Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you remember who posted the instructions or the post number? Sorry - 100+ pages is a huge amount to plough through otherwise!

Hadn't thought about the Wacom One pen... it's £24 from one UK supplier which is way cheaper than the zBook pen at £80+
    I'm also looking at whether to buy a spare battery for sometime in the future...

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the design of the current dock is.....def unusual to say the least. The older.....rectangular dock is far more to my liking since it looks like it would be relatively easy to stow in a laptop bag along with the Zbook. The newer docks design....seems like it would be somewhat awkward to stow away of needed to be.

As far as the monitor pushing.....the Zbook's documentation say's it should be possible. And I'd rather get the older...slimmer T3 dock then the newer fat square. The older one is also cheaper to obtain by ebay. But in searching for answers if the older T3 dock would work....couldn't find anything definitive in regards to the Zbook x2......but other zbook models and products....there seems to be some internet clatter that with other products in the zBook line....only some docks would work. zbook monitor support.JPG

3. doobiedoobiedum

OK - managed to find an online link and have changed my battery in BIOS.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06465959

What I found though was F10 doesn't work - that just seemed to bypass the face recognition for logging in.

With the zBook on - hold SHIFT down and restart the computer. This allow you to go to BIOS settings but first Select UEFI Firmware Settings and work your way in from there.

Basically you need to choose extend Battery health - this limits the charging to 80% maximum.

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice !
    I didn't remember where in the forum I read it.

And regarding the pens I'll make some tries soon. I'd like to find one for my galaxy book as I find the Samsung s pen tiring when drawing a long time. So I'll have a spare pen and another pen for the galaxy book.
    I just don't want to make scratches on the Zbook screen. Hp couldn't tell me if scratches due to the pen are covered by the warranty. I guess the etched screen is solid and is designed not to be damaged by the nibs.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...there seems to be some internet clatter that with other products in the zBook line....only some docks would work...>>

In your case, I think you can assume that either of the HP docks will work with your X2...

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm cautious with that as well....the Zbooks pen uses the older more rounded nibs (99% the same as the mobile studio nibs) ....however the Samsung S-pen devices use the super thin toothpick nibs.....I bought the Zbook pen long before I had a Zbook, to use it with the Galaxy Book 10.6 because I disliked the toothpick nibs so much....(eventually I got used to them) but given the Zbooks screen coating....I too would be very worried of scratching it up with those toothpicks.

7. doobiedoobiedum

I wasn't looking forward to sifting through 110 pages - anyhow, I'm ordering the Wacom One's pen - I highly doubt Wacom (I know I knock them as often as I can) would make nibs that scratch screens - the technology will be the same as in the Lamy but more importantly - Wacom replacement nibs will be around a long time. They are also more likely to have a range of nibs for the pen - and it's damned cheap too compared to the Lamy and HP stylus.

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I totally agree with you.
    And I've read somewhere in this thread that Lamy's nibs are the same size as Wacom.
    And I highly suspect they're OK for all the s pens as on the Wacom site they're sold as specific for the Wacom One pen.
    I compared the Hp nibs and Samsung nibs and they are sized exactly the same except regarding the tip diameter.

9. doobiedoobiedum

The deciding factors:

Price: Wacom One Pen - £24 vs Lamy AL-all star black - £35
    Tilt: Wacom One supports tilt vs Lamy - no mention anywhere of tilt support.

On this Lamy page - among a long list of computers and tablets it supports - HP zBook x2 G4 and Wacom One tablet.

10. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I spent the day on illustrations with very thin and precise inking. And I am totally in love with the ZBook. The 4K resolution coupled with the high precision of the pen is so good.

I thought full HD was enough for this size of screen, but the difference when working on small details is incredible. I zoom way less to get my inking right.
    I just spent 30 minutes really worried, trying to figure out why all my whites on CLip Studio were grey. Then I realised I didn't mask my shadow layer... :D

And from I read here, Lamy pen supports tilt too :

WillAdams likes this.