Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If you can get the ZBook X2 pen, you would be in much better shape. I have tried a handful of pens on it, and none feel quite as good as the original pen it comes with. That said, if you can't get one for some reason, a Staedtler Noris digital stylus or old Fujitsu T902 pen will also do the trick fine.

2. qwz2

qwz2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a deal for Wacom Pen Pro 2 for about $ 75 and used Fujitsu for around $20. Have to try.

3. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom pro pen 2 will not work on the zbook.
    The Wacom One pen works perfectly and is cheaper.
    There's also the Lamy which is nice and not too expensive.

qwz2 and WillAdams like this.
  4. qwz2

qwz2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally, find Lamy EMR pen, unexpectedly in offline shop selling Waterman, Parkers and other fancy ink pens. Drawing and sketching is much better with it than with S Pen though.

But i have another question - i cannot program side buttons to work with affinity. For example i set it to [ and ] hotkeys to change brush size, or to Ctrl+Z etc. And when i press it in application it just show a pop-up but nothing else (i.e. brush size changes or last action undone) happens. What i'am doing wrong?

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you got any adobe apps on your machine? I tended to find that the Create Control Panel settings defaulted to Adobe hotkeys despite my trying to set shortcust for different apps.
    In the end, I just use the Adobe shortcuts for Affinity / Clip Studio / Blender etc etc.

6. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Fluffyfurball.
    I'd kept a link to your post above, because I was interested in running my X2 in hybrid graphics mode to improve battery life (and reduce how hot the screen feels when using as a tablet).
    I've just come back to it hoping for advice, as I have a problem.

After getting the 3D settings figured out to turn on the Quadro for CAD etc & calibrating the screen, I ran my machine in hybrid mode pretty much without problems for over a year (it makes such a positive difference to battery life), but switched it back to Dreamcolour last autumn to do some colour matching and never got round to turning it off again, till now.

One of the things I never figured out was how to stop the dreamcolour utility loading in the background and switching the colour profile at startup. It wasn't much of an issue, since all I had to do was r-click the desktop and switch the profile to my calibration in display settings after a reboot.

Now, for some reason, my machine has started switching back to the dreamcolour profile every time it wakes from sleep and that's getting pretty annoying, because I don't know about yours, but my screen is really washed out like that.

I did wonder about looking into creating a hotkey to switch it back, but since I've never done that before and it's not the ideal outcome anyway, I thought I'd ask you first.

Did/do you have the same problem and have you found a work-around?

Any advice much appreciated.

7. incredulous

Update:
    I never got around to ringing HP to find out why my X2 wouldn't accept Windows updates (it still installed the security ones), but with the 20H2 and now 21H1 'feature' updates, it finally worked, so I'm now fully up to date (although my battery just started flaking out, which it's much good on a 26 month old computer!

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I did wonder about looking into creating a hotkey to switch it back...>>

@incredulous : If you haven't already done so, check out @lblb 's posts on AutoHotKeys...

<<...my battery just started flaking out, which it's much good on a 26 month old computer!..>>

Assuming that you want to keep your X2 (for now), consider a small to mid-sized external battery. I have run my X2 successfully through the charging port and IIRC I've also powered it through the USB-C port...

As for the DreamColor utility, I've only ever run with the descrete graphics, so I can't help you with that...

9. incredulous

Thanks Steve, I'll check that out as I did once try to create a hotkey to turn touch on and off in device manager with my previous computer (VAIO Flip 15), but never had any joy.

Regarding the battery, I'll see what HP has to say and take it form there, but suspect I'll end up replacing the internal one, as I cycle most of my journeys and the machine fits very nicely on it's own, but the extra weight and bulk of peripherals ruins the experience somewhat!

Running in Hybrid graphics is well worth it for battery life, although if you draw on screen, I particularly appreciate the cooler temps. I assume the Quadro must be in the lower RH of the unit, as that area gets pretty toasty with it running.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Regarding the battery, I'll see what HP has to say...>>

Come back and tell us what they say...