Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

2. Minchi

Minchi Pen Pal - Newbie

So I've been eyeing this tablet for about a week now and I'm on the verge of buying it. I see the 16 GB 8th gen version on amazon for 2000 USD, and I am very very interested. The major thing holding me back is this is a huge ticket item with a large price tag, and for it I could get an ipad pro for on the go mock ups and wacom/display tablet for my home setup for the exact same cost if not cheaper. Use the iPad on the go, and do 3d/dev work at home station. So I have a few questions.

How much is accessible and replaceable, and how is the build quality of the device? I've become extremely cautious of the longevity of these tablets. I've had a SP3 for 2 years and the build quality is fairly good, and it's still kicking, for the most part, in regards to light PS, zbrush, etc use. Even with that though I had to replace it twice due to problems with pen reading, and durability. Every review for equivalent non-Microsoft brand tablets though of any range below 1500 it seems are extremely iffy. A lot of people with Galaxy Books that overheat etc, or parts die after a year or warranty period. Lenovo Miix line for example has a terrible track record and the support and repairs are sub par, it almost seems like they abandon their laptops quick.

Does the 8th gen versions that show an intel 620 coprocessor have the quadro M620?

Does is get particularly hot or do the fans do an optimal job at keeping it cool and lappable?

How is HP Brand tablet/laptops longevity? For the price tag I plan to maintain this thing well and use it for years before thinking of upgrading or changing, as most people would. Does the HP brand have a record for long lasting products especially in the more business range? This kind of is a redundant question with the build quality one but I'm more curious to how quickly they abandon support.

Speaking of lappable how awkward is it on the lap? I don't expect it to be as portable as a Surface Pro, or even close to as portable as an ipad, but if I can set it down and draw somewhere, or on my lap even if it's a bit obtuse.

Is there a lot of driver fuss with the Pen and the likes?

Is this a genuine replacement for a high end developer/editing set up? I use a lot of 3d software, gamedev IDEs, and intensive programs. Photoshop files with high layers and resolution size, lightroom, etc. This will not explode the hardware or cause it to overheat etc?

Is the memory expandable?

How does the Matte surface and gloss compare to the likes of cintiq & MSP products?

Is the Pen software customizable extensively like a Surface Pro or Wacom? I think I've seen it is, but just to double check.

Sorry about asking a lot of questions, If I grabbed one of the 7th gen models for cheap (800 or so dollars) I wouldn't be too concerned about the risk, but I don't really see any sells, so may as well go big or go home... and use my desktop and buy an Ipad Pro.

artistebot likes this.
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Minchi

I think all your questions would be answered by reading the whole thread.

However in short.

#1 Excellent build quality, very tough. in particular it seems the higher end 8th gen machines are better, defect wise, than the 7th. Not sure why, it is all the same build hardware other than CPU.
    #2 Both Ram and SSD are not soldered and can be upgraded. HP provides service PDF on the process, may not be easy.
    #3 Pen and software are Wacom, best there is, full stop.
    #4 Cooling seems fine,
    #5 It has a similar 'floppy" keyboard the SP has, but goes one better as it can remain connected vie blue tooth when detached from the main body. IMHO a detachable "hard shell" keyboard would be much better, like the Surface book.
    #6 I think all versions have the Quadro M620, mine does...
    #7 HP offers up to 5 years in full warranty coverage (including optional user accident protection). It includes 1 year. IMHO that is pretty damn good.
    #8 For 3D apps I use mostly Maya, Modo, and Zbrush, but honestly I prefer to use the zBook w 2d apps such a PS and Clip Studio Pro, maybe I am simply "old school"...
    #9 Screen seems to me to be comparable to Wacom, that is a few others here on the forum, who own both, that could provide better insight.

I have been using Wacom tablets and pens for over 20 years, for me, anything less just sucks. I have tried others, IMHO the Apple pencil is good too, but too heavy and has an awkward balance. I would use the iPad Pro too, but iOS is utter crap. FYI my main machine at home is a heavily upgraded 2010 Mac Pro running Mojave, and I am very comfortable with OSX, Windows, Android, and Chrome. I banished all the iOS devices from my home.

Lastly, if you read, HP does offer "discounts" from time to time, I got my for 40% off a while ago..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. Minchi

Minchi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I would have parsed the thread more but most seemed to be based on the cheaper onsale models and I've been parsing alot of threads trying to find the perfect mobile art tablet substitute for my dying SP3. Is 2000 too much in your opinion for the 16gb 8th gen version? Ide wait for a discount but unfortunately I need it sooner than later for work. How long have you been with yours? Also I prefer not to use iOS but ipad pro + wacom tablet for my home setup seemed more like a safer longterm bet than most 2k tablets. That way I can use the ipad pro for casual 2d programs (CSP, light video editing, procreate) and my desktop for the rest, but if I grabbed one of these I'm more afraid of just typical laptop risk, parts breaking/dust, things that may potentially kill the performance of the machine. A 5 year warranty sounds great though, plus it sounds like a better experience than the MSP 13. Really the only thing I question right now is maybe the weight, but I dont stand around drawing/using such a device anyways, worse case scenario in my bed. Also the only issue I hear about really is light bleed, but going off of this thread I'm not sure it's much of an issue in the gen8 version.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think $2000 is too much, it is about what I paid. :) YMMV, everyone needs vary.

6. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

I would try Ebay. You should get a better price IMO. I paid $1500 for mine and it was 32gb and 1tb storage with dreamcolor.

It was a 7600u @ 2.8 ghz however and not 8th gen. It handles all of my needs without a hitch though.

Here is something in the range of what I had, if it interests you. It is refurbished but has warranty and is in like new condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ZBOOK-X...h=item54643892b6:g:wrIAAOSwpY5bw4Pw:rk:8:pf:0

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Somewhat of a hard choice given how relatively cheap the low end 8GB/7th gen non-dream color can be found for. B&H had that for like $899 the other week. Low end specs.....but is the Ram and Processor Bump really worth an additional grand? Like if you look at your workflow....I always try to think....just how often.....(or infrequent if at all) that I've taxed the Ram and CPU past 8GB and beyond the power of a dual core 7th gen. Like I don't think I would ever use more then 16GB....but I've never really exceeded 8GB in my uses...so while a 32GB of Ram model would indeed be nice....you may never end up using it. All I know is if my Mobile Studio were to die....I would get a Zbookx2.....but I would be so conflicted which model to get.

8. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think it's worth the price bump because you won't get double or even close to that in productivity. I have no problem running anything. If you want the processor bump of course that's your call.

That is a Dreamcolor version and is similar to the one I had. I believe the quadro ones are all Dreamcolor. You can always ask the seller to verify if you'd like.. I know mine is Dreamcolor.

Also B&H doesn't allow any returns if you don't want it. Once you buy it from B&H you are stuck with it unless it's broken on arrival of course. Just a heads up. Also it was not 32gb with 1tb of storage for that price. It was probably 8gb 256 or something similar.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Has anyone been able to download the Windows October update on their X2? My X2 refuses to do it...?!??

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd thought that HP had locked down Zbooks so as to prevent Fall Creators Update from installing so as to preserve stylus functionality?

There was a review which mentioned that.