Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

In the settings for the touch pad, you can adjust the sensitivity. I switched from medium to high sensitivity (one level below "most sensitive") and so far it's working much better.

I've also added a shortcut to the control panel to the start tiles so that I don't have to mess about with the newfangled "settings" that windows 10 seems determined to impose on me.

2. mtnoxx

mtnoxx Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my max-spec ZBook x2 for 24 hours now after nearly three weeks in Chinese and US customs. The display is excellent, the battery life quite poor, barely lasting 3 hours at 75% brightness and biased towards "Best Battery Life". I get that the screen is sucking up watts, but realistically the machine is only suited to the briefest of mobile use.

I've noticed two things that are shaping up to be deal-breakers for me: First, the keyboard rarely auto connects to the body (Bluetooth is on). Secondly, none of the quick keys work, ever, in any application. I can select the Mode and that's all, the other keys are always unresponsive. If I can't resolve this issue, I'll need to return the x2 which is a shame.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...none of the quick keys work, ever...>>

...Could be a case of infant mortality, but... Did you notice anything unusual during set-up? Did you skip or defer any steps? Have you tried restarting a few times in a row?

4. mtnoxx

mtnoxx Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha, well said. No, nothing unusual during setup, no skipped steps. HP Support Assistant indicates everything is updated.

I'm inclined to chalk this up to first-generation teething problems and call this a failed experiment and go down a different path, I think. Oh, what a nice display though, insanely power-hungry as it is.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you have the Dream Color Display or the Standard Display? The Dream Color requires consistent use of the Quadro Graphics card, so the screen would technically be sucking up more watts then other comparable devices with integrated graphics options. that's probably why HP opted for the 70 Watt Battery in the first place. Comparatively, the Mobile Studio Pro and Surface Pro have smaller 52 & 45 watt batteries. However 2-3 Hours is pretty much on par with the Mobile Studio. With full screen brightness I barley get more then 2 hours. The Acer Switch 7 also has a very similar battery life from early accounts. And EMR digitizes do suck up more power then AES/Ntrig pens so....2-3 Hours is realistically as best as you could expect in all honestly. I've had alot of EMR machines over the years....I don't remember any of them lasting beyond the 3-4 hour mark on a single charge, even the Atom devices. Even my Galaxy Book 10.6....with its Core M3 and 37-40 Watt Battery can barley make the 3-4 hour mark.

6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

The Cinitq 32Gb Companion Hybrid that I had could last ~10 hrs.

I get pretty good battery life on the current Tab A w S-pen. The Tab S3 does pretty good too. Of course all of the examples here are running Android. Samsung has the option to turn off the digitizer if the pen is in the silo on the tab a, saving power too.

:)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  7. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

To get an impression of the ZBX2 performance, I decided to pit my i7-8650U ZBX2 (4.2GHz max) against a colleague's i7-6560U HP Spectre (3.2GHz max) on a CPU intensive task. I lost. And was puzzled. The Spectre was maybe 15% quicker.

On investigation, the 8650U was being limited to 2.3GHz. I was running on battery but I'd set the power plan to High Performance so I didn't think it could be that. But when I plug in to AC, the 8650U runs happily at over 4GHz and completes the task proportionally quicker. Happy again!

artistebot likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, and its puzzling to no end why Samsung hasn't incorporated that power saving feature into the Galaxy Books or Notebook9 13/15.

But you can't compare a proper Core M3/i5/i7 Full Windows Tablet to an Android tablet.....its like comparing a Bicycle to a Motorcycle. Even the Cintiq Companion Hybrid.....given its enormous size and thickness.....its not even fair to pit that against other Android Tablets since no one else would even make and android tablet that big and thick. Its memory serves the Hyrbid even had a 70 watt battery....powering an Android OS....10-Hour Battery life would be an easy feat.

9. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

found an even better solution for the pen. originaly got it for ipad only but when it came in i saw two mounting clips intended to be stuck to an ipad case. well i cut it up to fit on zbook pen and put one of the tabs on the top and it held solid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and i used the scraps for the pencil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marty and artistebot like this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Get 40% off HP workstations, includes the Zbook x2

Code " HPDEALMOON40 " Valid until 3/31

Please don’t post this on SlickDeals.

JUST looking at the Zbook X2 with 8th gen CPU...

i7-8550U - 16GB ram - 512 SSD
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-x2-g4-detachable-workstation-p-3wp24ut-aba-1

$1,619.40 with 40% off applied

i7-8650U - 16GB ram - 512 SSD
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-x2-g4-detachable-workstation-p-3xp77ua-aba-1

$1,740.00 with 40% off applied

i7-8650U - 32GB ram -1TB SSD
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-x2-g4-detachable-workstation-p-3xp75ua-aba-1

$1,967.40 with 40% off applied

…etc.

I suggest ordering over the phone. HP seems VERY slow update the actual inventory. The sales people seem unaware of the discount, are surprised by it, but it does work. My order, the 32GB model arrived via FedEx today.

:)