Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

For those keeping track, I have received a few software updates in recent weeks via both Windows Update and the HP Support Assistant. Notably, there have been Intel updates, an nVidia update and, this evening, a BIOS update (P72, 1.35 => 1.37). All of these updates have installed without issues...

artistebot likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

thanks just came here to check out if anyone else got these notifications. Whats up with theBIOS update? Anywhere stated what it fixes or changes?

3. Steve S

<<...Whats up with theBIOS update?..>>

@stoneseeker : Sorry about this lengthy delay in responding to your post. HP is usually pretty good at posting documentation about changes and updates, but despite searching I was unable to find the changelog for this BIOS (UEFI, really) update. USUALLY, these updates are made to "improve stability," which is just generic language for fixing obscure I/O bugs, start up or shut down problems, etc. As is the case with driver updates, one can follow the rule that you do not need to update unless you are having a problem, but I have generally found it safe to update regardless. It's up to you; if your use of your X2 is mission critical and you're not having any problems, you can wait or ignore the update altogether.

On a related BIOS update issue, I came across an interesting HP forum thread* ( https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...Firmware-update-changelog/m-p/7130246#M259853 ) in which one of the responders advised against using the HP Support Assistant for BIOS updates. The advice was to use another HP utility, the Softpaq Download Manager (SDM) or to do the installation manually. I was surprised to read this because I have always used the SA for BIOS updates and I have never had a problem doing so. However, I put this out there for everyone's information. No question that installing a BIOS update is a critical operation, so if anyone feels safer using SDM or doing it manually, more power to you...!

* Note that I came across this thread because, apparently, a softpaq includes a changelog component.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. Steve S

Ha! Found it! BIOS Update P72 1.37:

Fix and enhancements:

- Fixes an issue where Secure Erase does not execute properly when the display is changed to a non-English language.
    - Fixes an issue where the system does not boot to a network when the system wakes on LAN with the option, boot to network.

@stoneseeker

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

cool, guess I dont need this update, thanks!

6. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi fellow X2 owners, I've been having some weird niggles with mine recently and wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing the same?

1. Cumulative Windows updates have been failing to install, but now I find an issue with the latest feature update too - see image of the dialog box below.

2. In the last couple of weeks my battery has mysteriously been discharging whilst the device is asleep, resulting in it waking, working for a few minutes, then suddenly hibernating. When I plug it in and reboot, the battery level shows 0%, which should never happen, as the hibernate threshold is set to 6%, so something very fishy is going on.

Any thoughts or similar issues?

2021-01-19 20H2 Feature update failed.jpg

7. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Steve.

I've been meaning to update on this for ages, so sorry about that.
    Thanks so much for your advice, I ended up agonising about what length I really needed a power cable to be, before choosing the Star Tech one you found, and going for the 4 metre version - I'm so glad I did, because almost as soon as it arrived, I took it and my Hyperjuice USB-C charger away for a couple of weeks to stay with my girlfriend, which turned into a several months due to the second & now third Coronavirus lockdowns in the UK.

After using it to work all around the house (as we renovate & decorate), I've come to conclusion that almost all AC power cables for laptops are too short and 4m is just right!

Thanks for your guidance.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, does the device still drain when you put it in hibernate instead of sleep?
    And does the device still drain when you have the keyboard detached?
    You can also check with that HP Support Assistant bloatware app if you have up-to-date drivers and no issues.

9. Steve S

<<...I've been having some weird niggles with mine recently and wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing the same?...1. Cumulative Windows updates...2. ...my battery has mysteriously been discharging whilst the device is asleep..>>

@incredulous : No such issues to report here; I've been routinely installing Windows updates for months without problems; in fact I just installed the February cumulative update just a couple of days ago. With no real insight into how you use or maintain your X2, I can't really offer much except basic advice. First, the particular combination of software apps that you have installed may have something to do with your problems. Can you recall if you installed something about when these problems started? Second, it is sometimes necessary to scrub your existing installation and install a fresh copy. If you've installed and deleted apps, there are sometimes leftover components that eventually can gum up the works. So you might consider that. Third, if possible, you might try to engage your local HP support organization. Z components enjoy special attention IF you can get to the right part of HP support; for the US, there is some information about this further back in this thread.

As for your battery issues, I'm a little pessimistic because it sounds like battery failure. However. I would definitely seek HP's advice about this moving forward. A couple of basic things you can do: 1. Check to ensure that your AC adapter is working properly. Although it's not common, AC adapters have been known to fail. 2. Be sure that the DC connector is firmly and completely inserted when you recharge. Mine has always been quite "stiff" to insert. 3. Check the Task Manager to see if some process has been hogging resources.

<<...Thanks for your guidance...>>

You're welcome! It's always nice to be able to help a fellow traveler...

10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

No update issues here.