Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

That is the beauty of using the canvas, you can completely turn off touch on the fly, with a dedicated button. Any professional digital artist device should have it.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Lein's review is one of the best that I can recall reading recently. It's nice to see the attention to the pen and its interface from someone who is knowledgeable and who takes the trouble to explore the details.

Owning a Z Canvas, I haven't seriously thought about the ZBook; but after reading this review, I might have to think more seriously about my options...

I wonder if there will be a 9th Gen update...???

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Right?? I'm still setting things up, so I'm not sold on whether I need it yet, but it's here on the Zbook if I do want it. It's fantastic.

I hope so. I really hope HP doesn't do a one and done the way the Vaio Z Canvas turned out to be.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You guys are a lucky lot, cause this machine is BEAUTIFUL to use. I got a chance to try it out at the HP pavilion at Siggraph yesterday, and holy moly what an incredible machine! Got to draw on it with sketchbook pro and it felt smooth as butter and was finally a tabletpc drawing experience that could stand up to my aging T902. I was even more impressed with overall build quality and design of the x360, but the pen was not present to try out sadly. I just like the convertible form factor a little more and the extra screen real estate feels oddly significant.

I dropped a larger post about my experiences in Professional thread, but man this is now officially the tabletPC I will be hunting a deal on for years to come!

WillAdams and Selofain like this.
  5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do like convertible form factor better as well. I'll wait for the x360 and purchase a year from now when it inevitably drops a lot in price :D.

Too bad x360 isn't EMR.

6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Just an update, I loved the Zbook but i realized it was under powered for my needs. some of my latest fine art canvases are over 18000x13000 pixels (8-12gb files) and this machine would just choke (same with MSP). Plus, i need a better GPU for my AI experiments. So i sold mine and i plan to build a shoebox sized mini form factor PC with a full wattage intel i7 8700k and as much RAM as i can stuff in there. Photoshop just needs the fastest CPU mhz it can get for a smooth painting experience. Im just going to hook up my MSP as a monitor so i can have a portable high powered system when im on the road. Plus external GPU support is better for desktop systems. I need this for GAN training.

Just FYI, for illustration needs this machine was fast enough. the pen was really good. the form factor was better for coding (typing) than the MSP. I enjoy drawing more on the MSP because the size and form factor is bigger and IMO better, but you can make the same art on both machines.

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I would totally be hunting the Studio x360 if it had EMR. I also prefer a convertible, but the x2 may make a reality the dream setup I've sort of fantasized about.

8. stoneseeker

I occasionally work on canvases approaching that size, so I'm a bit bummed to hear that. I worked on a 30,000px x 30,000 BG for a fly by in After Effects once on my T902, and while it lagged when I used large brushes, it was useable. So I'm shocked that the X2 doesn't keep up, did it perform well for a couple minutes or so then tank ? (throttling) or did it just become super unstable. Did you have the 32 gig in there?

Also curious if you tried painting those exact same files and version of photoshop on a desktop to compare.

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

I never installed the extra RAM, mine had 16gb. I though about it, but resource logging showed i still had plenty of headroom. YMMV of course, but i found it pretty laggy, and almost as slow as the MSP. Usable but not enjoyable. Admittedly, these big paintings are experimental and are not using best practices for layer management. its a non destructive collage type of style, i trim them down after i feel like i like the direction they are going- but they get big fast. Im sure for just a few layers in a traditional illustration workflow/more painterly style the zbook will be fine. I think i have unrealistic expectations, but i dream of the speed of the ipad pro brush engines in photoshop someday. Mine didnt seem to be throttling, it was just lagging at times, taking forever to open the custom shape tool, brush menus, make a stroke and wait minutes, pan tilt zoom not being smooth, stuff like that. its always disappointing to fire up a new PC and see how slow it is to paint in photoshop. My desktop is new: intel i7 8700k, 64gb RAM, and Nvidia 1080ti. MUCH smoother performance in photoshop but still not ideal. Photoshop just loves high wattage , high frequency CPU's. Its very strange. corel painter is the opposite, it scales great on multi core CPU's.

10. stoneseeker

Man if your 8700K can barely keep up than its gonna be tough to find anything that will perform for your workflow! Interesting how laggy that is for you though, I'm kinda curious to know what the bottleneck in Photoshop is in your files. It sounds like its more than the size of the canvas or number of layers. My background paintings usually end up being hundreds of layers and at least 20 or so groups organizing it all. Plenty of clipping masks. No smart objects or vector info though...

WillAdams likes this.