Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. tomin

tomin Pen Pal - Newbie

2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

after taxes the lowest version will come close to 2400 dollar, for that amount of money only HP could throw in a 128 gigabyte hard drive, them or lenovo :eek: Vaio didnt try pulling this crap with their base model with canvas, anything over 2k its preposterous.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't forget Shipping!

Also....isn't the Pen sold separately too? So tack on another $100

and then I'd hope anyone who plunks down for this does opt for one of HP Accidental Care Packages......so that would be another $100-$200.

So that would really bring the Base model price up to around $2730-ish..........at that point, I would just budget out for 3K honestly, and plunk down for a new backpack/carrying case and/or a USB-C Thunderbolt Monitor to go along with it. Go big or go home and all that.

4. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

whats happened with all my devices is once an SSD hits below 60 GB, performance starts degrading to the point its unusable. We should go strike HP management facilities with picked signs!!! So after windows you have 90GB, that gives you 30GB of usable space not accounting for any more updated with windows 10.

Its kind of sad to see them go this route, the machine itself is a work of art.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  5. darkmagistric

Actually that problem is relative to the size of the SSD. The way SSD's write and rewrite into empty and partially empty blocks.....performance typically degrades if you keep the drive more then 75% filled. Like if you have a 128GB SSD.....you should never fill it past 90GB. I've even read that by some accounts keeping the drive only half fill will provide the longest life span.

6. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Yuck, another device DOA. It checks all the boxes but if they are going after the serious artist, at this price most will get the MSP.

7. zedata

zedata Pen Pal - Newbie

When the Vaio Canvas first came out it was around $3K then a few months later they went on sale for almost half the price. All retailers discounted the price to match the sale that the Microsoft store was doing for several months even after the sale. We could hope for something like that when the 8th gen processors come out :) . The base models seem to be priced incorrectly but we don't really know what will happen to prices between now and when the top tier models are available. They said, early 2018.

Art_N00b likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

HOLY FREAKING CRAP.

I've been out of commission for a while now, busy working, hit by big life events like a death of a close friend, and other things so I have been absent for all the big news and forum talks. ACER SWITCH?? HP Z-BOOK X2??? what is happening? All my tablet wet dreams are manifesting!?!?
    I'm gonna weigh in on the debate over whether this tablet is worth it to a professional in need of a mobile solution at such a high price point.

First, EMR. This to me makes or breaks every decision. No matter how many times I try I cant make AES in any brand work for me as a daily driver. I have to admit, that new Yoga 15 beast looks much more compelling in specs to price ratio, but as a AES device --similar to the canvas-- its just not justifiable to me to get. Ive tried drawing with the canvas and duo 13 and all the surfaces and they just dont compare. I draw fast, and expect to see my strokes and cursor wherever my pen is and expect it to be smooth with no hooks or vectoring. Only EMR has been able to provide me that. So the only competitors to this machine in my mind are really the Switch 7 and the Mobile Studio Pro.

Next, GPU. I am so glad that the industry is recognizing we need them. I am bummed they are trying to pull one over on us with these crappy low end GPUs though. Honestly, just toss a gaming GPU in it instead to make it more affordable and more powerful. There are few applications that make use of the Quadro specs, and for most 3D applications in Adobe, the gaming series with high clockspeeds and more memory are better. Just toss a mid range 960M in there and most of us would benefit way more. If someone here is a 3D professional (I dont work too much in 3D) please correct me if I'm wrong here.

CPU. Looks great, though I wonder about the low base clock speed on the quad cores for some applications. In some ways the dual cores could outperform for some tasks that dont utilize the extra cores but just need the raw speed. 2.8ghz base clock on the dual core looks really nice, but the turbo clock on the quad core is totally fine. It comes down to how long turbo can be sustained and what kind of thermals this machine can keep during a long workday of pushing this thing to its max.

SCREEN. 4K? 100% RGB? This thing is screaming for my wallet... The 16:9 aspect ratio debate is not really my concern since I work in film/animation, so I prefer the film industry ratios for my work, unlike comic artists and illustrators who I understand want something closer to print ratios. I do wish it was a 16" screen, and I would GLADLY take more weight if it meant more power and more size. Who cares if its 5lbs?? Your not walking around drawing on this thing with one arm.. your packing it in a bag, sitting it down on a desk or table and working away. It could be 10 pounds and it wouldn't bother me. Its more mobile than a desktop, so its mobile. Its not a cellphone.

MEMORY. 32 gigs is a welcome and important jump for me. I have 32 gigs in my current desktop build and its my new minimum when working with large files in Adobe. After Effects wants more, even with 100 gigs+ of SSD scratch disk to work with. Even photoshop can gobble up 32 gigs fast if your working on huge files, though I think PS is more concerned with SSD scratch disk size and speed. My old T902 has 16, I want the upgrade in RAM too.

Finally, PRICE. I paid $3200 after all upgrades and shipping and taxes for my T902. I don't regret it one bit, it paid itself off in spades, lasting through many jobs and pumping out tons of content that ended up on TV and big screens. $4000 would be pushing even my threshold though. Lets hope it comes down in price for the top end models, since the low end models probably aren't worth it to anyone unless we are able to upgrade ourselves.

Ultimately I'm just psyched our niche is being recognized! What a pleasant surprise logging in today. :):):)

Tams, stormi, zedata and 3 others like this.
  9. darkmagistric

That’s my personal hope for the ZBook....not that I’m hoping it flops, because I love the concept (just not the price) but unlike Wacom....who is still charging the same prices for the Mobile Studio Pro after a full year....I have some hope that HP may and probably will drop the price down a few months after launch. Half off like the ZBook would be awesome as hell, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Intel should debut its GPU-accelerated inking along with USI in 2018. If Wacom has any sense at all they'd implement it for their AES digitizers. I'm certain Microsoft will.

stormi likes this.