Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did look up the docks manual....however it doesn't seem to really specify that oddly. Its also doesn't give many details on the weird 2 in 1 cable that comes with it. There is a cable that is USB-C T3 on one end, and the other end has a USB-C T3 and a Power plug on the end. Now that end plugs into the dock no problem, and the manual seems to indicate it could be used either side, so I figured maybe I had to plug that end into the Zbook....but despite it looking like it would fit....the combo USB-C/Power side does not fit into my zbook. The ports line up...but it won't go fully in, and I don't want risk forcing it and breaking both ports.

However, I have been successful in getting the zBook to push all 3 monitors. Despite the zbook having two Thunderbolt 3 Ports, I'm assuming there is bus limitation, so I can't get the 3rd monitor to run from the second Thunderbolt Port. However, plugging that 3rd monitor in the Zbooks HDMI Port seems to do the trick. So I have the one monitor plugged into the HDMI, and the other 2 Monitors plugged into both Full sized Display Ports on the Dock and daisy chained thru one of the zBooks Thunderbolt ports. Its kind of a rat king of wires and cables everywhere at the moment.....But Success!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...But Success!..>>

Congratulations! Don't know if it's relevant in this case, but every multi-monitor implementation that I know of (but on other brands of tablets) uses a similar set of connections; two off a dock and one off the tablet...

darkmagistric likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just had a wet dream where HP relaunched ZBook X2 with Ryzen 7 4700u... :(

4. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

I'm pretty upset with HP right now. The screen on my ZBook X2 is completely going to hell with massive light bleeding and mysterious white blobs appearing, and of course my PC is like 1.5 months out of warranty (I bought it April 2019). HP has now ended chats with me TWICE online discussing this issue, and the reps won't respond to email. I know everyone will say I should have gotten the extended warranty, but this clearly seems like a defect that I should not be responsible for fixing.

Has anyone else had this happen to their screen? I have the DreamColor version, BTW.

HP Screen Issue1rev.jpg

HP Screen Issue2rev.jpg

Marty likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone else had this happen to their screen?..>>

@Illustrator76 : Sorry to hear about this. I am not seeing any white blobs, but then I bought the 3 years of warranty so of course that wouldn't be happening to me!

However, depending upon your sensitivity, I guess I could say that my X2 has, and has always had, noticeable light bleed along the screen bottom edge. To me, it's only noticeable on the boot (HP SureStart) screen. Once the desktop opens, I no longer notice it.

Interestingly, I could have made the same comment about the high chroma screen on my VAIO Z Canvas. Earlier in this thread, some of us were wondering if higher light bleed was a characteristic of screens with Adobe RGB capability...?!??

Illustrator76 likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Illustrator76

I have the 8th gen Dream Color Display, and I have not encountered this problem. (not yet anyway). But I bought mine refurbed off Amazon back in October.....it was a gamble but I didn't get an extended warranty either. There was a 3rd party option to do so, but it looked kind of fishy, so I didn't bother.

Warranty's are somewhat of a weird thing. I had the Cintiq Companion 2, no extended warranty option and my screen craped out like a month after its normal warranty expired. I then got a Mobile Studio Pro, again no extended warranty (it was only possible via financing)....and that Mobile Studio Pro has been issue free for 3+ years now. I also had at one point the Surface Pro 3, no warranty and almost right away smashed the screen by accident. I Was able to get Surface Protection plan past the time frame that is normally allowed (the physical store staff has a little flex with some rules) , and ended up with two Surface Pro 3s.....one of which, the screen got smashed again and I used the protection plan to replace. The other Pro 3 suddenly had its SSD die.

Then when I traded up to the Surface Pro 5....I got that damn 2 year warranty......and 2 years later not a single issue, or calamity.

Sometimes electronics just crap out, its a sad fact of the reality of tech. Like my mantra at this point, if it craps out and extended warrenty isn't an option, I'm just gonna accept the loss.

by chance though, in your Chats with HP, did they give you any recourse or option to pay to have a repair done?

Illustrator76 likes this.
  7. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

They basically said send it in, but it's billable and didn't tell me even remotely how long it would take or how much it would be.

8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

My Zbook x2 has slight light bleed (only visible in a dark room) on bottom corners and no other screen issues. I bought it right after the 8th gen had been launched.

9. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.
    I have one thing that bothers me sometime on the Zbook.
    When I draw, I detach the keyboard. And, sometimes, when I want to use it, it doesn't work immediately. I have to press keys a certain time before it "wakes up".
    And if I just want to use keys as shift or control it doesn't work at all. I have to type some text in the Chrome search bar to awaken the keyboard. Then I can use Shift or Ctrl.
    It's like the keyboard enters in a sort of sleep mode when I don't use it during a long drawing session and struggles to awaken.
    I didn't have this kind of behavior with my bluetooth keyboard linked to my Companion. It was always ready to go.
    Is there some kind of setting to change in the parameters?
    Does anybody here had the same issue?

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have to confess I have gotten so used to this I thought it was standard. It was worse if I put the keyboard more than 3 feet away or on the floor next to me at the desk but if I have the keyboard right next to the screen it doesn't have that issue.

Could be it's designed to go to sleep if the signal is from too far away? If your keyboard goes to sleep when it's right next to the screen then it is an issue.