Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

This is one of the things that I love about this style machine. I set myself up on most of my flights like that with my Z Canvas -and subsequently is one of the main reasons I am considering the X2. A lighted keyboard would be a spectacular aid on the late night flights.

Tams, WillAdams and artistebot like this.
  2. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I talked to HP support again last night, my case is being escalated to the proper team to (hopefully) take care of the lag issue. I was told they may ask to "capture" my device (send me a box to ship it to them). I really don't know if I want to do that. I know it isn't a hardware issue, since removing the driver fixes the lag, and it is extremely inconvenient for me to already have to ship the unit back, and wait for it to return, while I am still within my 30 days of purchasing the thing for two thousand dollars.

I really don't know what to do now, does anyone have any advice on where to go from here if they ask me to ship the unit back? Would it be smart to just do it? Should I return it, and maybe try again in a few months if they fix the lag? I really, really like the Zbook X2 overall. I just wish the pen input worked as well as every other Wacom device out there.

artistebot and dv8nathan like this.
  3. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you asked if they would extend you return date during the whole process, maybe compensate you for the inconvenience somehow? if yes then go for the fix, if no then return and wait. If i recall, you use an ipad for your art as well so if they extend your return time you wont be without a digital art platform while you wait(if they do have to "capture" it.

artistebot and Art_N00b like this.
  4. Yuureikun

I'm hoping they wont need to do a capture on it. I do have the iPad so I am not without a work device. I had asked briefly about how strict they are on the 30 day return, and was told they are pretty strict. I would be apprehensive, even if I was told that they'd extend it, that they would actually honor it if it came down to it. I am supposed to get a phone call from them within about 48 hours, so I will have to ask all these things when I talk to them.

Apparently a few other people have called with the same issue since I opened my case. Hopefully it puts the pressure on them to fix it.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I had asked briefly about how strict they are on the 30 day return, and was told they are pretty strict...>>

...Given your reservations, I would suggest that you advise HP that they should consider a "capture" as a return. If they fix the issue (they can send you a video, just as you have sent videos to them) then you can buy a new unit and install the fix, which should be a general update for all users. If they don't fix it, your posts suggest that would have been a deal breaker and your intention was to return it...

6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I think if is fair to raise your concerns with HP support and get clear answers, as it seems there has been no firm decision made yet. What makes you think they would not honor an offer to extend?

#1 Be clear w HP support, and have a written note on your position. I think as long as you have clear answers on if they extend your 30 day return window that should ease your concern.. Have a written response. No point in guessing, you do need to decide what you want to do.

#2 Document it all.

#3 It seems to me that you may guessing and fearing the worst, whatever that may be? So far it seems to me that HP has been very responsive to you, (and to me.).

IMHO the Zbook x2 is a good machine, so if HP is able to resolve the lag that would be great. It would be to HP's benefit that they fix the issue, it is possible that to HP, this issue might be more about achieving good customer service.

IMHO there is good news and bad news. The good news is it seems highly unlikely to be a hardware issue, and that is could be fixed via software. The bad news is that HP makes hardware, not software (mostly), so they may depend upon Microsoft and Wacom for software heavy lifting (and bug fixing). Wacom is not well known for reliable software fixes.

Bug fixing can be a real PITA, and it would be very easy for MS or Wacom to point fingers at HP as the source of the issue, To me this could be HP doing all they can to demonstrate their hardware is not the problem, to force MS or Wacom to actually try and fix their ****ty software. HP is likely paying them fees and royalties to use their technology.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Yuureikun

So I just talked to someone from HP's level 2 technical support team. I have to say, I am really impressed with how respectful and helpful support has been with my case. It is a refreshing change after dealing with support from various other PC companies.

Apparently the engineering team has been unable to reproduce the lag issue I am having. So it would seem that the lag is not a 100% widespread issue, and would be specific units or software causing the issue. They do need to do a capture on my device to find out what is causing it on my machine, but I am able to do a clone of my system on an external hard drive they are overnight shipping to me, so for the time being I don't need to send my computer back to them. They also kindly told me that, due to these issues, they have the authority to supersede the 30 day trial rule, and allow an exchange or return passed that time frame.

They are confident that, with this image capture, they should be able to replicate the issue, and figure out what is happening. They also said that this is a big help for them, being a new product, to help them iron out some of the bugs that some users may be experiencing.

That being said, I would suggest to anyone else who may be running into pen lag with the Zbook X2, call support and have them help you. The more data they can collect, the more help it is to them to get this product more stable, and their support team seems to be extremely helpful.

8. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for you follow through, @Yuureikun; it helps all of us.

And next time you talk to them, tell them you're having trouble finding the 2nd button on the HP Pen. :)

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would suggest to anyone else who may be running into pen lag with the Zbook X2, call support and have them help you...>>

...Wise advice. The fact that HP is being helpful is, itself, exceptional. The more cases that they are able to study, the more likely a solution that will benefit all users...

artistebot and Azzart like this.
  10. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

Yuureikun's conduit to 2nd level support sounds invaluable - excellent work! Yuureikun, would you be willing and able to pass on contact details of others experiencing the lag so that HP can contact them if it chooses to? I'm doubtful I'd be able to get through to the right people. Either way, thanks for sticking with this.

artistebot likes this.