Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I think @doobiedoobiedum meant the old EMR pen is expected to have offset etc...

doobiedoobiedum and SAM 2013 like this.
  2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

>>>>>>>>>>>
    I think @doobiedoobiedum meant the old EMR pen is expected to have offset etc...

DRTigerlilly,
    >>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, I mis-understood what he meant.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ...The only other thing I can think to suggest is to wear a drawing glove.
    Steve S, Today
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Never had to wear a glove with a Wacom pen.
    It's stray marks like the Del pens used to do,
    very uncharacteristic for a Wacom though.

Thanks for your suggestions.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I do think the stray marks are odd. I would probably try updating drivers and if not corrected, contacting HP support.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi, just as DRTigerlilly said - there should be a (largish) offset if you are using an old EMR tech pen on a new EMR tech pen.
    Old EMR was just horrible away from a sweet spot in the middle of your screen - Wacom only bothered to improve the tech on 3rd party penabled tablets after at least 10-15 years because of competition from Apple and N-Trig. New tablets like the HP zBook should be using new EMR. The old EMR pen will still register some input but it will be off. (and should always be off)

Sold out now at HP store.

5. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

My Dreamcolor version has fairly significant light bleed as well which is very sensitive to touch on the bezels also..... I've debated the case as well, but also seen it out of stock/special order everywhere in the US as well.

How's light bleed on everyone else's here? It's interesting how the Z Canvas bleed seems to be just on the edges and fairly in line with the scroll bars, where as on the Zbook it's more semicircular gradient in random places around the screen.

Marty likes this.
  6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Almost none, if any at all on mine. No unexpected touch issues ether.

Marty likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Almost none, if any at all on mine...>>

No light bleed on my screen, either. I tried poking and pressing all around the bezel area but nothing happened. My X2 was a custom build; don't know if that makes a difference?

Marty likes this.
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Non-Dreamcolor screen, no light bleed on mine either. I do get light bleed if I press around the edges, on some spots more than others.

9. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Minchi

Minchi Pen Pal - Newbie

So I've been eyeing this tablet for about a week now and I'm on the verge of buying it. I see the 16 GB 8th gen version on amazon for 2000 USD, and I am very very interested. The major thing holding me back is this is a huge ticket item with a large price tag, and for it I could get an ipad pro for on the go mock ups and wacom/display tablet for my home setup for the exact same cost if not cheaper. Use the iPad on the go, and do 3d/dev work at home station. So I have a few questions.

How much is accessible and replaceable, and how is the build quality of the device? I've become extremely cautious of the longevity of these tablets. I've had a SP3 for 2 years and the build quality is fairly good, and it's still kicking, for the most part, in regards to light PS, zbrush, etc use. Even with that though I had to replace it twice due to problems with pen reading, and durability. Every review for equivalent non-Microsoft brand tablets though of any range below 1500 it seems are extremely iffy. A lot of people with Galaxy Books that overheat etc, or parts die after a year or warranty period. Lenovo Miix line for example has a terrible track record and the support and repairs are sub par, it almost seems like they abandon their laptops quick.

Does the 8th gen versions that show an intel 620 coprocessor have the quadro M620?

Does is get particularly hot or do the fans do an optimal job at keeping it cool and lappable?

How is HP Brand tablet/laptops longevity? For the price tag I plan to maintain this thing well and use it for years before thinking of upgrading or changing, as most people would. Does the HP brand have a record for long lasting products especially in the more business range? This kind of is a redundant question with the build quality one but I'm more curious to how quickly they abandon support.

Speaking of lappable how awkward is it on the lap? I don't expect it to be as portable as a Surface Pro, or even close to as portable as an ipad, but if I can set it down and draw somewhere, or on my lap even if it's a bit obtuse.

Is there a lot of driver fuss with the Pen and the likes?

Is this a genuine replacement for a high end developer/editing set up? I use a lot of 3d software, gamedev IDEs, and intensive programs. Photoshop files with high layers and resolution size, lightroom, etc. This will not explode the hardware or cause it to overheat etc?

Is the memory expandable?

How does the Matte surface and gloss compare to the likes of cintiq & MSP products?

Is the Pen software customizable extensively like a Surface Pro or Wacom? I think I've seen it is, but just to double check.

Sorry about asking a lot of questions, If I grabbed one of the 7th gen models for cheap (800 or so dollars) I wouldn't be too concerned about the risk, but I don't really see any sells, so may as well go big or go home... and use my desktop and buy an Ipad Pro.

artistebot likes this.