Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

You're right. Once touch is an habit in the workflow, it's hard to lack it. Everything's going so fast once you're used to zoom, pan and rotate with your fingers.
    I'd really like to try the Wacom 24 Pro Touch to see how I feel on it.

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's pretty close to how I got mine Xmas 2018, I got a sweet deal in the US but had to wait 2 months for my friend to come over from the US to visit her family. Pricing in the UK is still stupidly high from the HP store - the equivalent of $4,150.

Only recommendation I would give you is to get into BIOS and change the battery settings that HP recommend (80% maximum charge) and you'll make battery life last longer.

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...get into BIOS and change the battery settings that HP recommend (80% maximum charge) and you'll make battery life last longer...>>

+1

4. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

A recommendation please, from anyone who's found a really good, and long 100W USB-C / Thunderbolt charging cable for their X2.

I believe it was @Steve S who put me onto the diminutive Hyperjuice 100W USB-C charger, which is excellent, but I've struggled to find a cable that really matches up.
    https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperjuice-100w-usb-c-gan-charger

Obviously it needs to support 100 Watts, which still isn't that commonplace, but the big issue is getting something of a useful length.

Most laptop power leads I've measured are around 2.5 m long, with the old magsafe Macbook Pro one being 3.6m!

I think 3m would be ideal, as the plug comes straight out of the charger and likewise at the computer, so it's not as robust as the traditional power brick & extra length would help reduce the risk of damage from straining to reach a socket.
    Something that supports a decent data speed would be cool too, as taking power off a dock, or even a large external display is a possibility.

Any ideas welcome.

5. Steve S

<<...I've struggled to find a cable that really matches up...>>

@incredulous : Not saying that such a cable doesn't exist, but there are practical reasons why such a cable might not be readily available. It's not at all uncommon for cable legths to be limited for various technical reasons (e.g., phase coherence tolerances). 20 V x 5 A is a lot of power, and the typical USB cable contains wires that are very thin gauge (with relatively high resistance per unit length). I2R heating in such a cable could be a problem.

I'll look around. If I see anything , I'll let you know...

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Would this one work?? https://www.amazon.ca/Mophie-powerstation-AC-External-Smartphones/dp/B078GYSBVR

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks! So you mean changing 80% maximum to 100% max, right?
    Has anyone had any luck overclocking the CPU on this thing? The i7-8650U is listed as having max configurable TDP of 25W, did HP lock this thing down, or has anyone successfully messed with the TDP, clock speed or voltage?

EDIT** found a decent write up of someone who tried to squeeze performance out of the same CPU in the Surface Book 2 https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/7kbqhj/surface_book_2_135_i78650u_analysis_throttling/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  8. Steve S

9. Steve S

<<...Would this one work?..>>

Hmmm... @stoneseeker : Technically, yes, but with reservations. The X2 AC adapter is rated at 19.5V at 4.62A output, 90W max. The battery is rated at 22,000mAh which suggests that it's about an 80-90 Wh unit (22A x 3.7 to 4.1V for a typical Li Ion battery chemistry). The 30W USB-C PD rating is kind of weak for charging a laptop. If the X2 AC adapter was plugged into the battery's AC* outlet, it should provide about an hour's worth of full power charging (so maybe doubles the X2's battery operating life). If you use the 30W PD output, I think it would charge the X2, but the charging would be slow and take more time. I would suggest surveying a few more choices, though. Mophie has been in the market for a long time and I believe they have a good reputation, but you might want to consider a slightly larger battery capacity to account for losses and age-related battery capacity reductions...

* There's also an issue of true sine wave AC output versus modified sine wave output. This battery uses a modified sine wave output, which is "noisier" than a true sine wave output (i.e., same as your wall outlet). Sometimes, this extra noise can be a problem, but probably not in this circumstance. These things can be painfully technical...!

<<...So you mean changing 80% maximum to 100% max, right?..>>

He means that the the battery charge is limited to 80% of full charge. Keeping a battery constantly charged to 100% will cause the battery to deteriorate faster than if it is held at 80%. Interesting, Microsoft Surface devices are limited to 50% charge (on devices that offer the option)...

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry I wasn't clear - you want to go the other way, don't charge up to 100% and you will extend the battery life of your machine.

I've never found the need to do this, maybe someone else has but I only use my zbook for art.

Emails / Xbox games / videos etc etc are all done on my Macbook or my desktop.