Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Along with the X2 white paper, listed two posts back, here is the ZBook X2 User Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05862477.pdf

And another interesting publication:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06111498.pdf

Information on the pen and nibs:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-zbook-x2-pen/19960917/document/c05963558

Accessory and HP part number Description

HP ZBook x2 Case

HP Part Number Y7B68UT#ABA
    Protective case that provides additional protection to the HP ZBook x2 featuring productivity
    features including an ergonomic hand harness, shoulder strap, and built in VESA mounting
    capabilities

HP ZBook X2 Pen Bundle
    HP Part Number 1VY59UT#ABA (Note! Use 1VY59AA instead!)
    Professional ergonomic design featuring battery-free EMR (Electro-Magnetic Resonance)
    technology, 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt support, programmable side-button and tail
    eraser, and replaceable/interchangeable POM & felt-tip nibs.The included pen case protects the pen when not in use, and offers convenience features such as slips to store up to 3 extra nibs and a nib removal tool.

HP ZBook x2 Pen Nib Set Bundle
    HP Part Number 1VY60UT#ABA
    Set of 10 replacement nibs. (6) felt-tip and (4) POM

HP ZBook Dock with Thunderbolt 3
    150 Watt: P5Q58UT#ABA
    200 Watt: P5Q61UT#ABA

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    testplayer, stoneseeker and Selofain like this.
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Yessssss! HP is selling the nibs by themselves! Now to resist the twitchy fingers that say to own all the felt nibs!

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Brad Colbow put up his review on this baby:

...and surprisingly he has quite harsh on its industrial design. I've never seen him be quite that critical of the aesthetics of any device.

Of particular note is that he says the plastic surface feels "cheap and dated" @7:52. Can any owners comment?

ATIVQ likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

One thing that's always irked me about Brad's reviews is the way he uses the machines every time. It's his art style, so I can't really hold it against him, but it doesn't show the benefits of EMR, or give us much unique info I want when watching a person draw on a machine. He basically just Inks a sketch, with seemingly no pressure variance, and really wobbly to boot. There is no fast sketching, no painting with large textured brushes, no pushing the machine to its max with complicated files... His art style is perfectly suited for an iPad or Tab, and everything else is overkill for his use case.

Tha C-Master, Azzart and ATIVQ like this.
  5. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

It does not feel cheap and dated. It is quite solid, metal back if I recall. Saw it at the Intel CES booth last year, and spent a good 30 minutes playing with it.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...he says the plastic surface feels "cheap and dated"...>>

...I will know on Tuesday...

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have to agree.....I played around with the zbook quite a bit at B&H.....The Tablet itself does not feel at all of cheap dated plastic. The keyboard maybe....but honestly its no worse then the Surface type covers.

8. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

I personally like the utilitarian design. It looks like it's meant to do work.

I've had fancy looking machines and custom skinned gaming laptops and I now tend to lean more towards the practical. That said it's nothing wrong with liking a "pretty" machine, but I care about functionality and this machine has tons of it.

If they just want a small and sleek machine for quick sketching then like Stoneseeker said they might just want to get an Ipad with Apple pencil or something.

If I honestly could have two things changed it would be that I could open it easily with a screwdriver (for future upgrades and repairs) and a two button pen. Otherwise I love this device. I do realize it's niche and not for everyone though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

With the $1000 price drop I am really tempted to get this... Damn it, I need an excuse to get rid of my current machine.

Tha C-Master likes this.
  10. Tha C-Master

Tha C-Master Pen Pal - Newbie

You could always sell what you have and upgrade.

What are you using currently?