Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Yoga 720 15, 4K 8-bit sRGB display. All I want is a 4K 10-bit Adobe RGB / DCI-P3 display. But I can't justify the hassle since the Yoga has given me zero problems, and other than photographs there's not much content out there that justifies Adobe RGB, and I'm not a photographer.

Tha C-Master likes this.
  3. Tha C-Master

Well the good news is that it will get cheaper when you need to replace it. For all you know, you might be able to snag one at $500! The Fujitsu T901 was expensive when it first came out.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Cheap plastic??? This thing is built like a tank and feels it.

Same. Also, maybe I'd have the side buttons be more distinguishable by touch. And a 3:2 screen. But I love it anyway.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Tha C-Master

True, it is hard to see those buttons especially when it's darker. The screen ratio is a bit odd and I'm used to the other ratio so it wouldn't hurt.

That said it does feel tanky. Isn't this thing military grade? I don't get the "cheap" feel he said he felt.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

thanks for the heads up, really tempted by this, just not sure if its justifiable atm.. haha...
    edit: was getting ready to make an impulse buy on this thing and then discovered they don't ship to Canada.. :( dangit.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...was getting ready to make an impulse buy on this thing and then discovered they don't ship to Canada...>>

@stoneseeker : If you are really serious about the X2, just keep watching eBay. The deal cited by C-Master isn't particularly unique and new listings show up almost every week. Out of curiosity, I've followed the eBay listings for a month or two and have seen many offers for similar models.

Even so, I ended up buying new... so go figure!

8. stoneseeker

I'll save a search, the issue is finding one with dreamcolor 4K display and 32 gigs RAM, most of them are 8 or 16 gigs versions. To find a model under $3000 that is the top end model in Canada is, -so far-, impossible. If one pops up with max specs that ships to Canada in the $2000 range I'll just get it immediately even if I don't particularly need it right now.

EDIT: actually, just after typing that I did find one from the states listed for $2000 usd, so roughly $2600 plus duties taxes etc. so in the end it would be over $3000 cad, but still, this is the best deal Ive seen yet, so it bodes well for us.

artistebot likes this.
  9. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I added colored stick-on tabs next to the buttons so I can see their location easier, when using it. Certainly HP could improve it by adding illuminated side buttons or simply steal from Apple and add full display touch bars like what apple did with the Macbook Pro.
    Other improvements that would be nice to see is auto switchable integrated/discreet GPU, battery life and like you wrote 3:2 screen.

[​IMG]

As I have the top-end model, I can certainly vouch for it. Sadly, I don't think any 40% off coupons (or any..?) for it have shown up since I bought mine.
    I do hope HP continues the line w updates as it seems to still be unique outside of Wacom, but with MUCH better support and warranty.

IMHO some less obvious advantages to the Zbook X2 are:
    • "Wacom-like" fully customizable pen control panel.
    • Shock resistant and tough hardware build.
    • Ability to purchase up to 5 years warranty that can include accident protection too, frankly is there ANY other company that offers this on portable devices?
    • HP provides documents for servicing including replacement of SSD and ram, definitely not easy, but possible.
    Cheers

JH

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    ATIVQ and Selofain like this.
  10. stoneseeker

So a quick update, the seller on Ebay replied to me that it was a mistake and he would add Canada to the list ASAP. Good news, I was worried maybe there was some new NAFTA dispute crap we were dealing with... but even if I was willing to plunk down nearly $3000 CAD I just realized the model I was looking at does not have the quad core 8th gen CPU. In fact none of the ones available to Canadians are the 8th gen CPU's yet. For my line of work the extra juice a quad core would provide at the same or lower TDP is absolutely relevant, so I'm holding out for this SKU: 3TP54UT#ABA If anyone sees one pop up to Canadians that isnt jacked to like $6000 (many are) let me know!

Tha C-Master and artistebot like this.