Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Received an nVidia update this morning via Windows Update. Download and installation was routine...

2. Steve S

Two more updates delivered this morning via Windows Update:
    • Intel Bluetooth
    • Intel Extension (whatever that's supposed to be)
    Both installed quickly and without problems.

3. Steve S

Another (??) nVidia update (26.21.14.4223) delivered last Friday morning via Windows Update. The update installed without any issues.

4. Steve S

Two recent updates:
    • Intel Net (??) delivered yesterday via Windows Update
    • ALPS HID Mouse Driver delivered this morning via HP Support Assistant
    Both updates installed without any issues.

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

OK guys. Wish me luck. Hp store refilled its stocks and I just ordered a 16 gb 512 gb model to replace my so servicefull but now dead cintiq companion 1.
    Hope I'll be happy with it!
    I should receive it before the end of the week.

6. Steve S

<<...Wish me luck...>>

Nice website, Olivier.

I think you'll be happy...

7. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks :) A lot of things were drawn on my companion or my galaxy book.
    The companion is definitely dead. I had some repair done on it due to charging issues, then the wifi Bluetooth card died, then the SD card reader. And two days ago it stopped charging again. It served me well during 5 years and I just had the time to save my last working files before the battery was almost empty.
    The hp zbook is on my radar since a few monthes.
    So, I hope it will be as great as I dream it! I really want to like it. The forms factor and the simplicity to plug many things on it are very appealing. My main concern is about palm rejection but from what I understand it shouldn't be a big issue in Clip Studio which I use most of the day.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Make sure you have the pre-pressure set to Tablet PC and not Wintab.....even though the Zbook has wintab support.....I find Clip Studio works way better (pen and touch) when set to Tablet PC.

9. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

OK. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
    I did that on my galaxy book and except some random touch issues once or twice in a day, it works fine.

10. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

So, great day today. I received my brand new Zbook. And overall I really like it.
    First of all, it's a nice object. It feels very solid which is great as I will spend many hours a day on it. I'm always afraid to work too long on the galaxy book, maybe because it's so thin and small.
    Plugs are very firm and tight.
    The screen is really nice and a pleasure to draw on. Very very smooth feeling compared to the Companion. It feels soft and velvety.
    The pen is perfectly sized. I get hand aches with the regular sized Wacom pens. I had to buy a slim one to feel at ease working all day. And the HP pen is almost the same size.
    I installed Clip Studio, imported all my tools and parameters and was reday to go very fast. I spent 4 or 5 hours drawing and colouring today on the ZBook and, even if I feel I'll have to recalibrate a bit some tools pressure curves, it was perfect. Good response to the pressure, no need to calibrate the stylus position. Really, ready to go !!
    Express keys are a bit small and I'll need some time to get used to the spacing. I would have liked one more on the left side, but it's no big deal. I'll launch the radial menu with right sided express key and I'll be good.
    And.... what was frightening me : palm rejection. I have to say I don't see any difference compared to the Galaxy Book. It never occured on Clip Studio to have any problem when I rested my hand on the screen. I may get used to the fact that the stylus needs to be in contact with the screen to desactivate the touch and so, I may put my hand on the screen in a certain way (on the Cintiq, touch is desactivated at teh moment the stylus is seen by the screen). I don't know, but really, I was afraid for nothing.
    If there is a problem I don't notice it.
    The screen doesn't get hot and the fans are very quiet.
    And the keyboard is great. It feels great when attached to the screen, and I have the feeling to work on a real laptop that way. When detached it works as intended. And what I felt lacking a lot since the first day I got my Cintiq Companion, the keyboard is a great screen protector when I'll carry the ZBook around or let it somewhere in the house. With the Companion I was always afraid to ruin the screen when it was in my bag or when I let it on a table. It's really nice to have this useful protection for such an expensive device.
    The ZBook is heavy but no more than the Companion (and so, I think, the MobileStudio).
    The stand is really great too. I was afraid of it not being resistant enough when I positionned it the first time as it is easy to change its angle. But when I draw it doesn't move at all.

I tried my other S-Pen on it (Galaxy Book pen and Staedler) and even if they don't have the exact same sensitivity to pressure, I know I can loose my HP Pen and have some spare while buying a new one.
    By the way did anybody tried the Lamy S-Pen ? I really like the shape and they're really less expensive then the HP Pen (40 € vs 110 €).

I have some cons. Not big ones but I like to be objective.
    Stylus acts as the Galaxy Book one (which seems predictable as it's S-Pen too) when on internet : I can't use it easily to select text or to resize a windows. I need my fingers or to use the keyboard or trackpad.
    The Usb A and HDMI ports are really sticked together. I'll have to invest in a new USB key, mine can't be plugged when my external screen is connected to the HDMI. It's a bit too large.
    I can't type my password on the onscreen keyboard if the stand is not closed (I know there's a registery hack to modify that, I'll see if I need it or not).

So, it seems I have found my dream machine : draw on it like a Cintiq, and with real solid hardware.
    Thanks again to all the TabletPCReview writers. All these objective comments and tricks are great when wanting to buy so specific tools without having the opportunity to see and try them before.

I didn't take the time to install Photoshop and Illustrator as I had some urgent work on Clip Studio to do today, but I can't imagine them working bad on this computer. I'll try to do that in a few days.

Did I say that the ZBook is great ? It's great !!!