer" than the HP Zook x2 so I replaced my pen tips on both Zbook pens with the Galaxy Book felt tip nibs which feel better on the screen. Since they are finer tipped, the accuracy is that much better. IMO.

Attached Files: