Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...There's a setting in Windows 10 that let's you use pen and touch at the same time (when the pen is near the screen), maybe disable that if its enabled?..>>

...That's typically the approach that other users have used. But so far, a glove seems to keep the problem to a minimum. However, I've only been experimenting with this for a relatively short time; your mileage may vary...

2. Steve S

<<...How is battery life for the i7 8650 model? Use case: Photoshop, webbrowser...>>

@Marin Goleminov : I own the i7-8650 and have been using it since about October of last year. Like you, I sat on the fence for months thinking about this purchase, but I ultimately closed the deal because the X2 offers a pretty unique combination of features (note that I was coming off a three+ year-old VAIO Z Canvas which itself was no slouch).

Unfortunately, I can't comment on any of the apps that you ask about. I use Clip Studio Paint and ArtRage, neither of which is too demanding from a computational power standpoint. I've been experimenting with solid modeling using the HP Z 3D camera, but I use a different computer for that because of mechanical reasons (the camera is large, heavy and requires a large scanning volume).

With regard to typical battery life, I'd guess that I'm seeing about ~3 hours, but of course it varies based on what I'm doing. Another complication to giving you a definitive answer is that I have external batteries that I use without hesitation. My OmniCharge Ultimate provides more operating time than I need in the average day, so I seldom worry about battery life:

https://www.omnicharge.co/products/omni-ultimate/

I'm also very careful about how I charge the X2; I never leave it on the charger for extended periods. There is a discussion thread about optimizing battery life elsewhere on the forums and I recommend reading it.

Finally, even though you didn't ask about it, I have to say that I'm impressed with the quality of the X2 and especially the software support and update features that HP provides. Other than the known touch-pen interaction issue that you've noted, I can't think of any other routine problem that I've had with my X2. I'm careful to keep it fully updated and it's been pretty trouble free...

3. Marin Goleminov

Marin Goleminov Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, @Steve S . Good to know the device is of good quality.

Hopefully I'll get some answers ragarding the other questions. Since the ZBook ist still quite pricey I'd probably sell my other workstation. Even if the tablet will be slower in some scenarios. Would be just nice to know how it handles the aforementioned apps.

4. Marin Goleminov

Marin Goleminov Pen Pal - Newbie

I started using a smudgeguard some time ago and can't go back. It is perfect for gestural drawing with longer, shoulder controlled strokes, since the cloth glides easily over the screen - contrary to Your palm skin which usually sticks :) Apart from that, the glove inhibits touch recognition somewhat, at least on my iPad.

5. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

It needs to be said that the battery on this thing is more than adequate and the relatively low battery life comes from the use of the Nvidia GPU.

You need to enable switchable graphics in the bios I think, and make sure nothing is currently using the Nvidia GPU to switch to Intels integrated graphics. Then your battery life should be much better.

6. Steve S

<<...You need to enable switchable graphics...>>

Unfortunately, the DreamColor screen requires the M620 for its operation. However, even so, you do have the option in BIOS to use Hybrid graphics.

Not sure what it does, however...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  7. _AVP_

_AVP_ Pen Pal - Newbie

It's still unclear from the topic, is it possible to turn dedicated gpu + Dreamcolor mode? Can this screen run on cpu only in srgb mode, for instance? Is switching color mode in the tray enough to turn gpu off?

8. Steve S

<<...is it possible to turn dedicated gpu + Dreamcolor mode?...>>

UPDATED 27Mar19

@_AVP_ ...I presume you mean turn the dedicated GPU and or the DreamColor display mode off? I'm pretty sure that DreamColor isn't a mode of the display; that is, the native display mode of the DreamColor display is DreamColor. There is no "degraded" alternate mode. Also, for X2s with the DreamColor display installed, the HP documentation seems to say that it must be driven by the dedicated M620. HOWEVER, if you enter Set-Up and open the BIOS, you can select hybrid or dedicated graphics options (contrary to an earlier report in this discussion thread). What will the DreamColor screen will do if driven by the hybrid option? I don't know; I didn't try it.

For reference, from the ZBook X2 Technical White Paper:

Table.jpg

The annotation on the DreamColor line is ambiguous, but I have never read any comment in HP's documentation that suggests that the DreamColor display can be used with the Intel integrated graphics.

Also, from the ZBook X2 Maintainence and Service Guide:

Discrete graphics: NVIDIA® Quadro® M620 N17M-Q3 graphics subsystem with 2-GB GDDR5 (128Mb×32, quantity 4), 128-bit

Support for the following:

● “No discrete graphics” option (only on tablet models equipped with a graphics subsystem with UMA memory)
    ● DreamColor (not available on tablet models equipped with a graphics subsystem with UMA memory or in Hybrid graphics mode)
    Hybrid (switchable) Graphics (not available on tablet models in HP DreamColor mode)

You know, upon reflection, the phrasing of the red comment makes it sound like DreamColor might be a mode of the display after all. Maybe the display will run in a "degraded" mode if Hybrid graphics is selected in the BIOS...???

See Posts # 731 and 767 in this thread for links to the manuals...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    _AVP_ likes this.
  9. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe the closest thing the Dreamcolour editions gets to disabling the discrete graphics is via Optimus. This is because the 4K 8bit panel is connected to the Intel GPU output while the Dreamcolour 10(8+2)bit is hard connected to the M620s display output. As a result if you disable the Discrete graphics card, you end up with a black screen. Depending on how the external display outputs are connected you could have the Quadro shut down with the X2's display turned off.

The thing to remember though is that in Optimus operating mode the Quadro will only idle since it is still having to actively capture the Intel GPU output and then it puts that output onto the display. If I remember how optimus works correctly. I'm also not sure if Optimus works on 10.

I still chuckle that the Dreamcolour is '10bit' but it's really a 8bit panel with 2bit FRC. Still displays the colours though.

Onto the next...

I've been struggling with deciding between the X2 and the x360. I've been struggling over the issue that I like to use touch while I use the stylus. The other struggle I've faced is the stylus... I don't think I can handle a 1 button stylus. I'm lucky in that I can get away with AES, but EMR is just well you know and the lack of battery is amazing. Nothing worse than being caught in the middle of something and the stylus is dead. I'm torn on the rechargeable version because I can't just pop a battery in a few seconds. Hmm...

I was almost tempted by Sure View on the Zbook x360 because 120hz and super bright. If it wasn't for the super glossy finish and the low dpi for writing and drafting in tablet mode.

Has anyone had experience using the X2 in tablet mode in the lap? How is it?

Does the battery life get an appreciable bump if you roll the display back to 2K or 1080? For those extended away from the wall situations.

For power...

Shout out for the Omnicharge Ultimate... Such a nice battery pack. I'm a little disappointed they didn't make it user firmware upgradeable, it's my biggest gripe with my 20 and 20-C versions. Amazing battery packs even if the 20 doesn't remember it's capacity unless I turn on the DC output weirdly. :-/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Major discounts on preconfigured versions of the ZBook X2 in the HP Spring sale: https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/List.aspx?sel=NTB&ctrl=f&fc_sn_zbookx2=1

The top-spec i78650U/1TB/32GB/Dreamcolour model is £720 off, making it under £2000 inc VAT

Not sure what this means about a possible refresh being in the works, but the guy I've been talking to for months at HP Workstation sales still says nothing is imminent and that the price is 'below their cost price', so certainly worth a look.

Offers are only while stocks last and till the end of March.