Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@stoneseeker : Some comments:
    • To the best of my knowledge, there are no felt nibs for the X2 pen, only hard plastic and a softer (gray-ish) plastic. As you have already discovered, old Wacom nibs do not fit the X2 pen
    • You have two USB-C 3.1 Thunderbolt 3 ports on the X2. You might consider using a USB-C dock. HP offers a dock for the X2, but IIRC, it's somewhat expensive.
      The HP ZBook x2 G4 includes:
      • 1 headphone/microphone combo
      • 1 power connector
      • 1 HDMI 1.4
      • 1 USB 3.0 (charging)
      • 2 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Thunderbolt™ 3 (DisplayPort™ 1.2)
      Thunderbolt™ 3 utilizes the industry standard USB Type-C™ port that brings together data, video, and power
      (15 W maximum for bus powered devices) on the same cable. Up to two (2) streams (8 lanes) of DisplayPort™ 1.2 are
      supported over a single Thunderbolt™ 3 port. With an Intel® certified Thunderbolt™ cable, support up to two 4K displays
      or one 5K display over a single Thunderbolt™ 3 port.
    • Check your warranty, but you may (probably?) have one-day FedEx (DHL?) shipping to and from HP for repairs. HP sends the box, label and a nifty airbag surround for the X2. All you do is seal it up and drop it off or have it picked up. Uber convenient. If you have damage coverage (typically extra), you might be able to get your case replaced. HP returns the unit in pristine condition; I did it three times...
    • I have not seen the track pad issue that you describe (but I use touch a lot... almost exclusively...). However, I seem to recall that there was a keyboard firmware update in late 2018 or maybe early 2019, so you might ask HP about that. To the best of my knowledge, there was only the one keyboard update.

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

On the topic of Nibs, there is a 3rd one, its a white nib and its even softer then the grey nib. This nib came with the Wacom Bamboo Pen for Samsung Devices. So the nibs options are Hard black, soft grey, and softest white. However that pen is kind of hard to find now, and I doubt they ever sold that nib separately so getting that nib might be somewhat impossible. And then the Samsung S-pen Nibs I do believe are also compatible, and those are thinner and sharper. I also have a good feeling you could jury rig, or file down a Mobile Studio Pro/Cintiq Pro nib. Design wise, the Pro Pen 2 nib and the current Tablet PC EMR nibs are virtually identical to the naked eye, but the Mobile Studio Pro nibs are so slightly cut they don't fit.

As far as the Thunderbolt 3 Dock, the last gen (Rectangle) thunderbolt dock can be found cheap off ebay. However the dock requires power, and from my experience the pass thru power doesn't really work well. A normal USB-C hub I think would be better purely for adding more USB ports.

stoneseeker, Steve S and WillAdams like this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

cool, thanks guys. I'll look for a USB 3.0 type-C hub tomorrow!

The S-Pen nibs fit well and I love the little rubberized nib that feels like a bit more grip on the slicker-than-cintiq screen.

4. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably best to just get a USB-C hub.
    These kinda things are pretty slick, they cost a bit but it's everything in one. I'm sure there's cheaper options out there too, these guys have several variations also.
    Running those type of things, you'll be hard pressed to stress out a USB-C port, but depending on your read/write you may want to plug the HDD directly into a spare port.

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So are HP falsely advertising felt nibs for the X2 pen?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05963558

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Steve S

<<...So are HP falsely advertising felt nibs for the X2 pen?..>>

I'm saying that I have two unopened packs of replacement nibs and that none of them are felt. Just black and gray plastic. Perhaps HP intended that the gray ones were supposed to be "felt-like;" I don't know...

7. doobiedoobiedum

I'll take your word for it but I have been using what HP calls "felt nibs" and they feel so much nicer than the black plastic ones.

Much prefer them and would buy again.

8. doobiedoobiedum

So my spare zbook pen with extra nibs arrived... two huge separate boxes, both the same size. HP put the both items in my ONE order into separate A5 jiffy packs which they then put into separate large A4 boxes (see picture) which the online store then put into SEPARATE large A3 jiffy packs...

Shaking my head...

Attached Files:

Steve S likes this.
  9. Steve S

<<...Shaking my head...>>

If they arrived safely... don't complain! ;)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  10. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

The refill of wacom propen2 can be used on the zbook x2 pen, but you need to use a grinder to polish the end of the refill a little bit, because it has a larger diameter, which is what I use.