Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed the SB2 discreet 1060 GTX is better, but how is the Acer MX150 better in regards to its intended purpose? Maybe I am confused but does the M620 have twice the memory bandwidth?

Maybe I am wrong?

Advantages of NVIDIA GeForce MX150
    Somewhat newer (17 May 2017 vs 11 January 2017)
    Finer manufacturing process technology (14 vs 28 nm)
    Vulkan (a contemporary API for graphics acceleration, based on now-discontinued Mantle)
    Multi Monitor

Advantages of NVIDIA Quadro M620 Mobile
    Wider memory bus (128 vs 64 bit)
    More pipelines (512 vs 384)
    Higher memory bandwidth (80.19 vs 40.1 GB/s)

2. Floater

Floater Pen Pal - Newbie

UPS called today querying my address for a delivery from HP in Germany. Delivery rescheduled for tomorrow. Trying not to get too excited in case it's just the docking station or something!

It seems such a long time since this thing was announced, and even longer that I've been waiting for a convertible or detachable tablet workstation that's great for sketching and can run SolidWorks well. My venerable Fujitsu T902 has served me excellently for the last 5 and a half years (!) but I have even higher hopes for the ZBX2. Yes, I would have paid to have a more powerful GPU, perhaps something like a Quadro M1200, but I'm sure the M620 card will be just fine. It's certainly going to be better than the integrated HD4000 of the T902.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Surface Book 2's 6GB 1060 (15 inch model anyway) smokes both the MX150 and M620........but the MX150 is basically a mobile version of a GTX 1050, and generally GTX cards serve better for more all around performance. Also the M620 is based on the Maxwell Architecture. The 1050 was based off Pascal which is Maxwells successor and Pascal is generally considered to be one of the most significant GPU advancements we've had in a while.

This comparison from Notebook check I think well sums it up.

gtx.JPG

4. artistebot

Ah I see.

Often the frustrating thing is comparing GTX vs Quadro!

There must be a reason HP picked the M620....?

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's a Quadro, it has certified drivers for professional applications.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Also, between other things, unlike the geforce the quadro supports a real 10 bit color workflow.

7. artistebot

Looking at the SPECviewperf 12 ratings that focus on 3D modelling applications, the Quadro really seems to shine. However for video games it is almost opposite.

One thing I find interesting, is how similar Maya is on both, that makes me wonder how out of date Maya's optimization could be in comparison to other apps. In my experience Maya seems to slow down more than others with heavy scene files...

GeforceMX150

Solidworks (sw-03) 1900x1060 Max 24.42 fps
    Maya (maya-04) 1900x1060 max: 26.24 fps
    3ds Max (3dsmax-05) 1900x1060 22 fps (13%)
    Catia (catia-04) 1900x1060 max: 16.86 fps

Quadro M620

Solidworks (sw-03) 1900x1060 55.35 fps
    Maya (maya-04) 1900x1060 max: 26.5 fps
    3ds Max (3dsmax-05) 1900x1060 32.5 fps (19%)
    Catia (catia-04) 1900x1060 max: 33.32 fps

Honestly I don't play any PC games, but I have using "gaming cards" most of the time when using Maya, Modo, Zbrush...etc , so in my experience, they both seem to do fine...?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

so i just got it this afternoon and its a gorgeous machine. i need a bit more time and will post feedback tonight after i have it set up a bit more. updates and installs.

Steve S, Selofain, dellaster and 4 others like this.
  9. artistebot

Looking forward to hearing about it, what configuration did you get?

:)

10. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

my configuration: i7 8550u, 32g ram, 512 z turbo drive tlc ssd, dream color display, fingerprint reader

updates was a nightmare. but now i can start playing with it a bit.

at a glance it looks lighter than it is which might be that it is thinner in person than the impression i got from online videos. but solid, really solid good build.

vertical drawing with sketchbook was not as cramped as i thought it might be, i do dismiss my side panels though. other programs may not work as well.

i dont feel like im losing screen real estate compared to MSP16 even though i know its is smaller

i cant begin to talk about the awesomeness of the detachable keyboard. sitting back in my chair with screen on table right now.

reversing the type cover when in drawing mode adds great protection for when you set it down.

the express keys are much smaller in person compared to MSP, BUT its not a bad thing at all. wished they would have back lit or trimmed the buttons with a lighter color so they would be easier to see in the dark but they do have shapes you can feel just as easy.

the matte texture is exactly like MSP and just awesome to draw on.

NFC on the touchpad makes a sound on the pc when i put my phone up to it, but i have no idea how to use it.

even though i got fingerprint reader i prefer windows hello face login so i haven't even set it up yet. funny, maybe its me, but the infra red lights are huge compared to other windows devices, not a bad thing, just curious.

there is a settings panel to change the dream color...there are settings for audio...so many settings i haven't had the time to go thru

the pen holder is surprisingly good. interestingly i had a usb pen holder that used to go to my thinkpad that the pen fit into just fine, for when i decside to walkoff without my keyboard

kickstand is so much thinner than it looks in pictures but is very strong, no flex. sticks well to tablet until you pull it out. the first inch or two it is easy to open then after that it becomes more rigid.

i kinda like the chopped off corners. thought it would bother me but its extremely comfortable to hold and i am liking the unique look.

will post more results after i get to play some more besides just sketchbook. still have so many programs to install

Selofain, ATIVQ, Steve S and 2 others like this.