Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just a quick followup, did your colleagues mention what price range they are looking for? A fully-speced MBP15, runs ~$2500-3000 dollars, which is in the same ballpark as a similarly custom configured ZBX2 (after coupon ;)).

So in terms of pricing, they might actually find it's cheaper to get a ZBX2, than to go with the traditional MBP+Wacom tablet solution. Maybe you can lure some of them over here with some comparisons... :D

artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, but there's an awful lot one gives up for Windows vs. Mac OS X:

- Miller column filebrowser
    - Services
    - Quartz/Display PDF
    - rich text features in all applications written with the stock toolkit

The recent crippling of text selection using styluses in Windows Fall Creators Update has me looking at this very hard, and I've been considering:

- iPad Pro and Apple Pencil as a mobile solution
    - Mac Mini as a content / media server which I'd connect to using the iPad Pro when at home

artistebot likes this.
  3. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

If you haven't already tuned Windows 10; there are likely a bunch of terrible processes hogging CPU and RAM.

Go to Control Panel>Admin Tools> Services; Both Disable (in startup type) and Stop:
    Connected User Experience
    Superfetch
    Windows Search
    Geolocation Service
    HP Tellemetry services (If there are any)
    HP Registration and Notification services (again if there are any)

dv8nathan and artistebot like this.
  4. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I just tried turning off those services and it didn't make a difference.

I just tried Photoshop, and am getting the same lag there as well. So I know it isn't just Clip Studio Paint that is causing a problem.

I took a quick video to illustrate what is happening. I took it in slow motion so you can see just how far the cursor is lagging behind the pen at any given time. If you look, you can see that my lines don't even reach to where my pen tip is drawing if I go fast enough. I notice when I am scribbling or hatching, the lines actually stop short of where my pen tip travels to. Again, this is with stabilization turned completely off in Clip Studio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0p137bhojzunay/IMG_0200.MOV?dl=0

And for comparison's sake, here is the same tool being used on my iPad Pro, notice that the cursor is not lagging nearly as far behind, and the strokes easily reach where my pen tip draws while I scribble quickly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqqkqkhdwng61e0/IMG_0203.MOV?dl=0

Is no one else noticing this on their Zbook X2? It would be extremely disappointing if this is built into the driver and not able to be disabled.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    thatcomicsguy, batty and artistebot like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would say it's just the apple pencil being the apple pencil there.
    While I can't completely judge by a slow motion video, I'd say it's just the apple pencil that has less lag. Nothing new.

artistebot likes this.
  6. Yuureikun

The more noteworthy thing is that the strokes don't reach to where my pen tip goes on the Zbook, the Apple pencil was just to illustrate the comparison. The fact that, when I draw quickly, the strokes don't reach all the way to where my pen tip is drawing, is consistent to what happens when stabilization is turned up in Clip Studio despite my having it turned all the way down.

I took one more video, I think this will more clearly illustrate what I am talking about. I have two parallel lines drawn on my canvas. I then scribble trying to reach, or pass each of those lines. Take note of how my pen tip will often touch, or pass the parallel lines, while the strokes that are coming out of my pen remain inside the parallel lines: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgo6muf8dtwik3c/IMG_0206.MOV?dl=0

The strokes I am creating aren't coming anywhere close to where my pen tip is drawing.

I am running out of ideas. I have tried multiple programs and they all do the same thing. If anyone else with a Zbook can test out and see if they are having the same thing happen, that would be amazing. I really want to love this device, and in most ways I do, but sketching quickly with so much lag is really difficult.

7. Azzart

Did you try to use wintab instead of tablet pc?

artistebot likes this.
  8. Yuureikun

Yep, I’ve tried both. It was set to Wintab at the time of filming.

artistebot likes this.
  9. Azzart

I see if I can try that test with the horizontal lines using my galaxy book later today.

artistebot likes this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Yuureikun.

It might be helpful to post the exact tools and document sizes you are using....but...

Comparing the Zbook X2 against my MacPro w CInitq 22HD as well as a Surface Pro 2 and Tab S3

The method, being similar, was scribbling on a huge and small documents in Photoshop(not tab S3), Clip Studio(not tab S3), and Sketchbook Pro.

What I found was what seemed to be less lag in Sketchbook Pro compared to PS and CSP...? There is still some lag in all apps in comparison to my Mac Pro Cintiq 22HD.

I did not notice before, but now that I was looking for it.... overall if you hover the pen over the screen to get the pointer on the desktop , menu, directories etc, the small "dot" lags slightly behind the pen tip, as if on a rubber band. This also happens on my MacPro/Cintiq22HD and Surface Pro 2, and Tab S3, however the effect on the Zbook is much greater.

Knowing that my alternate examples have a lower screen resolutions and via the Nvidia Control panel, I changed the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080. The result seems to be less lag, but the cursor "rubber band" effect it still present. Well... the lower screen resolution is not a fix, so what next?

Pen Calibration...?

I used the calibration in the control panel/hardware and sound/Pen and Touch.

That seems to noticeably help with lag. Sketchbook Pro seems to have much less after calibration. CSP and PS still have it...? I almost never rapidly sketch or scribble, and I tend to use Sketchbook Pro if I am.

I think I recall that similar issues have happened on the the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro, and a Wacom updated the diver seemed to help?

This could be a HP/Wacom driver issue?
    This cold be a screen resolution issue?
    This could be a LCD screen latency issue?

So far my only issues with the Zbook X2 are all Windows 10 related.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018