Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

So, a few questions about the ZBook x2...

1. Keyboard.
    From what I can assume, it's meant to work without the Bluetooth active when connected to the ZBook x2 (see page 15)?
    I query as I recently purchased a used ZBook x2 Base Model - the keyboard works, however only via Bluetooth and I can't figure out how to get it to work only via being connected to the ZBook x2, it also doesn't charge when connected to the tablet as specified in the previously linked PDF.
    It does charge via the micro USB port and otherwise works fine.

2. Screen Flicker
    I'm one of those bastard whose still rocking Adobe CS6 because I'm cheap and it still suits my needs so far.
    I've figured how to get it working well with the 4k non-DreamColour screen via this RegEdit and the scaling functions in Windows 10, however I'm having some dramas with the screen slighty flickering with the dark colour of Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and Affinity Designer.
    It seems to settle down after a while, but the initial startup is full of tonal variants in the dark grey colours of the UI. I will record a video and upload when I have a chance. Would anyone have a clue how I could resolve this? It's not much of an issue as it's intermittent and probably has something to do with using older software - although Affinity Designer is up-to-date - I figure it might have something to do with Nvidia Optimus, in saying that I've set PS-CS6 /LR6 /AI-CS6 /AD to utilise the M620.

There is also some light-bleed on the the top edge and a faint streaks smack bang in the middle of the screen (you can only see it under the right conditions though) - so yeah, buying used is fun (however an AUD$3000 saving is worth some hassle).:confused:

However, the device has over two years of warranty remaining, so I'm going to contact HP and see if they can repair/replace the keyboard and possibly replace the screen.

2a - Does anyone know HP's policy on light-bleed?
    2b - Does anyone know whether it's possible to have a HP tech replace said screen with a DreamColour, if at additional cost - which would probably be outrageously expensive, however still cheaper than the price of a band new unit in Australia?

I'm not incredibly fussed by having a DreamColour display, it would be nice as I work in print and it would make my life a lot easier when matching to Pantone colours, but this is still a brilliant portable computer for what specs/price I got it.
    From what I'm reading the battery life is relatively better on the non-DreamColour display.

3. HP ZBook x2 Case - Y7B68AA

Has anyone here had a look or have an opinion on the HP ZBook x2 Case - Y7B68AA?

So far it's a rather nifty tool.
    The QuickKeys are a godsend. It's what I've been wanting on the x230t for many years.
    The pen is great, except for the single button.
    I'll post a more thorough review once I have it properly setup and running.

The specs aren't the greatest, and I'll keep an eye out for any 8th gen CPU and DreamColour options, but for cost vs performance in Australia it's a sweet deal considering the Aus store only has 7th gen CPU's and non-DreamColour options available on their webstore!?

Also, segue..... I work at a print shop and have access to some nifty vinyl cutters and such.
    I might grab a roll of glow in the dark vinyl and mimic this idea as, like you guys I'm also up late drawing. I don't know how HP missed this!

If there's interest I'm happy to make a bunch of well fitting decals for the QuickKeys and sell at cost if people want?
    I'd have to suss out the cost of the vinyl, but I image it would be around the AUD $12 - 15 mark, including postage worldwide (no tracking + ~2 weeks shipping).
    We even have textured laminates which could make the tactile feedback a bit easier for the 'ol muscle memory!
    But then again, the cost might not be worth it if you can just grab some vinyl locally and DIY with an X-acto... Thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers,
    T.

EDIT:

I saw this a few months back to make a Microsoft Surface more of a rigid "laptop" and wonder whether it would be worthwhile modelling one fitting for the ZBX2?
    Something I might work on when I've got some more time.
    Maybe apply some felt on the inside so it doesn't scuff the finish...

I also have some 3D printers of which I could print these.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  2. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahhh, back to Wacom goodness!!!!
    I bought the $899 version that was on sale at B&H.
    Coming from a 4 year ols Surface Pro 3, this is still a step up
    for me.

This is a nice computer. Similar to the Mobile Studio PRo,
    but it has a keyboard and built in stand. I don't understand where
    some say it feels cheap. At least my unit seems to have a heavy duty
    not going to fall apart feel.

The hi-res screen makes things kind of tiny.
    Getting my old version of Photoshop CS2 to work was
    an adventure, but thanks to the .manifest file, it works wonderfully!

Any way, I have a couple of questions?

1-How do you configure the external Invidia GPU?
    Can you turn it on/off on demand and just use the built in Intel
    for light duty things for better battery life?

2- Does the keyboard charge from the computer, or do you have to
    charge it separately?

3- Is the hover distance for the pen adjustable?

Thank you, I'm sure to have more questions.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...How do you configure the external Invidia GPU? Can you turn it on/off on demand...>>

...The DreamColor display requires the M620 GPU to be used all the time. However, I assume that you have the non-DreamColor display. I think I read elsewhere in the thread that you can enter the BIOS and switch the M620 off, but it doesn't sound very convenient to do it. From the ZBook X2 White Paper:

"With NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology, users can experience the full performance benefits of discrete graphics with the battery
    life of an integrated graphics solution. NVIDIA® Optimus™ automatically and seamlessly optimizes the HP ZBook x2 G4 to
    offer the best performance or best battery life depending on the application.
    "​

It appears that the X2 does its own graphics optimization, so manually switching the M620 may not have any significant effect on battery life*.

<<...Does the keyboard charge from the computer, or do you have to charge it separately?..>>

...The keyboard charges from the computer. It also has a micro-USB receptacle so that you can charge the keyboard separately if you wish.

<<...Is the hover distance for the pen adjustable?..>>

...No, not so far as I know...

* If battery operating life is important to you, you might consider buying a compatible external battery for your X2. Anker, RavPower, Omnicharge and others make suitable models...

triykiy and SAM 2013 like this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Something I don't get is that, on paper, Intel GPUs have supported 10-bit-per-chanel color since the 2nd-gen Core i processors. Intel and Microsoft simply aren't implementing this in the drivers/OS level.

Azzart and WillAdams like this.
  9. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the info.
    >>>It appears that the X2 does its own graphics optimization, so manually switching the M620 may not have any significant effect on battery life*.>>>>>

So it sounds like the Invidia card is always on.

>>>>Is the hover distance for the pen adjustable?..
    ...No, not so far as I know...>>>>

I am getting stray marks when drawing or when handwriting.
    Short of turning touch off, is there an adjustment to reduce this?

New questions:

----The screen only rotates when the kickstand is completely folded up.
    If you unfold it when rotated, it goes back to default landscape.

---Is there a quick way to turn off the side buttons, when in portrait, I
    find I accidently press the bottom buttons.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Short of turning touch off, is there an adjustment to reduce this?..>>

...The consensus here seems to be that it is best to turn touch off. The touch driver and the pen driver are separate modules (not integrated) and your observed behavior is apparently the result. No one is very happy about it...

<<...The screen only rotates when the kickstand is completely folded up...>>

...IIRC, there is a hardware switch attached to the kickstand that causes this. There is a registry fix that disables the switch in an earlier post in one of the two discussion threads (can't remember which one).

<<...Is there a quick way to turn off the side buttons...>>

...I don't think I've seen any discussion of this on the forums. Check the User Guide and the Create Control Panel UI...

SAM 2013 likes this.