Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

For those keeping track, I have received a few software updates in recent weeks via both Windows Update and the HP Support Assistant. Notably, there have been Intel updates, an nVidia update and, this evening, a BIOS update (P72, 1.35 => 1.37). All of these updates have installed without issues...

artistebot likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

thanks just came here to check out if anyone else got these notifications. Whats up with theBIOS update? Anywhere stated what it fixes or changes?

3. Steve S

<<...Whats up with theBIOS update?..>>

@stoneseeker : Sorry about this lengthy delay in responding to your post. HP is usually pretty good at posting documentation about changes and updates, but despite searching I was unable to find the changelog for this BIOS (UEFI, really) update. USUALLY, these updates are made to "improve stability," which is just generic language for fixing obscure I/O bugs, start up or shut down problems, etc. As is the case with driver updates, one can follow the rule that you do not need to update unless you are having a problem, but I have generally found it safe to update regardless. It's up to you; if your use of your X2 is mission critical and you're not having any problems, you can wait or ignore the update altogether.

On a related BIOS update issue, I came across an interesting HP forum thread* ( https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...Firmware-update-changelog/m-p/7130246#M259853 ) in which one of the responders advised against using the HP Support Assistant for BIOS updates. The advice was to use another HP utility, the Softpaq Download Manager (SDM) or to do the installation manually. I was surprised to read this because I have always used the SA for BIOS updates and I have never had a problem doing so. However, I put this out there for everyone's information. No question that installing a BIOS update is a critical operation, so if anyone feels safer using SDM or doing it manually, more power to you...!

* Note that I came across this thread because, apparently, a softpaq includes a changelog component.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. Steve S

Ha! Found it! BIOS Update P72 1.37:

Fix and enhancements:

- Fixes an issue where Secure Erase does not execute properly when the display is changed to a non-English language.
    - Fixes an issue where the system does not boot to a network when the system wakes on LAN with the option, boot to network.

@stoneseeker

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

cool, guess I dont need this update, thanks!