Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Slapped together a little comparison using Passmark graphics scores (because they were the one source that I found that had all the devices below scored with the same benchmarks):

upload_2018-3-15_22-48-6.png

As always, I caution that benchmarks are very specialized and results can be deceptive under some circumstances. However, this gives an idea of how the different graphics engines compare...

artistebot and Marty like this.
  2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

A quick question....

I seems to me that the HP Zbook x2 checks every box for a modern mobile art device, but is held back by price?

The Acer Switch 7 promises a comparable device (kinda-sorta..) for ~30-40% lower?

OR

Is the issue physical dimensions, aspect ratio, pen storage, brand?

Does HP suck?

I have own Apple laptops for decades and they has mostly been great, in particular the unibody models being tough as tanks. My experience with PC laptops not as good.

Just wondering as this seems to me (as an artist) to be a great Macbook replacement/upgrade...

3. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

comparison photo[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    another way to draw, the width is good in the lap[​IMG][​IMG]
    dream color settings[​IMG]
    the pictures dont seem to be showing up so here is a link to a google photos album
    some pictures of bios settings, size comparisons, menus, light bleed, button sizing, nfc on the touchpad, and more
    hpzbook
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the pictures dont seem to be showing up...>>

@dv8nathan : Nice set of images.

Importing images into posts under XenForo (the forum software suite) has always been a murky process. Using IMG links will work, but there's a lot of overhead to creating them. Instead, I suggest that you try simply drag-n-drop ' ing them into your post before you hit "Post Reply." You don't need to select "thumbnail" or "Full Size" either.

Once posted, however, changes or additions to your images once again becomes problematic...

artistebot and dv8nathan like this.
  5. dv8nathan

Oh wow thankyou, i was having a difficult time with that.

6. artistebot

Thanks for posting those images.

That raises a few questions:

I think HP velocity mode relates to wireless data streaming, if turned off does it save power?

The notification about the Smart AC adaptor having too low power output, what does the ZBX2 need to run and charge, if a portable battery is used?

Light bleed, kinda sad to see so much of it. I would think that HP can build better hardware compared to the poor Wacom quality. Makes me wonder about the rest?

Would be nice is the graphics switch did not require reboot into Bios...why! The first iteration of the Unibody Macbook Pro 2008 could not do it automatically...but 10 years ago!

Screen brightness seems considerably less the SP and IPP.

7. dv8nathan

1. i have not done any research on velocity mode but going through bios and settings i do believe we can squeeze more time out of the batteries.

2. that was my note 8 charger. i even turned off zbook to see if i could trickle charge of sorts but 0 change in battery percentage. im guessing something that is power delivery over usbc/Tb3 should do it. that is next on my list.

3. the light bleed does not bother me one bit, but i think it will be different for others.

4. I fixed the graphics switch problem. i connected my gpu, went to divice manager, updated drivers automatically for the gtx1070 and wala! no problems anymore!!!! the BSD was before updates were done.

5. they are brighter but its not a bad thing for zbook. i never understood adobeRGB difference but i switched back and forth and compared to ipad and cintiq, i checked a color wheel on google and i was surprised the colors that other devices were missing.

8. dv8nathan

this was this morning. the zbook running idisplay to ipad, usb monitor on top, cintiq to the right. had to go to work and it was fully charged, and all the programs were where i left off. i know with TB3 makes this one plug and go is possible on many more devices now, but add in emr, express keys with a kickstand and this artist is happy:D

[​IMG]

artistebot likes this.
  9. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm pretty much set up with my zbx2 now and ready to start working with it. Same spec as you apart from I went with the 8650U.

I also have some light bleed. It's near the camera but I think mine is a bit less apparent and is a slightly different pattern. As these two machines are different, I wonder if this means they'll be able to fine-tune their manufacturing processes to reduce it. I'm sketching linework and annotating in Leonardo (which is excellent, by the way - much better than my old copy of Sketchbook Pro 6 that I relied upon until recently) and doing 3D CAD mostly, so accurate colour rendition isn't particularly important to me either.

I'm wondering if I have a slightly dodgy trackpad though - have you noticed any issues with it? I've seen a couple of annoying behaviours:

1. Lacked sensitivity in certain areas of the pad for a while. Seems fine now though. Maybe there's some kind of self-calibration going on.
    2. Didn't work at all for a while (keyboard working, so not an obvious bluetooth issue). Detaching seemed to make it work and then it would stop again when reattached.

Hopefully, it's just teething problems. If not, I guess HP will be able to send me a new keyboard unit, so not massively inconvenient.

I ran a SolidWorks 2017 performance test and it got pretty good scores for GPU, CPU and IO - about what I'd expect, i.e. part way between a normal decent laptop and a full-on workstation laptop. I'll repeat it again when I'm sure it's finished indexing and so on and post the scores. Seems pretty smooth running SW on an extended desktop external 4k screen, so pretty pleased so far.

Art_N00b and artistebot like this.
  10. artistebot

Are you able to charge via USB C, or simply pugging the power cord into the Samsung charger?

Are you saying that connecting to a Egpu, the device will switch automatically to it? I wonder if a software update could enable automatic switching between the Quadro and intel chips when needed or set based upon power conservation settings?

Where did all the Rum go? :)