Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...where is the canvas headed...>>

...As I mentioned in another thread, the ZC is still running fine and the battery shows no signs of trouble. So I'm currently using it to test and run some software apps before I load them on my new desktop. No plans to sell or donate it, for now.

I have to say that the ZC is still a great machine...!

2. Steve S

<<...Has anyone with an X2 received OS build 1809 by way of Windows Update?..>>

...I'm going to try to contact HP Support to see what their position is on this. If I find out anything, I'll come back and report...

UPDATE: Just spoke with HP Support. The support tech knew of no reason why Build 1809 could not be installed on the X2. He recommended using the Media Creation tool approach, which he says HP endorses...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    artistebot likes this.
  3. ArashA

ArashA Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question about this machine that I hope you guys can help me.

I need a mobile workstation for 2D animation, hand drawn work + after effects compositing (and motion graphics) + Illustrator.
    I mainly work on my Cintiq and my Desktop. Now I have to let go of this setup as I will travel in next few years.

So I wonder if Zbook X2 can work as a workstation solely? I know for 2D art it's more than enough but I wonder for AE and Illustrator, would CPU keep up in 2K or 3K workflow?

I was planing to get a laptop with i7-8700 and take it with my Cintiq around, but it would be MUCH nicer to have only one device. So I wonder while working in AE with 8650U do you have a smooth experience?

I appreciate the opinion and sharing experience of the owners.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. ArashA

ArashA Pen Pal - Newbie

How does this machine perform as the "workstation"? Would the 8th gen cpu can handle After Effects 2D animation and compositing?

5. ToddingtonToons

ToddingtonToons Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just bought the Zbook X2 and I'm so excited by it's capabilities!

My only issue so far is the palm rejection, while researching the device I did read that the palm rejection was dodgy.
    I just wanted to ask if perhaps that info is outdated and someone has resolved the problem?
    I have updated all of the drivers and tried to resolve it in multiple ways.

At the moment the pen is almost useless unless I disable Touch. It just flicks about as if palm rejection isn't even enabled.

I also wanted to just say thankyou again for such a wonderful forum and community here. Always such informative and helpful members! Reminds me of the good old days of the internet!

6. Steve S

<<...I did read that the palm rejection was dodgy...>>

@ToddingtonToons The X2's palm rejection is still the same. Have you thought of trying a drawing glove?

7. ToddingtonToons

ToddingtonToons Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, Thankyou for such a quick response Steve!
    I have never actually tried a drawing glove, does it completely resolve the issue?

After a few years using a Surface Pro, I did grow fond of the option and it feels like quite a ridiculous issue for such an expensive device.

I bought the device knowing I could disable Touch with the Express Keys so I am happy to deal with it. I rarely use Touch anyway.

8. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a setting in Windows 10 that let's you use pen and touch at the same time (when the pen is near the screen), maybe disable that if its enabled? (I don't have Windows 10 so I don't know the exact setting.)

9. Marin Goleminov

Marin Goleminov Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone, I signed up here because these forums seem to have the highest concentration of actual ZBook users in the whole internet. I've been looking at this device for some time now, but still have some questions. Sorry if some of these have been answered :). So here we go:

- Has anyone used the device for sculpting in ZBrush? How well does it handle large files (2-5 Mio Polys)?
    - Has anyone used the device with Blender? Especially 2.8 with Eeevee viewport? Does it work well with the dated Quadro?
    - Has anyone used it with BMD Fusion? How does the device handle large comps, given it has only 2GB of VRAM?
    - How is battery life for the i7 8650 model? Use case: Photoshop, webbrowser.

I'd love to hear about Your experience.

Cheers, Marin

10. Marin Goleminov

Marin Goleminov Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh and one more question: has anyone successfully used the X2 with and external GPU, like the Razor Core?