Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried messing with the settings in Clip Studio a lot, and nothing fixed it. Furthermore, the same lag and "smoothing" effect when I scribble fast happens in all art software I have tried, including Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai, so it isn't a Clip Studio exclusive issue.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Wacom should kick HP in the pants for damaging their EMR brand if this un-disable-able smoothing is true.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Before I go off on a rant about manufacturers being unresponsive jackalopes by nature when it comes to stylus support issues...

Can you give the developmental 64bit version of Paint Tool SAI a try with the same test?

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/devdept.html

I think (??) SAI has a built-in WinTab driver or something. I don't know how exactly, but it displays none of the problems CSP and Photoshop and other art programs suffer from in terms of pen behavior on my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro. (Another of these new and slightly gimped Wacom licenses).

In any case, it would provide another data point.

4. Yuureikun

My parallel line test yields the same result in that version of SAI as the video I posted of clip studio. If I scribble quickly, even though my pen exceeds the boundaries of the parallel lines, the strokes stay within the parallel lines:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhohs5ogfhfznbf/IMG_0294.MOV?dl=0

This weird lag is the only real thing keeping me from saying that this is the ultimate Windows tablet PC for artists. The form factor, screen texture, build quality, etc are all excellent. The only nit picks I am able to find is this lag/smoothing, and the fact that I have already run into some blue screen crashes (some of which were a result of included BS HP software that I ended up uninstalling).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Steve S likes this.
  5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe I missed it, but did you report this issue to HP support?

6. Yuureikun

I haven't, I have only had the tablet for a few days so I figured I would try figuring it out myself, and confirming whether or not other Zbook X2 users are encountering the same issue before trying to contact HP.

Steve S and artistebot like this.
  7. Yuureikun

So I basically just confirmed that it is the HP/Wacom driver. I uninstalled the HP Creative Control Panel, set Clip Studio to "tablet PC" for the driver. The lag was completely gone, but there was no way to program the express keys without the HP Control Panel. So I reinstalled the HP/Wacom driver, and the lag came back. So whether it is intentional or not, the HP tablet driver is what causes the lag/smoothing and there is no way to turn it off as far as I can tell.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, it sounds like a slightly different flavor of the weirdly locked down driver on the Samsung.

I can't recall if anybody reached out to Samsung for help, but whatever the case, the only way forward that users found involved a couple of light-weight hack solutions, to enable hover-click and bypass the automatic pop-up menu for Very Simple Hobbits when the pen is pulled from the silo.

The only glimmer of hope I see for you is that HP bills their machine as specifically for artists, so they might just be responsive toward requests from artists to fix their friggin' gear box.

What they've done by arbitrarily locking down stylus behavior is an embarrassment!

~~~

Oooh. Hacker thought...

On the old Penabled machines, there was a text document associated with the pen driver which you could fiddle with, changing pressure parameters and such. I wouldn't expect such a thing to be present in a modern machine, but on the off chance that there is a settings file somewhere, that might offer a thread to pull...

9. Yuureikun

I just uninstalled the HP driver again and installed Wacom's most recent driver off of their website instead. Oddly enough, it still comes up on my computer as the "HP Create Control Panel" and still has the lag.

I am really not sure what to make of this. But uninstalling the Wacom drivers to fix pen input, and render the express keys useless isn't an option. The express keys are a huge part of the draw for me with this machine. This is definitely a bummer. It is really all up to HP and/or Wacom to come up with a driver update at this point to fix it.

10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Yuureikun, great find!

Here is a crazy thought, did you try the latest Wacom driver only, without the HP driver, or maybe install the the Wacom one first, then the HP? I am grabbing at straws here. I have not had time to try ether yet.

thatcomicsguy has a good suggestion too, it could be a config file somewhere...?

I am not very familiar with windows and where various components go, might be useful to know where wacom drivers are located, as that is likely the same location for the HP ones. When I get a moment I will "google" that, someone must have tried hacking Wacom drivers in the past.

Finally one last thing..

On the HP Zbook X2 page ( http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/zbook-x2/index.html ), HP specifically states in regards to the Pen:

"Natural tilt and almost zero latency"

Clearly, that is not true until they address the driver issue.