Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the info.
    >>>It appears that the X2 does its own graphics optimization, so manually switching the M620 may not have any significant effect on battery life*.>>>>>

So it sounds like the Invidia card is always on.

>>>>Is the hover distance for the pen adjustable?..
    ...No, not so far as I know...>>>>

I am getting stray marks when drawing or when handwriting.
    Short of turning touch off, is there an adjustment to reduce this?

New questions:

----The screen only rotates when the kickstand is completely folded up.
    If you unfold it when rotated, it goes back to default landscape.

---Is there a quick way to turn off the side buttons, when in portrait, I
    find I accidently press the bottom buttons.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Short of turning touch off, is there an adjustment to reduce this?..>>

...The consensus here seems to be that it is best to turn touch off. The touch driver and the pen driver are separate modules (not integrated) and your observed behavior is apparently the result. No one is very happy about it...

<<...The screen only rotates when the kickstand is completely folded up...>>

...IIRC, there is a hardware switch attached to the kickstand that causes this. There is a registry fix that disables the switch in an earlier post in one of the two discussion threads (can't remember which one).

<<...Is there a quick way to turn off the side buttons...>>

...I don't think I've seen any discussion of this on the forums. Check the User Guide and the Create Control Panel UI...

SAM 2013 likes this.
  3. tomin

tomin Pen Pal - Newbie

3. I have had the case for a while. It fits closely and adds the expected about of bulk but it is very sturdy and comes with two Velcro straps; one you can use as a handle and the other as a shoulder strap. The only problem with using the handle strap is that the keyboard has no way to stay securely closed as you carry it about. The other problem with the case in general is that if you fasten every tab, especially those at the top of the screen, it increases the light bleed because a little added pressure is created from the tightness of the encasing. The case also adds a pen holder at the top but that loop is tight and getting the pen on and out of there is a challenge. With the pen on that loop it also adds to the pressure on the bezel. All in all, I like this case but mostly got it to prevent me from scratching the body of the device.

4. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

Seriously considering investing in this device, but I have a few questions, if anyone here can help or point my in the right direction that would be much appreciated:
    1. How is the non-"dream color" display? Is it trash in general, or good enough for artwork? I'm aiming for the lower end budget config.
    2. Will official wacom pro pens work with this?
    3. Anyone here work with this device in 3D programs? Any Zbrush / Blender / Substance Painter users here? Hows the performance?
    4. I heard you can use the official drivers from mobile studio pro on this, can anyone confirm this?
    5. Any other setbacks I should be aware of? I know battery life should be bonkers on this, but I can live with that.

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to check all bases before I invest in another computer.

5. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Does B&H accept non-US credit card or non-US verified PayPal account for payment? If yes, there are quite a lot of parcel forwarding companies out there which will give you a shipping address in US (for free) and forward the package to you in Europe (see a guide here). Usually the address in US is in a sales tax-free state, and you will only need to pay for the shipping from US to Europe, plus any possible import/customs duties. Some companies also allow you to specify the item in the customs declaration form, in which you can input any declared value that won't trigger the customs duty (but you will need to make it reasonable, otherwise the customs in your country may open and inspect the parcel and look for the official invoice, although some forwarding company can help you to remove the printed-out invoice before shipping the parcel to you in Europe).

My major concern about this deal is that, to make it fully workable for me, I will need to upgrade the CPU to i7-8650U, RAM to 32GB, SSD to 1TB MLC. Upgrading the CPU is really a tough work, and I'm not sure if it's really feasible.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the CPU really upgradable? I checked with HP's manual of Zbook X2, and it seems that even upgrading the RAM and SSD is quite complicated and requires quite a lot of works.

By the way, it seems that I couldn't find anywhere to buy the Core i7-8650U. Does anyone know where to buy just the mobile CPU only?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. I have the regular display. I've never had a Dreamcolur display, so can not answer this.
    Otherwise, the screen seems OK, not a bright as a Surface Pro though,
    but I like the matt finish. No more distracting glare.

2. I have tried a couple of old Wacom pens. My Cross Wacom works, but it has
    an offset from the HP Pen, so re-calibration is needed. The old Motion pen is pretty
    close to the HP pen in feel and has an offset on the edges. The old pens don't have the levels of pressure that the new
    one is supposed to have.

3. Don't have these programs.

4. Don't know

5. Seems to last 5hrs with light Photoshop and Painter, and OneNote
    Others here have reported only 3 hours under load.

I liked the stand alone base the X2612 had. It didn't need to be propped up, it converted
    it to a regular laptop, and the base had a second battery for longer run time.
    This would make a good option for heavy use, and use the present keyboard for portability.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

That's really helpful thanks. I couldn't tell if B&H would accept non-US cards but the website does work in the UK except it has UK prices on. I have a friend in the US who might do the card purchase but use a shipping company for me. If I were going for this - it would be the 16GB model for $1000

This will be old EMR - if it works perfectly on an EMR 2 board that might be odd.

SAM 2013 likes this.
  9. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the feedback.

The hand strap is mainly what I'm wanting the case for when using it as just a tablet.
    Would you be able to show some photos of the case in use?

The extra light bleed is an issue.
    I've noticed that if I touch too hard on the bezel it shows extra light bleed on the non-dreamcolour version.
    I intend to have the screen replaced in the near future as it is rather bad on the top edge.

I don't know why HP decided against a pen holder on the body of the ZBx2.

Unfortunately HP Australia (emailed as not on their website) don't have any cases in-stock, nor can I find any online in-stock either. Bummer.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018