Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure, did you try changing the Device mode from Standard to Recognition Data, I could not find documentation on it

The more I use the Zbook X2, the more I feel it is the ultimate portable workstation/tablet.

Things it does well are great:

Fully customizable Pen and "Quick" keys remarkably similar to Wacom. (never thought I would see this outside a Wacom device) The power of this cannot be overstated
    EMR Pen w customizable side and top buttons. Yes, it works like a genuine Wacom pen.
    QuadCore i7.
    Excellent 4k display
    Dedicated Nvidia workstation GPU
    32GB DDR4 ram max (in slots, not soldered)
    1 TB SSD max (in slot not soldered)
    Full metal build quality for all components
    Full range of ports including 2 full thunderbolt ports.
    Impact resistant build. Being an expensive device, it cannot be overstated IMHO
    Amazing fully featured detachable keyboard.
    HP offers a full range of extended warranty options up to 5 years, including accident coverage

Things that could be improved, all of them nit-picks IMHO

15" Screen 3:2 aspect ratio, debatable perhaps?
    Battery life (currently max about 5-6hrs)
    Auto switching between dedicated GPU and Hybrid. Currently only possible in BIOS that tends to be very disrupting.
    Silo for Stylus.
    Weight, needs support or two hands to be comfortable in use, but it might be too fragile if built with lighter material...?
    Magnetic power connector. Apple abandoned a good idea...WTF?
    Light-up quick keys. I will simply put colored florescent labels on mine
    Display toggle like cinitq...? (see above)
    Stylus w two side buttons.
    Built-in LTE
    The "detachable" form factor can be awkward in laptop mode, perhaps the Surface Book does this better?

IMHO, if the choice was between the Wacom MSP or Zbook, the Zbook is better in significant ways.

This seems to be MY Macbook killer I have been waiting for, thanks to HP. Well worth the price as HP has put almost every feature possible into such a small form factor. Now, if I can make Windows 10 less bloated...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One barrier I see (and this is true of many portable workstation tablets, like the Z Canvas and Surface Book) is simple exposure within the Mac creative community.

Among your artist friends, do you find they are looking for an expanded tablet experience beyond the iPad Pro? When you show them the ZBX2 does it leave a distinct or memorable impression? (And critically, is it strong enough to remain after a new Apple MBP announcement? :p)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  4. Gosudesign

Gosudesign Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering about this too and then learned the reason why, is the DreamColor display color accuracy requires the NVIDIA GPU to be on always.

Also, can you explain what you mean by magnetic connector and how it would work on this device? I thought Apple dropped the magsafe connector on their devices this year.

5. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

So I just received a Zbook X2 to test drive for work. It is a super well built device, but I am noticing some lag when using the stylus that I usually don't encounter in Clip Studio. I have brush stabilization turned all the way down, and made sure none of the brushes are using tilt sensitivity for anything (as that will cause them to slow down as well usually), but I am still noticing a fair amount of lag as if there is still stabilization being applied to my strokes. Is it possible that there is some stabilization baked into the driver? Are there any Windows Ink features that could be causing this? I actually haven't used a PC for a few years now, so I am unfamiliar with a lot of the features in Windows 10 that perhaps I could mess with to fix the issue.

If anyone could lend a hand, that would be great. This seems like an excellent device, but I would love it if pen input were a little more snappy.

artistebot likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

What cpu does it have, what brushes are you trying?
    Maybe we can try to find a common common ground (same brush and size, same file size, canvas fit to screen, etc) to test and compare result with different machines...

artistebot likes this.
  7. Yuureikun

My model has a quad core intel i7 8550u 1.8ghz processor and 16gb ram. I notice it on all my brushes, but since I sketch quicker than I ink or paint, I notice it most on my custom pencil tool . You can download it here to test if you would like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e35vllkbpp98cu7/HB Real Pencil 2.sut?dl=0

It also happens with the stock G Pen as well though, so it doesn't seem to be my specific brushes.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@Yuureikun any possibility that performance on the battery icon is set to battery saver so it keeps the cpu clock lower?

artistebot likes this.
  9. Yuureikun

No, I set it to a high performance plan already, and have been using it while plugged in to ensure that it is higher performance rather than battery saving.

artistebot likes this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Great question, I should have said..."for me". :)

IMHO, I really doubt it would totally convert a devout mac user as I have been one since 1996 and still have my upgraded 2010 Mac Pro. Assuming it is a worthy I will eventually get the "new" MacPro. I have a huge investment in and feel that essentially OSX remains easier to use and maintain. My Macbook Pro has been my secondary device when I travel, I used a small USB tablet it i needed to. I have done production work on it and still do minor work from time to time.on It.

As for my artist friends and coworkers, most are not heavily tied to OSX, but to Photoshop and software. The Macbook still stands out because they are so rugged and not ugly, so some use the Macbook exclusively with Windows installed. A few that have seen the Zbook X2 have said that it is the device they are looking for, but costs a lot.

IMHO the current Macbooks are a step backwards by going all USB-C and removing the SDcard port and Magsafe. I have not encountered anyone who found the new "touch screen" on the keyboard as an improvement. OSX is showing no signs of incorporating touch, ignoring the new generation of people who grew up using it, ironically something Apple started with the iPhone and iPad.

As for the iPad Pro, it is awesome, but it does not run full photoshop, it lacks good multi-tasking, plus the OS file system could be better. The Apple Pencil functions well, but I find it too heavy, hard to hold, and sync and charge to be a PITA. I don't find the lack of Photoshop to be as big a deal.

Is the Zbook X2 sexy, not really, in comparison to an Apple product. It looks similar to every other PC device, putting function over form, borrowing ideas rather than challenging them. Never the less, the Zbook X2 is well thought out in terms of functionality and seems to make no compromises in quality. In a way, the Wacom MSP is more sexy looking, thanks to its curved forms and chrome accents.

I wonder if the audience that would buy this device is wary, because they paid big bucks for a Wacom device, only to encounter poor build quality, technical hardware flaws, and terrible support?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Marty likes this.