Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I'd like to get this or even the acer switch 7 if it ever actually comes out because of Wacom's EMR tech being used for the pens. I have a Vaio Z canvas at the moment, and there are things I like, 4 cores, button to disable touch screen and bring up a side panel with shortcuts, the tablet stand implementation, but there are a lot of things I don't like. I have to basically hack together a way to customize the side panel for applications outside of the defaults, had to use auto hot key to change scroll direction of trackpad, no way to customize the pen side buttons without a third party app, and most importantly the pen tech. I really don't like the pens that require a battery, that includes both Wacom AES and N-Trig. Apple's pencil is okay, but again that 5% battery warning gets old quick. I have the canvas setup to where I'm okay using it, so not going to rush getting a zbook x2 unless I really like the price, but I don't like the idea that the canvas was designed for creators, yet felt so limiting and lacked common customization options to fit a variety of workflows. From what I read, it seems the zbook x2 doesn't impose these types of restrictions.

artistebot likes this.
  2. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I just hung up with HP support, and was talking to a very helpful representative. Unfortunately, he exhausted all of the options he had at his disposal to try to fix the issue, and said it definitely seems like there is something wrong with the driver if the pen input works better when the driver is uninstalled. He is escalating the case and having someone give me a call tomorrow evening after work to try and move the issue up the chain and see if they can do something about this lag situation.

3. tomin

tomin Pen Pal - Newbie

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Not at all.

There will always be something "newer".

The Zbook X2 is unique, outside of an actual Wacom device, that it has Express Keys and the full "Wacom" customization panel. I never thought this would ever happen.

Aside from the subtle, software lag recently discussed, IMHO the hardware seems to hit the mark in the right spots.

If I could change anything it would have auto graphics switching (for longer battery life), a pen silo, and run a version of OSX with a touch interface as refined as iOS...why not aim for the moon...!

If I get time, I am going to try and design/3D print a shell for it to hold the Pen. I already have a 3D design for a Tab S3 "pen holding" shell, just no time to print it yet.

Cheers

Selofain, tomin and WillAdams like this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'd give my interest in Hell for someone to make a tablet w/ Wacom digitizer which has hardware which all matches up to a MacBook so that one could install OS X.

Ah well, looks like that window is closing --- given the problems w/ Fall Creators Update, I'm really going to have to rethink all of my computer use.

artistebot likes this.
  6. tomin

tomin Pen Pal - Newbie

Of course you're both right ... still I can hear that nagging sound coming from the nether realm ... "I want one!"

artistebot likes this.
  7. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to agree. The big appeal (for me at least) are the features that are aimed specifically at artists, like the express keys and Wacom EMR. I actually also really like the Surface Pro-like detachable keyboard, that can also be used via bluetooth when it is detached. Overall the Zbook X2 is really slick as far as how versatile it is for creatives.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I thought MS said with the Spring Update that there were registry changes that could be made to return pen functionality to how it was previously?

Did i misunderstand?

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The descriptions of the functionality after the registry edit are not inspiring confidence --- we'll see, but I really think this was just the first instance of this sort of problem, and I'm not planning on investing more in a platform so that I can participate in the next instance.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well that's ironic in the "Would be funny if I wasn't trying to make this actually work" way.