Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks @Steve S, I understand what you're saying, although since Thunderbolt 3 is designed to support 5A @ 20v through the connector, bulking up the conductor in the cable surely isn't that big of a deal (phase coherence issues aside)?
    If this is to be the universal charging & data plug & port standard it's touted to be, somebody really needs to figure out how to make longer versions than the awkwardly short stuff currently available!

I've read suggestions in the sustainability sphere that usb-c will potentially be used to power/charge products in all sort of other categories, such as cordless power tool charging. The benefits for reducing waste/obsolescence and standardising components for repair is obvious, but usability could suffer without longer leads.

Anyhow, thanks for having a look around, I even contacted Hyper support, as it shows some long cables being used in one of the videos on the IndieGoGo site, but they were no help at all..

2. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh heck, I usually try to steer clear of Amazon on principle, but in this case, it looks as though Bezos's empire might be unavoidable!

Considering the ICs involved in the PD protocol, would you have any misgivings about charging your $3000 laptop with an unknown brand's cable? I know I shouldn't use price as a measure of quality, but the best I'd found to date was this, which is £25: https://www.nativeunion.com/collections/shop-all-products/products/belt-cable-pro-usb-c-to-usb-c

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...would you have any misgivings about charging your $3000 laptop with an unknown brand's cable?..>>

@incredulous : As a generality, I try to do my homework when I'm shopping for most things and over the years, I've developed a set of go-to brands when I'm looking for specific items. Having said that, however, cables (of all types) are a little like the Wild West; there are many, many brands and quality is sometimes not very well connected to price. So, to explicitly answer your question, I have used "unknown" cable brands in the past, and I'm likely to do so in the future. Of course, if the cable shows any signs of shoddy construction or behavior, it ends up in the tech closet or the Good Will donation forthwith.

<<...the best I'd found to date was this...>>

Looks perfectly OK to me, and better than the unknown cable that I recommended a couple of posts back. I particularly like the fact that they explicitly state that it's 100W capable and also give a few details. That's normally a good sign that their quality is also adequate. The sexy leather strap is another plus!

As an alternative, I typically look at StarTech when I'm looking for a non-typical cable. I found this:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cabl...er_cablelength=4000&filter_powerdelivery=100w

It's USB-2.0, but it's 4m long. Not sure how the price will translate to where you live, but if you're primarily interested in using this as a charging cable, it's another option and it's the longest one I've found to date (and it's not Amazon!).

Good luck with whatever you decide...

4. Steve S

@stoneseeker : I gave your battery question a little more thought overnight and in retrospect I realized that I forgot to say something. You should be looking for a battery that has a direct DC out port that supplies 19V or 20V. The reason is that this provide the most direct charging option with the least claptrap (i.e., having to carry your charger as well as the battery).

In a perfect world of global pricing, I would recommend this battery: https://www.omnicharge.co/products/omni-mobile-25600/ . It's a bit larger capacity than the one that you were asking about and it has a DC port that can be set to one of four output voltages in addition to 40W USB-C and two USB-A ports. It also has wireless charging. It does not have an AC port. The US pricing is similar to the other battery. There is a DC cable and DC connector set, available separately (sadly, a few more $$). I own this battery and can tell you that it will work with the X2, but it can only provide about half the wattage (45W vs. 90W), so better for recharging off line (i.e., when you're taking a break). The tradeoff here is that this battery allows you to travel lighter, but it can't match the power draw when the X2 is running full bore. Your other candidate battery looks like it can provide one hour of full charging, but you have to carry your AC adapter, too.

Selecting a suitable battery can be a real pain...!

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks Steve, for now I think I will see how the X2 performs for my uses without one, and if I feel I need to get one for longer times away from the outlet I'll have a look at your recommendations more seriously!

6. Steve S

<<...for now I think I will see how the X2 performs for my uses without one...>>

I agree that's the smart thing to do...

7. stoneseeker

darkmagistric likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

OK update, So I saw that Windows 10 has a nifty Reset feature that essentially wipes the installation, reinstalls along with all the manufacturer stuff, so thats what I did. From what I can tell, it guarantees that there is nothing sketchy remaining on the PC, and I should get a new Windows 10 experience similar to what I would get if I had bought this new from HP.

So now my question to the ZBook herd, any specific drivers or updates that Hp has released since launch that I need to consider tracking down for this thing? Important firmware or driver updates that dont automatically install??

9. stoneseeker

BIOS update. Do I do it?? HP Support tray is recommending the newest BIOS update from HP, called HP Notebook System BIOS update (P72) version 1.35

Did y'all do it? Anything it breaks etc? I'm alwasy hesitant about these BIOS updates when all too often in the past they have broken the machines outright (I'm looking at you Vaio Duo 13)

EDIT ** I did it. So far so good. Scary though!

EDIT AGAIN lol** I just sawa pop up that states that my warranty is good until 2022! wooot with onsite service too, pretty dope inclusion that I totally forgot to ask about.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    darkmagistric and WillAdams like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that I can recall, the Windows updates should take care of most everything. Around last March I did have an issue where my Zbook wouldn't install a Windows update, and I had to manually download and install it. But that only happened once and was likely an isolated instance.

Also, watch out for One drive....I explicitly didn't set that up, yet somehow it still got enabled and made a mess of my files.