Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No updates issues on my end either. Although I have had update issues before in the past where Windows couldn't for whatever reason install a Windows Update. I had to download the update separately and install it manually. Since then its been fine. However I have been noticing some odd battery discrepancies.

Like on Sunday I used my zBook, charged it to full 100% after use and shut it off (not sleep), and then yesterday when I used it, upon start up it was at 86%. Other times it will be at 95% or 92%. Really no rhyme or reason from what I can tell. I have seen it at 86% or 84%, but never below the 80% thresshold, (unless I forget to charge it)

I'm also pretty much exclusively using my Wacom Mobile Studio Pro's 100W USB-C charger to charge it at home, and the hyperjuce 100W USB-C charger to charge it on the go. I haven't used the proprietary non-usb-c charger in months. I get those annoying notifications to "Use a HP USB-C Charger", but I've always just dismissed them.

2. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

For those who may be interested, I just bought a Zendure Supertank powerbank (it can deliver up to 100W), and it works perfectly with my ZBook.
    It gives another full charge to the battery.
    Be aware that you need a strong wall charger to charge it (with a 60W one, I fully charge the Zendure Supertank in 2 hours).

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Given the Zbook mostly requires a 100w charger anyway, charging the bank shouldn't be too much of a problem for zBook owners. I personally have four 100w USB-C chargers stashed all over the house in part because of the Zbook.

How long does it take to charge the Zbook? and is the time reduced at all when charging while using the Zbook? And does a full Zbook charge, completely drain the supertank out, or is there still like 10 or 20% battery life leftover (for charging a phone)

4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the long answering delay. Too much work at the moment...
    I didn't do many tests.
    I tried to use the zbook plugged only to the Supertank and it took a bit less than 3 hours to go from 100% down to 0%. Then I could work around the same time using the zbook battery.
    Charging the Supertank took around 2 hours with a 60w power supply.
    Then I used it to charge again the zbook while not using it but still powered on. And it took a big hour to have its battery fully charged. The Supertank was at only 3% at the end of the process.
    So, I would say the Supertank gives the same autonomy as the zbook battery.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@qwz : Giving you advice about this is a tough call. The ZBook X2 is now discontinued by HP (as far as I know), but I am confident that HP will continue to support the devices under warranty. As you probably know, the X2 is big and heavy, so it is definitely a different user experience compared to your Z Canvas. Regarding battery life, I think I'm getting somewhere around 3.5 hours, but It's been a while since I've timed that with any accuracy. Interestingly, I have never run my X2 on the integrated graphics for any length of time (just short tests), so I can't say if that results in any significant increase in battery operating time. Like you, I previously used a Z Canvas. The transition to the X2 was pretty easy (accounting for the differences in weight and size) and I actually found the larger screen to be an advantage with apps like CSP and TurboCAD because it gave me extra space for toolbars. Of course, that's a personal thing, YMMV.

It sounds like you're happy with your Z Canvas except for it's battery life; have you thought about getting an external battery to simply boost your operating time? Perhaps that's a simpler solution for you?

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I made a workspace UI post a while back comparing the screen size of various slates to the Z Canvas:

[​IMG]

The ZBX2 is not significantly taller, but is about 2" wider. If you're looking for maximum vertical screen real estate the Surface Book 15" is the class leader.

8. Steve S

<<...What can you say about system performance moving from Canvas to X2?..>>

Performance seemed to be about the same. I think the Z Canvas processor and the X2 processor were about evenly matched but the M620 graphics was noticeably more powerful. Bottom line was that it was mostly a tossup in routine use.

Regarding battery power, I've had good luck using Omnicharge batteries ( Omnicharge.co ). I think I had to buy a separate DC connector, but that wasn't difficult to do...

9. qwz2

qwz2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally, got X2 with i5 but without external GPU, only intel 620. 4K is not Dreamcolor branded but after Spyder4 calibration looks almost as my wife's Zbook 15 Dreamcolor, also appeared to cover 100% AdobeRGB. Factory calibration were awful though - with cyan cast and washed-out whites.
    My Z Canvas showed 98% after calibration and looked almost the same except glare. Funny, my wife's Zbook has significantly worse vertical viewing angle (but visible better gradation due 10bit i suppose).
    Performance is almost the same as with 4770hq. Affinity apps doesn't want to enable OpenCL support (my desktop with amd gpu also has problems with Affinity OpenCL implementation on 1,9 cycle, so i hope it will be fixed).

I have no native stylus and no ability to get it in Russia nowadays. Our shops including HP dealers has plenty of HP ? Active or Tilting pens, i suppose its not an option fort Zbook X2? Am i wrong? Maybe some Wacom branded will be better? Also we have Fujitsu Stylistic pen available - does it support tilt? So far i use my tablet S Pen but it has no tilt support and too thin to hold comfortably.

Attached Files:

10. Steve S

@qwz2 : The X2 is Wacom EMR, so any EMR pen should work (although some pens will show a small offset relative to the cursor). HP active pens are a different technology. The old Stylistic pens (circa ST402x) should work, but it's been years since I owned one and so don't have anything to test.