Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. HappyTimeProject

HappyTimeProject Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if the latest driver has also fixed Blender's usage? I don't have the Zbook X2 but I have been thinking about getting one so looking to see if I can find out a few things. In addition to the above question I've been wondering how easy it actually is to get to the ram and SSD? I have found/seen the disassembly manual but instructions and actually doing it can be two different matters. I do have some experience disassembling laptops but that the instructions for the Zbook X2 disassembly brings up using suction cups makes me suspect I'm better off just getting what I think I might need to use in the future versus getting what will work now and upgrading ram or SSD in the future if necessary. I'm not looking for peoples assumptive opinions on the matter if you haven't actually taken it apart. I doubt understandably that anyone here has opened theirs up considering the price and purpose of this computer but I might as well ask. Besides Blender if anyone knows how well Krita and Godot work on it as well would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. HappyTimeProject

Also I think I read here that older Wacom penabled tablet PC pens are recognized but that the 2nd pen barrel button isn't recognized. Confirmation of this would be great, thanks.

3. HappyTimeProject

Last set of questions; although seeing how those first sets weren't responded to makes this feel pointless, anyway does the Quadro M620 support Vulkan? I'm finding conflicting answers, it seems like a recent driver added support but my main source for this is Wikipedia so I'm leery about its accuracy. If any of you have a Zbook X2 with the latest drivers and can confirm or deny Vulkan's support that would help a lot.

I also saw on HPs forums a post from three months ago making it feel futile to inquire there but someone complain that the quick keys didn't support continued press down as in to keep shrinking a brush by holding the key down verses continuing to repress the key. This itself I'm indifferent about but it made me concerned I couldn't use the quick keys for "shift" or "ctrl" plus pen as in left mouse button hold down. The "How to's" on HP's site though makes that seem possible so again verification would be nice. I know it would seem stupid for HP to not allow the keys to work as a held down "shift" or "ctrl" but when has that stopped tech companies before from making stupid design choices.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...seeing how those first sets weren't responded to makes this feel pointless...>>
    <<...I'm not looking for peoples assumptive opinions on the matter...>>

...Perhaps there are some reasons why no one responded to your questions. Whereas someone with specific experience could give you the most authoritative answers, conversely the more specific the question the less likely that someone will have done precisely that. And, as you observe, it's unlikely that someone will have yet attempted to open their shiny new and expen$ive Zbook (unless you are iFixit, of course).

One of the great benefits of our forums is that our membership possesses a great deal of experience (literally decades) and knowledge. There are people here who constantly tinker with art applications and drivers and there are people who have opened Surface Pros. Informed "assumptive opinions" can be quite accurate or at the very least insightful. For example, the mere mention of suction cups in a disassembly procedure shouldn't be regarded as some sort of showstopper. Suction cups are simply a very convenient way to separate two close-fitting components where there is no convenient gripping purchase. Alternatively, having to use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat soak an adhesive joint... yeah, that might be a showstopper!

The more open you are to responses, the more likely you are to get them...

stoneseeker and Tams like this.
  5. HappyTimeProject

Instead of cherry picking and regurgitating my own words in a condescending manner you could try being polite. I may have just joined so I could make some inquires but I in the past over a few years actually as a nonmember would lurk and read to learn. Maybe that attitude is why the activity has seemed to decrease here and only the regulars are that active and even their number has seemed to decrease. Include me as another in that number not to post again.

6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

HappyTimeProject.

This isn't a support forum. It's just a very small group of tablet PC enthusiasts, some of whom are quite adventurous in how far they will go with their hardware and software. A lot has to be done on assumptions though, as a member is at best only going to have two of device, but probably only one. They'll have bought that machine for a purpose, and taking it apart and experimenting with it is not always something they can afford or risk.

I've been using that case for a 15 inch laptop for a few months now. It's been really good so far and you can fit all sorts of accessories in. There's no real room for separate devices, but it's great for having a bag that has everything you need for one device.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    stoneseeker and Art_N00b like this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm actually sad to see you go. I was impressed by the exactness of your questions relating to Blender and Vulcan. You are obviously on the cutting edge of tablet-based 3D content creation.

It's not that we didn't read your questions, it's just that we can't give definitive answer in such a short time. Wait a bit longer...these kinds of in-depth questions usually percolate in the background to inspire a detailed post or two down the road.

Tams, stoneseeker and Art_N00b like this.
  8. snapalpha

snapalpha Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey HappyTimeProject,

I've been working with HP Support and the engineers won't escalate the issue unless I open a case with Blender Foundation and get a case number from them and submit to HP. I don't even know who to contact at the Blender Foundation. I guess you can run Blender find if you disable touch in device manager. I'm at a lost as to where to get help for this issue. I was hoping someone on this forum use Blender and would have a fix. If you find out anything please let me know. Thank you!

9. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't answer the other questions but I can confirm that the quick keys can work in the same way as the keys on a keyboard. For example, I have one programmed to act as the space bar. When I hold that quick key down and drag with the pen, I pan. When I release the quick key, I can draw again.

I'd just like to say that I think this forum is excellent. In my experience, people are generous with their time, knowledge and intelligence, and generally polite, understanding, and tolerant. As Marty says, a lack of responses to questions probably just means nobody has anything useful to say (yet).

WillAdams likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member