Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Right?

I got a follow up call from HP again today, seems like they keep bumping me up the chain of command to get to someone who may be able to fix the lag. I sent them the videos of the pen response both with and without the HP/Wacom drivers installed. I am supposed to get a call from someone tomorrow when someone with a lot of experience with the stylus tech should be around to help.

I am really unsure whether or not this will reach the right people, who will be able to fix the driver in an update. I would really hate to wait out my 30 day return period to find that this isn't getting fixed. It is pretty unnerving for something that cost around $2,000 (after coupon). At that price, this thing should just be working and blowing me away. I didn't pay that much money to basically be a beta tester.

artistebot and Art_N00b like this.
  2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to get your hopes up but..You got a follow up call, that is great!

To me it seems they are actively trying address your concern. IMHO nether Samsung, nor Wacom would even try to respond so quickly, It is hard to overstate how terrible Wacom and Samsung support it.

To me it is encouraging. HP did create a device that targets artists (whoo hoo!), plus their advertising specifically says "almost zero latency".

I will follow up with them tomorrow.

:)

Yuureikun and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Yuureikun

I mentioned that I am part of these forums and was talking to another user who has noticed the same issue. The more users that contact them, the better. Hopefully it will encourage a fix.

Also, I noticed, tonight, that there was a new Wacom tablet driver update on Wacom's site. I gave it a try but, alas, it did nothing to fix the lag still.

artistebot likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen a tech problem, especially of this obscure nature (by regular laptop standards), escalate so quickly. -I mean it's obvious to all here why (a top shelf self-described artist's computer with a buggy primary input mechanism? Lame.) immediate and dedicated attention should be a no-brainer, but in our world, HP hopping to attention is unusual to see.

Knock on wood, though. Until an engineer provides an actual fix, it's all sky-pie and wishes.

By contrast, Samsung, from my early experience, works on this model: "Build it with very high QC, so that we don't have to spend too much on staffing the complaints desk. If something goes wrong, then we can afford to lose that 1 customer out of 1000." -Which in practice, is fine until you run into, what can best be described as a disagreement over how a driver should operate, rather than it being an actual bug. Either way, zero attention and (ha!) help was forthcoming from Samsung on a similar issue last year.

Luckily for us, the stupid 'keytweak' hackaround in fact worked, and so we stride (on duct taped bionics) into the future.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    stoneseeker, Art_N00b and artistebot like this.
  5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

"...and so we stride (on duct taped bionics) into the future." - thatcomicsguy, 2018

Love it!

6. Yuureikun

All I can say is: I am doing my best to make sure HP knows about the bug and can try to fix it (or contact Wacom for a fix) ASAP. I am still not totally sure I will be sticking with the Zbook, especially if this doesn't get sorted out over the next 25 days or so, but hopefully they jump on it. If it is indeed a machine aimed at artists and designers, they can't really afford to have such pen lag in today's market.

I do have to say that, so far, the tech support I have talked to over the phone have been very polite and done their best to try to help. So that is really nice to see.

I think the hardest part is trying to describe to them over the phone what the issue is. Explaining the nature of brush stabilization in art software, and how I have it turned off but it seems to be built into the driver, is proving to be pretty difficult. Hopefully the videos I sent them really help illustrate the issue is a more visual way.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. artistebot

Yuureikun, I think your videos are one of the best ways to illustrate it. You might want to provide a video where it shows the effect at "real-time" speed as well as "slo-mo". Screen shots might help too? As for ease of access, maybe the videos should be posted in Youtube?

A few suggestions: I have done plenty of testing and bug reporting during my 20+ years in game development.

#1 Do you best to remove all variables, all updates applied, fresh boot with nothing else running, same document size and tool settings..etc.

#2 If a repeatable issue can be documented in the simplest terms, the better.

#3 Try to show the effect w built-in/default tools. The Zbook x2 ships with Sketchbook Pro pre-installed, I would default to that. If there is built in Microsoft product that does it, even better.

#4 Provide step by step instructions, the fewer steps the better.

#5 I would not bother trying to explain different features of apps, other then perhaps that the issue is common to all of them.

#6 Direct comparison to other products can be hit or miss.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Yuureikun

So the next step HP would like me to do is a total reset of windows. I spent a lot of time installing programs and settin windows up the way I want, and I’m 99% sure it is a driver issue, not windows. Do you think I should follow their advice, or insist that there is a deeper issue with the driver? I really would rather not set up windows again.

artistebot likes this.
  9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel your pain. I really hate the tech support fallback of "reinstall everything". In this particular case though, it sounds like you are serious about sending it back so maybe you could justify it to yourself by doing less set up and installs this time around... if they don't fix the problem, return the device. If they do, at least your efforts supported theirs and now you can complete your machine set up with more confidence.

I'd go for it and thereby put the ball back in their court ASAP.

artistebot likes this.
  10. artistebot

I was afraid they might say that. At this point they may not do much more until that variable is resolved. See #1 above.

Yeh it sucks.

HP has tons of different machines, HP support may not even have the same device available to re-create the issue on their end? It would be cool if they did, maybe you can remote log-into their machine to test it?

It seems the hardware is fine, but the finger pointing of "who's" software is causing the issue may begin. I suspect the HP panel in question may have been created by Wacom under contract, so HP may not be able to simply cannot diagnose the issue? As the Wacom software looks so similar, it might be the HP customization of the original driver is causing it....wild guesses here...?

I have done a reset once already because I did not know what I was doing. It was time consuming, but I just don't have the time right now.

I don't recall if you have tried Sketchbook Pro?

As HP's advertising specifically states "almost zero latency" the next step might be posting videos on you tube and trying to get some public attention to the issue. However without a major channel covering it, it is doubtful that would convince HP, to try harder. It is still early days for the device...so maybe there is still hope?

On a side note Gizmodo just posted a review, so making noise with press coverage and reviews might be the best way to proceed?

https://gizmodo.com/hps-overkill-convertible-makes-your-surface-pro-look-wi-1824312082

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018