Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its called marketing....the advertising/marketing tactics you're complaining about HP using here with the Zbook are literally the same that everyone else uses.....Apple, Microsoft,.....everyone does that same ****, any official advertising is just business as usual. Microsoft sure as hell isn't going to market the Surface Book 2 as "Not having Thunderbolt 3". No marketing pitch is going to emphasis a downside.....at least as long as it can't be spun as a benefit....(although Apple does find a way ever now and then to do just that.) I do think however HP should have outright compared this to the Mobile Studio Pro however....since that is clearly its main competition.

Not true at all. I bought a Surface Pro 3 and I love that thing to death.....but I still bought the Cintiq Companion 2 because of the Better Pen and Express Keys. And when my CC2 died....the at the time Pro 4's pen tech still wan't to my liking and I went with the Mobile Studio Pro. Even the current NSP and Book2.....my biggest concerns is the N-trig Mpp Pen and the lack of Thunderbolt 3 ports. As much as I would love to get either the NSP or Book2.....the superior EMR pen tech alone would make me plunk down on a ZBook or Acer Switch 7 over another Surface. The Zbook as is, is the perfect amalgamation of both a Mobile Studio Pro and Surface Pro.....Despite the weight and price, it is more then worthy to directly compete with them.

godofiron, Art_N00b and okieiam like this.
  2. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

They price it a way that people think, HP place Zbook X2 in the MSP shelf. But the chart targets casual users?

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The very first thing in my post you quote says I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaining about the uninformed usage of that information.

Since you bought a Cintiq Companion 2, you're clearly part of some niche and not only part of the broader market that a Surface Pro is aimed at.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you forgetting what forum you’re on? Every regular posting member on this forum makes up that Niche. Literally WE ARE the Niche!

godofiron, DRTigerlilly and dv8nathan like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I just wanna know how much this thing is gonna cost when it is maxxed out and available with the quad core. $4000??? $5000??

okieiam likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

“We are the niche” - Nice tagline for tabletpcreview.com :)

7. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Come quick, please, the deal gonna expired, DeskJet voucher 39.9$ plus

8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Wait the customization options are out!!!

/runs to try out configurator

Ooooh oh oh the pen is only $66! Yes!

...damn. Assuming upgradeability (so, specced with 8gb ram and 128gb ssd), my preferred config (minus quad core, which...sigh) is $3302. Ouch.

Honestly, the biggest savings is the Adobe Cloud Creative Suite, which is configured by default, but it's $479. Dreamcolor screen is $175 more, which isn't too bad, so I may consider it.

brb, need to see if pen is sold separately yet.

Edit: can't find the x2 pen for sale, but apparently HP makes a tilt capable MPP pen.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I thought Surface Book 2 was outrageous - the "Customizable" version of the ZBook BEGINS at $4335...with a fully dressed 16gb/1TB tipping the scales at $4883...>>

...Certainly $4900 is a lot of money but as an observation, my Dell Latitude XT (circa early 2008) cost me ~$4000 - $4100 and I think that was for 4 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD (and the bonus of the first ever commercial application of the N-trig passive pen; the HP TX2000 / TX2 didn't hit the market until a couple of months later... or at least that's what I remember!). The TX was a business-class machine and built accordingly so the price didn't seem as bad as it otherwise might have. Only later did problems with the swivel screen hinge emerge. And then there were the constant issues with the N-trig pen and touch drivers that were literally never-ending. So maybe $4000 was pretty outrageous, after all!

Fast forward to 2015, and my quad-core VAIO Z Canvas cost me $2600 (16 GB / 512 GB SSD). So by that comparison, and considering that I've been enjoying quad-core performance for over two years, $4300 does look pretty outrageous!

I'll probably take a serious look at the ZBook after it comes out, but @dstrauss is probably right; the price may be a deal-killer...!

surfaceproartist likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...Just configured a dual-core ZBook the way I would want it. $4500. Wow!

When the quad-core options become available, they would only cost more, and that's really the only post-Z Canvas version that I would want. Price really is going to be the deal-killer here...!

PS: It's also worth noting that, after 2+ years, my Z Canvas continues to work nearly flawlessly with only the occasional hiccup. Pretty outstanding, considering. It's a shame that VAIO now seems to have abandoned the performance end of the tablet market... :(

ATIVQ likes this.