Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Happehlemons

Happehlemons Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, but... I really dislike onscreen buttons. I disable touch when I use the device with the pen. Seems like it might be my only option though.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I can't get over how I have 18 keyboard shortcuts available for customization per program. This is insane and I'm going to go insane with how many options I have.

And this pen is so excellent like, HP hit it out of the park so hard, it went into orbit.

I have to resist the urge to sing Love is an Open Door at my Zbook every time I see it. I'm having a hell of a honeymoon period.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was just checking in to see how you were doing with this! What else you like about it? Did you spend any time with a Vaio Z Canvas previously?

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Sadly, I've never seen a Vaio Z Canvas in person. I probably wouldn't be half as impressed with the performance if I had.

I did a clean install, and I am stunned that it took less than 10 minutes. Literally, less than 10 minutes from usb boot to looking at a fresh desktop. It wasn't even a usb 3.0 drive. I'm half convinced Windows cheated somehow. The only driver Windows couldn't figure out was the smart card reader, and I picked that up from HP no problem.

The display looks good. I think I may be the first on these forums to own a non-Dreamcolor display? Anyway, I like it. Tiny bit of light bleed on the top right corner, but I had to be looking for it during boot in a dark room, so I'm not fussed.

My biggest problem right now is finding a wallpaper big enough so that it's not upscaled. All my previously high res wallpapers are now not sufficiently high res. I could throw a gorgeous Hubble picture on there, but that's so boring on my personal device. (My work desktop has so many galaxy pictures.)

I'm reevaluating my backup strategies, so it's going to be a slooooow changeover since I want to back up the clean image before putting programs on it.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

For those who might be interested, there are several ZBook X2 s listed on eBay right now including a few 8550 and 8650 versions with DreamColor displays.

Please remember to be cautious when dealing with any eBay transaction (Caveat Emptor!); ask questions and be sure to determine the seller's return policy...!

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

*takes a peek* Oooo, there's fully decked out Zbook x2 for under $3k. Lightly used. That's a pretty good deal!

7. Mr. Boosh

I guess....if you value thin and light over everything else. Gone are the days where I was chasing the lightest machine I could find. I care about performance more now, and a single device that can serve all my needs as a desktop and mobile computer. I always transport my machine from place to place in a backpack or bag. If you can't carry a 4-5 lb device without tiring than you're weak and need to get off the couch and focus on your health a little bit.

kneehowguys likes this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

9. Mr. Boosh

I don't like how he nonchalantly says "...I don’t even care that the palm rejection doesn’t work very well." Really? Maybe if you spent $3,000+ on it for yourself you'd say otherwise. That's terrible if that's truly the case, palm-rejection should work perfectly.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would put the problem entirely to Windows 10 though.
    I remember how perfect the palm rejection worked on the Cintiq Companion. Then Windows 10 came in and... Boom! Palm rejection never worked as good as before. What a mess.
    Especially with the Cintiq 27 it was a continuous pressing of casual thingson the right part of the screen or under my hand.
    I'm having poor palm rejection even with the Galaxy Book 10.

WillAdams likes this.