Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't try to keep the keyboard closer to the Zbook. I'll try. Thanks.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really never use the keyboard when drawing, but I know thats how HP advertised the zBook. Aside from having the Express Keys, the bluetooth functionality of the keyboard was in part intended to be used side by side for artists who find express keys insufficient. So it would seem a little odd there is no way to alter the sleep parameters. it might very well be a proximity issue. But odd though that the hitting the Shift or Ctrl keys doesn't wake it up, not sure why they would set the wake up parameters specifically to letter keys instead of just having any key pressed to wake.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Been drawing for an hour - pressed a key and it typed straight away. My Keyboard is right next to the screen. Control / shift / letter key all wake and respond immediately.

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

On my side, sometimes it wakes up immediately, sometimes not.
    What doesn't work at all is when I draw during a long time without using the keyboard (usually the express keys give me what I need as shortcuts), then I close clip studio, and I like to do a backup save on a USB stick. I open the explorer and if I want to select multiple files by pressing shift or control, nothing happens. I really need to type some text in Chrome or any program where I can type, and it wakes up the keyboard. The other trick is to attach the keyboard to the zbook.
    I still could use the express keys I assigned to shift or control.
    It's not a big problem, but I don't understand it.
    Usually my keyboard sits at maybe 50 centimeters of the Zbook. At an arm distance.

5. darkmagistric

So, small issue with my Zbook

For the past few months I've been using a 100w USB-C charger that came with my Mobile Studio Pro to charge my Zbook at home. (I prefer to keep its own AC/Adapter in the travel bag, and keep the Wacom one at home.) Aside from the little pop up from HP saying to use an HP USB-C charger, its been mostly not an issue.

However I recently purchased a Hyperjuice Wall Charger. Its a nifty little charger with 2 type C-ports and 2 type A ports. Its main benefit is that it supplies 100w of power, making it a suitable secondary USB-C charger for both my Zbook and Mobile Studio Pro. And it charges both of them no problem. But I had to get a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to USB-C cable that could send the 100w. I also tried a 65w USB-C charging cable, and while its lists it as connected, it doesn't actually charge the zBook (or if it does, just super slow)

The problem I'm encountering is that when I use the Hyperjuice/T3 cable to charge my zBook.....there is this annoying high pitched whistling sound......but its coming from the Zbook, not the charger. When I use the Wacom USB-C charger, it does not make that sound.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with USB-C charging? The charger itself isn't Thunderbolt, just 100W USB-C, could it be using a Thunderbolt cable is somehow causing this, or is it more likely the charger itself?

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

My X1 Yoga 3 made a scary coil whine like sound when being charged through the thunderbolt dock. In that case a firmware update fixed things. So maybe see if there's a firmware update?

7. darkmagistric

Just checked every driver, device, and windows update, everythings good on that front.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The problem I'm encountering is...there is this annoying high pitched whistling sound...but its coming from the Zbook...>>

@JoeS is correct; it's "coil whine." As to why, it may be that your new Hyperjuice charger has a modulated output (e.g. PMW) or has harmonic artifacts riding on top of the output. If you have access to a scope, you could check the DC output...

9. darkmagistric

Solved the issue today. It was the Thunderbolt 3 cable I was using. My local Best Buys just reopened for in-door shopping, so I bought a new USB-C cable, not thunderbolt 3, but capable of passing 100w. (the cable is also much longer). I thought I heard the faint coil whine at first, but it went away almost right away. I've been using it all night and its been silent ever since.

JoeS likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I bought a new USB-C cable...>>

USB-C can be so weird...!!!

darkmagistric likes this.