Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry but I don't remember who it was. The person was pretty shaky about committing to honouring the warranty and used wiggly terms. Though I do remember the $100 USD deposit, think it required a credit card, tracking + insurance on the Canvas to be sent, and there was also the if you don't buy from an authorized reseller, no warranty.

When I was trying to snag one the MS store didn't have them available. I ended up giving up because I couldn't afford the costs both monetary and time as well as the getting it up here properly.

It was annoying because before Sony sold Vaio off, and they dumped Canada, I worked part time as a Sony Vaio certified warranty tech. Man when I had to tell customers that their hard drive failure was warranty but they had to buy recovery media if they didn't make or their copy didn't work, was never fun.

I cried a little when the MS store restocked a day or two after I committed elsewhere.

Back on topic...

So that's good news for all the Dreamcolour packing Zbooks then.

I wonder if you can set the colour space to not aRGB, disable the HP DC utility and have it stick. For those who need to use other colour spaces.

I was also wondering, HP is touting their Performance Monitoring software as being able to access all of those functions from inside Windows on the ZB x360. I wonder if that application will work with the x2?

The battery life boost is impressive and really helps to alleviate that concern because it was pretty brutal and fell short of what I needed.

Now if only there was a way to get multiple buttons on the stylus... Well or the Michael Jackson single glove use to keep touch while using the stylus.

Sigh...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    _AVP_ and Marty like this.
  2. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any tablet pc/s-pen EMR pen should technically work with the zbookx2. But everything Surface Pro 2 and under might not work as well given the change to the nib assembly. So there could be a cursor offset or wonky pressure control. But even this would differ pen by pen. But to be perfectly honest....aside from not having a 2nd side switch...the Zbook x2 default pen is pretty much the most perfect EMR pen you can get.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can any penabled Wacom EMR stylus be used with this tablet based on the criteria posted in this thread by Steve S...>>

@Illustrator76 : If you look at the image of the EMR pens in Post #1 of the subject thread, every one of them except the black pen, second from the bottom, works on the X2. I cannot speak to the black pen because I don't have that pen any more. Almost all of these pens showed a slight offset relative to the tip of the nib; I estimate it to be about half a millimeter (give or take) typically below the point at which the nib touches the screen. You may be able to calibrate it out, but I didn't try.

However, I agree with @darkmagistric ; the X2 pen feels as good as any art pen I have held and it works extremely smoothly with the X2. Not saying that you shouldn't exercise your right of choice, just saying that I find the X2 pen to be excellent!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Illustrator76 and darkmagistric like this.
  5. Illustrator76

Awesome guys. Thanks for the input. How are you guys liking this thing for digital art? I was going to get a Surface Pro 4 until I realized it used a N-Trig pen. I'm a Wacom guy. The biggest allure for the x2 for me is that it offers the same all-in-one experience that a surface does (integrated stand and keyboard), so I don't have to carry around a million separate accessories.

6. Steve S

@Illustrator76 : Regarding the X2 as a platform, see my comments in Post #855. I really like the X2, but compared to the Surface Pro, it's heavier and the battery life is significantly shorter because of the discrete GPU. The kickstand works as advertised, but its edge is somewhat sharp.

However, offsetting this, the matte screen is relatively glare-free and the pen is excellent, both in terms of how it feels in the hand and how it feels on the screen. The keyboard is also excellent, better than the Surface Pro's Type Cover, IMO. The screen's Adobe RGB capability is also excellent.

Finally, there is the issue of cost. I managed to buy my X2 through a promotion and got a good price; if I had had to pay the full price (at that time), I might not have. I realize that purchases like this are risky, especially since you can't just stop by a Best Buy to test drive one. Bottom line is that I've been satisfied with my purchase but, of course, YMMV...

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  7. Illustrator76

Thanks for the info Steve. Hearing that you are happy with the purchase is very reassuring. I'm more concerned with the quality of the machine than the weight. I just want a quality all-in-one that I don't have to have a separate stand and keyboard for forcing me to lug around a bunch of accessories. That fact that both of those are integrated in to this machine AND it using Wacom technology pretty much cements it for me.

Just need to find one at a decent price, because as you stated, they are fairly expensive.

8. Steve S

<<...Just need to find one at a decent price...>>

In addition to keeping your eye on HP for one of their periodic sales, some have had success finding reasonable deals on eBay (but caveat emptor!). In particular, be careful about which type of screen is installed; some of the auctions / offers are pretty vaguely worded...

9. Illustrator76

In your opinion is it worth getting one without the DreamColor screen even if you get a decent deal on it? I have heard that the IPS screens on these look terrible. Is that true? Can they be calibrated with something like Spyder 4 Elite to make them look decent?

Thanks.

10. Steve S

<<...is it worth getting one without the DreamColor screen even if you get a decent deal on it?..>>

...That's a good question. I have a DreamColor display but I've never seen an X2 with the "standard" IPS display. In addition, I don't recall any particular comments, either pro or con, by any members who own X2s with an IPS display.

Given those qualifying comments, I would hazard the opinion that the X2 IPS display does not look terrible. I have owned many IPS displays (tablets, monitors, laptops...) and as a class they have all looked fine. Granted, full Adobe RGB is a very noticeable step up (primarily in perceived saturation), but the differences are not night and day.

In addition, I pose the following rhetorical question. As part of HP's flag ship "Z" line, the X2 is clearly intended to represent HP's engineering prowess and quality. Why, then, would they put an IPS display that "looked terrible" on it...?

<<...Can they be calibrated with something like Spyder 4 Elite...>>

By coincidence, I own and use a DataColor Spyder Pro. I used it for years to keep a Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor (Adobe RGB) calibrated under Windows 10 and yes, once the monitor started to age it made a significant difference as seen by flipping between the corrected and uncorrected sample scenes at the end of the calibration applet. Mainly, it eliminated the greenish / yellowish cast and improved the color balance. You've probably seen the same thing. My guess is that HP calibrates all of their X2 screens during manufacture, so a Spyder wouldn't necessarily improve the color rendition, but it would definitely allow you to maintain its consistency from year to year.