Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I would just call tech support, they were super helpful and told me they already have had a few people calling about the stylus lag. They will likely guide you through a few troubleshooting steps, including resetting windows. But if it doesn't work, they will likely escalate your case to the 2nd level tech team that I am working with. I can say for certain, that the videos I supplied were a big help at illustrating the issue for them. So if you can, I would highly recommend providing videos for them to look at as well. I definitely would not be afraid to call though. They have even been really accommodating to my work schedule, making sure to call during hours I would be available to work with them. If you want, you could PM me and I would be happy to provide the name of the first person I was working with, that escalated my case for me, since she would be familiar with the case.

artistebot likes this.
  2. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

HP has elevated my status too. They asked about the driver version discrepancy. I may send my machine in, if it helps.

Art_N00b likes this.
  4. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I ended up reverting back to the HP driver version, to rule out them trying to blame it on me having the wrong drivers installed.

I got a hard drive from them today and made a clone of my system on it, and it’s on its way via fed ex overnight back to them. I am leaving for vacation on Sunday and won’t have internet or phone service for the week, so they plan on working with the system image I sent them while I’m away, and touching base with me the Monday I get back with their findings.

artistebot, Azzart and Art_N00b like this.
  5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a question for Zbook X2 owners. On a different machine, the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, I cannot touch press buttons until I lift my drawing palm off the screen. Even when wearing a glove. Steps:

Put on art glove (or not).
    Launch Clip Studio Paint. Start new canvas.
    Scribble on it while resting your drawing hand on the screen.
    Lift the drawing hand up then use your finger to pick a different brush size or tool. <-- this works
    Scribble on the canvas while resting your drawing hand on the screen.
    Leave the drawing hand rested on the screen and use your finger to pick a different brush size or tool. <-- this does not work

How about on the Zbook X2? Can you touch tool buttons without having to lift up your other palm?

Btw I realize it may be that palm rejection is stopping touch from working though I contend that the impression of a finger in a separate location from the palm that was previously rejected could certainly be treated as touch by any software (driver or app).

artistebot likes this.
  6. artistebot

Yes,

This is the huge advantage of having actual hardware buttons over software buttons, the HP Quick Keys (aka Express Keys) act just like custom configured keyboard keys. Miguel Quiles describes this advantage is his video review:

I can keep the palm of my hand (finger or whatever) resting on the screen and press the HP quick keys to activate other tools / functions by using my other hand or fingers on the same hand.

I my case, I changed brush size, eye dropper, undo-redo, flip canvas, held down shift to draw a straight line. I tested in Photoshop CC 2017, Clip Studio Paint, and Sketchbook Pro.

Regards

JH

I have a question of my own, I wonder if the Wacom Link would work with the Zbook X2?

7. Art_N00b

I meant buttons on the screen. I already presumed that the quick keys worked independent of the screen. But I easily have 47 "buttons" in Clip Studio in the form of tools, command bar icons and palettes. For the ones on the left side of the screen, which is most of them, I'd like to tap them with my left hand... without having to lift my resting palm on the right.

Can I touch an on-screen button on the Zbook X2 with a left finger while my right hand rests?

artistebot likes this.
  8. artistebot

Sorry I misunderstood your original question.

Yes

I can rest the palm of my right hand and using my left finger, change tools, color etc, as long as I lift the pen from the surface. FYI, the screen can still be detecting the pen location, showing hover cursor, etc, just not actually touching the screen, so a slight lift will work.

Tested in PS and CSP

Any good tips of simplifying the CSP interface, and any opinion if Windows tablet mode is better than (or worse) than Desktop mode when working in-app only?

Art_N00b likes this.
  9. Art_N00b

Awesome. Thanks for including the detail about the pen hover and also testing this out.

So compared to the Samsung N9P we have:
    + Can touch on-screen buttons even while other palm is being rejected.
    + Quick keys
    + Pen button can be customized
    + Keyboard can be detached
    + Higher res
    + More and better color
    + Up to 32GB RAM
    - Smaller screen (14" vs. 15")
    - More expensive (but makes sense)
    Not sure, but:
    + Faster CPU? I'm just guessing. Haven't checked.
    + Faster GPU? Also guessing.

Those first four points seem like they are huge for having a nice drawing/painting experience.

Anything else for the above list?

Damn I wish HP had two buttons on the pen instead of one. Also Wacom answered someone's question on reddit, that their Pro Pen 2 does not work on the Zbook X2 (nor does it work on Samsung, I checked).

And of course, we need to see how the issues work out that have been recently reported here.

Regarding the Clip Studio Paint (CSP) question, I have started a new thread for that program, rather than hijack this one: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/clip-studio-paint-discussion.74000/

artistebot likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

From a previous post:

Just for everyone's reference, here are the PassMark scores* for the Z Canvas and the top-end ZBook:
    • Z Canvas -- i7-4770HQ (TDP 47W typ): 8964 Multi-core, 1901 Single-core ----- Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200: 1176
    • ZBook: ------ i7-8650U (TDP 25W up): 9264 Multi-core, 2316 Single-core ----- Nvidia Quadro M620 / 2GB: 2808
    * And no, I'm still not a fan of benchmarks, but this is a necessary evil if you want to develop any perspective at all...

Comparing the N9P to the ZBook (above):
    • N9P-----------i7-8550U (TDP ---------): 8291 Multi-core, 2121 Single-core ------Radeon 540 GPU / 2GB: 1643 (G3D), 749 (G2D)
    • N9P------------i7-7500U (TDP---------): 5209 Multi-core, 1932 Single-core------Radeon 540 (Same)

darkmagistric and artistebot like this.