Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...As long as it is able to consistently reach turbo while painting I'll be happy...>>

IIRC, the X2 will only shift to turbo if it is plugged in. On battery, it self-limits to 1.9 GHz...

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

whaaaaat that is slow. Thankfully I'll be plugged in most of the time anyway, but man that means that my ancient T902 operates faster on battery than this thing?? At least from a raw speed perspective.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had a conversation (disagreement) with Shogmaster recently about my zbook vs my 2013 4GB Macbook. I don't see an amazing speed difference with huge files of my 16 GB RAM workstation over a 7 year old Macbook.
    That said, I've not been able to choke my zbook with huge psd files or video either - whether plugged in or not. It's a very capable machine for a wide range of 2D and video Art - it's 3D modelling where it slows.
    haven't gone to .PSB yet though - I don't really need to work on that kind of scale.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

Hey everyone, one last question, how do I know which models are Dreamcolor versions?? All I know is that it has the i7 8650U, 32 gigs RAM and 1 TB SSD... anyway to know dreamcolor, and is there a noticeable difference?

**EDIT** He said it was dreamcolor, so I guess I got to trust he's right. He was honest about everything else.
    That said, I'm the proud owner of a HP ZBook X2 now! I wont have the tablet in my hands until next week (my buddy picked it up in the city and is shipping it to me), but I plan on testing it a bunch and tossing everything at it for a day or two of work here to make sure it works ok before I take it on our trip to do the renovations at our new home. Feels like a steal honestly to pay $1200 for a machine with these specs when its so expensive to buy in Canada to begin with. Especially when the only other viable EMR option is $5000 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  5. Steve S

<<...how do I know which models are Dreamcolor versions...>>

@stoneseeker : If you look in the System Tray, a DreamColor X2 will have the DreamColor app installed (looks like a tiny multicolor swirl). Note that you will likely have to expand the System Tray to find it.

The DreamColor app will not install on a non-DC X2, so it can't be faked...

stoneseeker and darkmagistric like this.
  6. Steve S

@stoneseeker : I guess a welcome to our hearty little band is in order. Although you were active earlier in this discussion thread, here's a reminder of some potentially useful posts from about two years ago!
    • Post # 544: Pen part number at HP
    • Post # 729 & 731: URLs for HP technical documents on the ZBook X2
    • Post # 760: Technical details of the drives available for the X2 at the time (circa Oct 2018)
    • Post # 776: How some owners enhanced their Express Keys
    • The DreamColor icon that should be in the System Tray:
    DC Icon.png

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

Thanks Steve! Excited to get my hands on it and try some drawing on a 4K screen! The dim and inaccurate colors of my Cintiq 22HD are going to pale next to this.

Follow up questions, any cool accessories availabel for these? I only saw one HP made protective case (even sold by Walmart online, which is super weird), but any must have accessories (either official or not) that you guys recommend? I think that I wont be needing to dock, as I have a desktop PC already, but any suggestions would be great. I might try and make a leather sleeve for it if I have time before the big move.

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Coming from the 22HD you'll be impressed by the quality of what you'll see on your screen. I can't use my 21UX anymore now. I need to zoom too much to have something really sharp.
    You'll have to play a bit with the scale you use for your menus : too big and you feel the screen is too small, too little and it's very difficult to read.
    I put it at 225% on mine. It's a bit small but with the 4K resolution, I don't struggle to read the menus.

And if you don't like the pen you can use :
    - the Wacom One pen
    - the Lamy pen
    They are cheap and work the same except they don't have the same shape.

Regarding the case. The Zbook feels very very robust when the keyboard is closed. I am not afraid to put it without more protection in my back bag.

9. Steve S

<<...any cool accessories availabel for these?..>>

Ordinarily, I would recommend getting a spare pen, but guess what? My original X2 pen has proven itself to be quite durable and so I have yet to need my spare pen; it just sits on the bench waiting for me to send it into the game!

I also don't use a screen protector; the X2's matte-finish screen is good as is (and an SP would spoil the good pen feel).

Interestingly, I bought the HP protective case, which at the time was on clearance (not from Walmart, however). I've never used it, primarily because I only move my X2 when I really need to, which isn't often. I think it's also because I don't want to bulk up the form factor; the X2 is already a substantial tablet! A protective sleeve might be a good idea, though. I wouldn't just put my X2 in a backpack without some kind of protection...

About the only accessory that I might recommend to you would be a suitable external battery. I happen to be a fan of the Omnicharge products and I use the Omnicharge Ultimate, but it's expensive and I can understand why that might not appeal to you. Omnicharge makes another battery, the 20+ that should also work and, of course, there are a plethora of other reliable brands that are less expensive. Just be sure to get one that features a DC output voltage of 19 to 20 V and a cord with interchangeable connector tips. Alternatively, I think I once tried to charge through the X2's USB-C port, and it worked, so that might be another option...

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm more or less in that same boat. I also own a 21ux that I decided to retire. The lack of multi-touch was more my gripe, but the colors/resolution of the 21ux just pales before modern devices like the Zbook, Surface Pro, or iPad Pro.