Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Steve and anyone else interested.

I finally got around to calling HP about my battery trouble today and learned something that might be quite important to anyone looking to replace theirs.

Fortunately, mine is still in warranty and HP will send out an engineer to replace the battery on-site.

I asked what the arrangement is when the machine is out of warranty and was told HP still requires an engineer to visit the customer to fit it and won't send a battery out to customers to fit themselves.
    I pressed the guy on this because HP publishes disassembly instructions and so customers should surely be able to take their machine apart and change the battery themselves. Apparently, disassembly for RAM and HDD/SSD replacement is ok, but not battery!

I can only imagine an out of warranty battery replacement will be a very expensive exercise in that case - does anyone have experience?

For comparison, my Father has a 2015 Fujitsu Lifebook U904 and just bought a replacement battery from Fujitsu's official partner, which I'll fit when I go home for Christmas.

2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

The Zbook X2 is starting to get old (I still love and use mine)

HP is covering themselves in case of user error in those cases. I think Apple does the same as I suspect all the others do.

There are plenty of 3rd party Zbook x2 batteries, and HP did publish a video on how to replace it.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Speaking about warranties, I've discovered yet another sign that the X2 is at the end of the road (HP-wise). My extended warranty has only a few more days to run, so I contacted HP to see what kind of options I might have for an extension. Long story short, there are none, at least in the US.

I can understand HP wanting to put the X2 to bed, but it seems a shame there isn't any kind of coverage available any more. I recently had an odd keyboard problem where my KB became completely unresponsive. On a hunch, I connected the KB to a USB charger and after a few minutes, the KB came back to life. Now I'm debating about whether I should start one last service case or not; everything seems to be OK, but I don't know why the KB became comatose in the first place...

However, I've made the decision that I'm going to keep using my X2 until it is no longer viable for day-to-day use. I still think it's a great machine!

4. Steve S

<<...Hi Steve and anyone else interested...>>

@incredulous : Thanks for the follow-up. Closing the loop on these maintenance issues is always valuable.

<<...There are plenty of 3rd party Zbook x2 batteries, and HP did publish a video on how to replace it...>>

@artistebot : Can you cite any URLs? Seems like this would be useful information for everyone to have.

By coincidence, I was looking at my battery health just a couple of days ago. After 4 years of use, my battery is still in remarkably good relative condition...

5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Search "zbook x2 g4 battery" on amazon...

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I just installed Windows 11 on my Zbook X2 and it seems to have given my zBook a new lease on life.

I was waiting for the Windows Update method, but that was still not available, so I used the Windows 11 install assistant instead. It was quite smooth, felt more like just doing a regular windows update instead of installing a new OS.

Few months back, my Zbook wouldn't boot up, had to reinstall Windows, was able to save all my files, but reinstalling Windows 10 didn't seem to really work well, lots of random glitches and issues. Thought about doing a clean full re-install, but instead just did the Windows 11 update.

It fixed everything, not a single issue ( at least not yet). And Windows 11 running on my Zbook is really snappy, alot faster then I expected.

It also seems to have helped with battery life a bit. Full screen brightness my Zbook (without powering a 2nd monitor) would be at like 30/40% left after 90 minutes. Ran off battery for an hour and a half just now, and it still had 56% left. So definitely an improvement.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Spoke too soon.

Can't get Clip Studio to work. Uninstall, reinstalled, redownloaded, reinstalled, etc...it seems to install just fine, but it just won't open.

Is there a security/app setting in Windows 11 I need to check/modify?

8. Steve S

<<...Is there a security/app setting in Windows 11 I need to check/modify?..>>

It's possible that the problem is with CSP. I haven't been paying much attention to Win11 app compatibility because I'm not in any rush to migrate, but has anyone else reported that CSP is OK on Win11?

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm launching CSP Ver. 1.11.4 without issue on my Win11 build.

Could it be an issue with the license manager? @darkmagistric, maybe try launching the exe directly, instead of through the launcher, and see if you can get to the registration screen.

Steve S likes this.
  10. Steve S

Just a note for X2 users; over the last few weeks, I've been receiving several driver and S/W updates for my X2 via the HP Support Assistant. Most recently, I got an updated video driver.

So if you haven't checked recently, you might take a look. (Note that these updates appear to be separate from HP updates delivered through Windows Update...)

These updates might be to support the eventual migration to Windows 11...???