Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

yeah I confirmed this on the phone with them the other night. Canada stores have completely different codes and promotions from the US unfortunately.

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I can't stop thinking about how a part that HP charges only $25 for is keeping me from potentially saving hundreds.

People who have a Zbook x2 without a fingerprint reader (should be all the owners so far, yeah?), is there a blank slot for the fingerprint reader? It should be located on the right edge near the top.
    upload_2018-3-26_20-24-32.png
    9 is the kickstand. 7 is the fingerprint reader.

If I can definitely install the fingerprint reader afterwards, I could tolerate getting a pre-configured sku. If you can't even tell there's supposed to be something there, then I am SOL and will have to go custom only.

I found the fingerprint reader board and cable here: http://partsurfer.hp.com so it's not impossible. Hilariously, the part also costs $25 to order.

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, there is a opening in that location, with a cover inserted. It kinda looks like a button, but does nothing.

I would miss the approx $1300 I saved buying the pre-config with discount over the $25 finger reader.

Face recognition is pretty neat...

Selofain likes this.
  4. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree.

My ZBX2 was built to order, so I got the fingerprint reader because I liked using one on my last two PCs and it was cheap. However, apart from when I registered my fingerprints with it, I haven't used it because the windows hello facial recognition is excellent, at least when you're working in front of the camera.

Maybe the fingerprint reader would be more useful when you're carrying the device around in slate mode? Even then, the fingerprint reader location is a bit awkward - I think it would be easier to use if it was on the front or rear rather than the side.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Speaking for myself, I have tried a few built-in and a few after market fingerprint readers and I can't say that I've been too impressed with any of them. As others have already said, Windows Hello, by contrast, seems to be very reliable (although I have these nagging doubts about how easily it can be fooled). I certainly wouldn't let a $25 fingerprint reader stand in the way of a 25% (or more) discount! Especially when an after market FP reader like the pdi (based on Synaptics technology, I believe) is pretty small and unobtrusive.

Just my 2¢ on this topic!

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Awesome! So I can definitely install the part myself.

I am 100% uninterested in facial recognition. My fingerprint reader on my T901 has never failed me and I love using it.

Although Fujitsu has this palm vein authentication thing that also looks prety cool. I would consider that an acceptable substitute. But facial recognition? Nah, nope. I'll probably tape over the camera and sensors because I don't need them at all. Especially the ambient light sensor. Nothing more than the devil's work.

7. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

yea I like fingerprint readers too and the one on my galaxy note has never let me down. The funny thing is android stopped using fingerprint reading to login to the device which is aggravating.

8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

It's funny, I've never used the fingerprint reader on my Note 4. I don't think it played well with my custom roms and possibly my custom launcher. It doesn't work currently. I was kind of looking forwarding to using one when I upgrade some time in the distant future (lol). Kind of a shame if Android no longer offers it.

9. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

android locked us out from using it to unlock the phone upon start, and since im using verizons botched android with no root(you can hack it though), theirs no way for it to be useful. I tried today for an hour different apps trying to get the stupid password unlock to stop showing up when the phone is restarted but no go.

10. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the fingerprint reader. i wasnt using it at first but i do use it primarily now. face recognition works great but sometimes i have to hold away or at a certain angle.

Selofain likes this.