Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I usually install what is recommended by the HP Support app. Never had a problem with any update.

So, the screen is great, no?
    It makes me smile every day!

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I usually install what is recommended by the HP Support app...>>

@ticol is right; I run Windows Update and the HP Support Assistant (in the System Tray, look for a small blue circle with a ? in the middle) every week or so and install the recommended updates. Every now and again, something will not install, so I skip or delete them and move on. So far, nothing I've ever installed has caused a problem...

PS: Three new Intel updates this morning...

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

thanks guys, and yes it's SUCH a nice screen! Pretty amazing bit of kit.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When mine first arrived from the US I tried to be clever and wipe what I thought was bloatware - set me back weeks and other things wouldn't run properly so I simply went for a standard install. Everything has been fine apart from a strange Windows 10 update 2009 which made the zbook screech like a banshee before it reset itself. I just let it download and run all updates now.

This...

It's such a crying shame HP might never update this thing. The build quality is fabulous and the size is almost perfect but one day I will need to replace mine. (Long way away hopefully)

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours - always amazes me that you can pick them up for $800 - $900 at Xmas.

5. stoneseeker

nibs... I see the pen holder has 3 tiny slots on the flap that look like they may have housed 3 spare nibs, is this true? It just came with 3? are they all the same shiny black plastic nibs (thats whats in my pen now)
    Mine are empty, and judging by the abuse this unit went through by its previous owner, (it has many cracks, dings and scuffs on the body and pen, thankfully not the screen though) I assume they went through them all.

So, are other pen nibs from other Wacom EMR pens compatible with this one or are they HP specific?

Also, Doobie, what do you mean $800-$900 at Christmas?? Was there a fire sale last Christmas on these in the States or something?

6. doobiedoobiedum

I was surfing this thread early on in 2018 dreaming how I couldn't afford this machine when someone who had bought one full price mentioned that BHPhotovideo was having a sale starting November 2018, that became a fire sale for Xmas so I bought mine in a BHPhotovideo fire sale from their USA website early Xmas 2018 for $850 and I got them to upgrade the RAM to 16GB so it cost me $925 in total.

I couldn't believe how cheap the labour to upgrade the RAM was - they even sent the original 8GB RAM they took out - all for $925.(£750)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1443113-REG/hp_14_zbook_x2_g4.html/reviews

Same model in the UK would have cost me £3500 ($4770 in the USA) and I was lucky an old friend was coming over to visit her family so she brought it over for me. I had actually worked out that I could fly to the US, stay in a good hotel and pick it up far cheaper than if I bought the same thing in the UK.

I noticed in Xmas 2019 Xmas the BHPhotovideo prices again just fell through the floor - they stopped selling the x2 g4 and now only have the other HP models.

Anyhow - can't believe your previous owner beat the crap out of such a sturdy machine - mine still looks like new but when they originally are shipped - mine came very much like this in the pic - except for the protective case (I never bought that)

[​IMG]

They all ship with extra nibs and there would have been felt nibs in the original purchase. I have never seen the zbook at similar prices anywhere else except previously owned on Ebay.

Marty likes this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

8. stoneseeker

Thanks, but do you or anyone else know if any other nibs are compatible? they look unique with the skinny to fat tip, but i feel like I have seen that before, I just can't remember which pen it was. I have so many nibs from so many pens around here I would love to find out if any are compatible. I could look at them and check it out, but if there is any source anyone can find for purchasing that nib set in Canada, I would be obliged! I would much prefer a felt nib or even just a fresh unused regular nib.
    Actually, if anyone here doesn't forsee needing all the nibs and won't mind parting with 1-3 of their spare nibs for this pen, I would be happy to buy them!

Also, I took the whole day toi make a sweet leather protective sleeve for this to go in when I toss it in my bag. I'll share once i can snap some pics of it in the light of day tomorrow.

**writing this on the ZBook X2 keyboard, and dang its such a dream to write on!

9. doobiedoobiedum

I have researched for a few weeks after buying a cheaper Wacom One pen but the HP zbook stylus is the only one that comes with felt nibs. It's nice to use a cheaper stylus just in case the HP one breaks but I like felt nibs.

So I ordered a set and I also bought a 2nd HP stylus yesterday from the insight page I linked above - if you can't get anything from a US / Canada contact let me know and I'll buy you a nib set here and post them to you.

You'll probably pay less in the US - my nibs purchase worked out at $22CAD.? (including postage)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    stoneseeker likes this.
  10. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Thought I would try and be helpful and did a quick search and found these in Canada. $27.99CAD (so pricier than the UK), and would imagine there’s shipping on top of that. Haven’t ordered from that site before, but they look legit. They seem to be out of stock/discontinued most places.

https://m.cdw.ca/product/hp-zbook-x2-pen-nib-set-bundle/5445945

stoneseeker and doobiedoobiedum like this.