Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I couldn't resist and bought one.

It's a bit heavier than my (sadly broken) HP Zbook X2 pen, and a bit top-heavy if the cap is in place, and no eraser of course, and it has the triangular section of other Lamy Al-pens which is quite a bit narrower than the wider section of the HP (which I like).

I couldn't quit bring myself to swap it out for my Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus for day-to-day usage at home, but it's sturdy enough to rate daily carry in my bag as my pen when traveling.

2. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

OK. Thanks.
    I'll get one in the future. I never use the eraser. I prefer to change tool instead of turning my pen. So I can live without it. I just want to get used well to the hp pen before. For now I'm on the basic nib. I have to try the felt nibs.
    I'm just worried about scratching the screen. I had to change two times the screen protector on my companion because of that. And as the Zbook has no one I will be careful

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP Create Control Panel question - I want to set one of the keys or radial menu to a "delete" or "cut" function in illustrator or any other App - I may be blind here but I can't work out how to do this? Everything else is working as I want it in the shortcuts.

Do either have the same accuracy as the HP stylus and compatability with the HP Zbook X2 G4? I don't mind the heavier weight - that's one thing I like least about the HP Zbook X2 G4...

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

It's quite simple to do. In the HP Create Control Panel, you choose The Radial Menu Item (near HP Quick Keys), then you create a new one ("+" at the bottom) then you can assign the 8 parts of the Radial Menu to what you want. If you want shorcuts as Copy, Cut, Paste, you have to select "Keyboard" then "Keys" (I think, I have the french version so I'm not sure about how it is in the english version). Then if there's already something in the frame you click on "Suppress" (middle button), then everything you type on your keyboard will be recorded (when I mean everything it's really everything, even delete or Suppr. So if you make a mistake click on the Suppr button).
    Then you can type Ctrl X or Ctrl C or Ctrl V for example, and write the corresponding name in the bottom frame "Cut" "Copy" "Paste". It is what will be written in the corresponding quarter of the radial menu.
    Once you're done, you go back to the HPQuickKeys and affect one of the quickkeys to this new radial menu.

doobiedoobiedum and Steve S like this.
  5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in total delight with this Zbook !!
    I didn't imagine the 4K resolution would make such a difference on a small screen. But it's wonderful. Everything is so sharp.
    I drew many things since thurday and I'm comfortable with the small quick keys. I didn't try yet to work on battery only during a long time. But from what I've seen it shouldn't be worse than the Galaxy Book. Around 4 hours I guesss.
    It's really a great machine. I just need to get more used to the feeling of the screen and the pen. It's a bit more slippy than the Companion. But less than the Galaxy Book.
    And still, absolutely no palm rejection issues noted in Clip Studio.

Regarding the replacement pens as the HP is very difficult to find, I saw the Lamy and I think the Wacom One pen could be a good pen too. And it's very cheap. And so as Wacom is supplying spare nibs for this pen, specifying they're designed for this pen and not the Prop pens, I guess they're the same shape as the other s pen. This could a be a good supply source to get new large nibs for the HP Pen or other S Pens.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Around 4 hours I guesss…>>

I think I'm seeing 3.5 to 4 hours after over two years of use... (Note that is from 100% charge. I have the battery limiter activated so that I only charge to 80%...)

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Question to fellow Zbook Users....its my understanding that the while the Zbook(with dreamcolor) on its own can push 2 external monitors, (in addition to its own screen).... if you get a Thunderbolt 3 Dock.....it can push a 3rd monitor. HP offers....two different thunderbolt 3 docks.......one that's a slim rectangle shape.....(I think this is an older dock) and then they have what I'm presuming is the newer dock....thats more of a fat/square shape. Would either dock work for the Zbook in the regard of pushing a 3rd monitor? And would other non thunderbolt 3 docks work as well....or does HP have that locked to their own products? Never really ever invested in a dock before.......and I can't seem to find concrete information on this.

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Your comment reminds me of this 80% thing. I have to do this too. From what I remember it's in the Bios that it's doable.
    But the battery life will be very short

9. Steve S

<<...I can't seem to find concrete information on this...>>

@darkmagistric : I don't have any first-person experience with docks (never needed one) but here's what I (think I) know:
    • I believe you are correct that the "fat / square" cube is HP's current design. When it was introduced a while back, I remember being puzzled about its shape because most all docks aren't that shape...!
    • I can't speak to whether that dock would allow the X2 to push a third external monitor.
    • Based on my non-dock experiences with the X2's Thunderbolt ports, I've seen no evidence that HP has "locked down" their ports so that they will only work with HP stuff.
    • If you remember a while back, several X2 technical documents were mentioned in this forum. Some of the information was quite detailed. You might look up those documents to see what they say about the port...
    Not definitive, I know. But good luck...

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. Steve S

<<...From what I remember it's in the Bios that it's doable...>>

@ticol : Your memory is correct; the setting is in the BIOS. The details were spelled out a few months ago in this forum...

<<...But the battery life will be very short...>>

The battery operating life will be shorter, yes, but if you intend to have your X2 plugged in most of the time, then this is an important step to preserve the battery's long-term health and capacity.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.